Sign in to follow this  
tikigods

Official 2016 Montreal Canadiens Thread

Hockey has a different feel in Detroit this year. The team is young and in transition. First it was hoping they'd make the playoffs, now it's hoping they'll advance. It use to be playoffs were assumed and advancing was expected. Now they're the underdogs and it took seven of the last eight points to advance and all eight to avoid Chicago in round one.

Go Isles! :headbanger:

Loved watching NHL Network this morning - over and over :music_guitarred:

Loved watching NHL Network this morning - over and over :music_guitarred:

The Habs are in for a battle with the Sens. I really hope the Isles can pull off the upset...not because I think it makes life easier for the Habs but a world without Sidney Crosby or the rest of those drags is a good hockey world to wake up to during the playoffs.

The Habs are in for a battle with the Sens. I really hope the Isles can pull off the upset...not because I think it makes life easier for the Habs but a world without Sidney Crosby or the rest of those drags is a good hockey world to wake up to during the playoffs.

Exactly

Woah, all tied up.

:cry:

That was a lame penalty, Cindy was on her way down even without Strait touching her.

Tough loss to take. Unfortunately I called it. Said it was just like game 2 only opposite team. Team that came out flying from the get go lost. Was happy to get t to OT of course.

Gotta go get em Tuesday.

Regardless of what happens, the offseason will be interesting. Couple of things that I think will happen:

Plekanec will be traded for young size on the wing. Yes Plekanec is great but he's on the wrong side of 30 and tends to wear down as the Habs ask him to do too much (think Koivu) for his size. On a team with size to spare, he woud be a great #2 C for a few more years however. Eller can take a step up...he had been our best C for a while now anyway. Pleks' contributions on the PK will have to be filled as a team. Don't think Galchenyuk is ready to be a number 2 C yet but then we have Desharnais, whose been sucking since getting his contract extension but who'll bounce back I think. They should separate him from Pacioretty however as these two seem to be too comfortable together and expecting things to happen on their own.

Habs will trade one of their puck moving Ds for a big minute eater with size on D to play with Subban. Markov cannot play there anymore...he was completely out of gas yesterday. Bouillon needs to be a 6-7 d-man next year. Gorges a 5-6 d-man. They were blowing tires yesterday too. Gorges has heart but the way he plays combined with his small stature makes me think he won't last long if played too much. My guess is that Diaz will be traded with a pick or picks to get the minute eater.

On the FA market, I'm guessing MB will try to upgrade the grit on the bottom 2 lines.

Finally Gionta will be traded some time next year for whatever we can get for him as Habs continue to get bigger.

My Habs fan colleague says that "Passwhenyoureready" (his words, not mine) is apparently a major cancer in the dressing room. Confirm or deny?

Pacioretty? First time I've heard that. Pacioretty says he was asked by coaches to round out his game and that that explains why he doesn't just put down his shoulder and drive the net all the time. Problem is that he NEVER does it now. He doesn't play like a power forward the way he did last year.

Watching him play, I think he lost some speed this year and my theory on that is that he overtrained...gained a lot of strength but lost in areas he needs as a power forward. He is an absolute gym rat but it's possible to overdo it. That paired with Desharnais who struggles at best on D and forecheck (this year....he was pretty good forechecking before the contract) makes it tough for them to keep the puck in the O-Zone effectively. They need to be split up.

Wow was that poor form from the canadians, got the piss beaten out of them literally and figuratively. About as low class as you can get... And they whine about hits LOL... Can only shake your head and laugh.

Wow was that poor form from the canadians, got the piss beaten out of them literally and figuratively. About as low class as you can get... And they whine about hits LOL... Can only shake your head and laugh.

Missed the last part of the game where the nasty stuff happened. Weird...I never expected crap like that against Ottawa. Against the Bruins, I would have thought fisticuffs for the entire series but Ottawa? I guess we'll have a rivalry now....

Anyways, bad game. They've had those before this year and they'll play much better next game once Markov gets a rest. ;-D

Reminds me of Sens Flyers from a few years back.

What's the prediction for tonight's game, Habs fans?

They'll play better - I know: not difficult ;-D. To win they will need 2 things:

1) Nevermind the rock em, sock em hockey....not what got them there and they're ill-equipped to play that style. Let Ottawa take stupid penalties. Dump, chase, skate and skate some more. Markov in unlikely to be a turnstile tonight as he was last game.

2) Price needs to equal Anderson or better him. If he still lets in a couple of beach balls, it'll be interesting to see what Therrien does for the 5th game as he is pretty much all in with Price. I don't mind that much actually...we need to find out if Price has playoff mettle. Right now, the answer is no. The other day Patrick Roy and his former goalie coach François Allaire were commenting on the fact that Price often belly flops when going post to post and they don't know why he does that since it opens up the entire top of the net. The other thing that is clear is that he often slides way to far when moving side to side so if he gives up a rebound, or if the opposing player makes a pass instead of shooting, the net is WIDE open.

Hoping they'll win since I'll be missing most if not all of game 5.

And I gotta say that I'm not happy with Therrien complaining that Gallagher gets hit too much. I'll betcha Gallagher doesn't care. Therrien has been pretty good with the media this year but that was bad. I know he wants to attract the attention of refs to the hits he gets but I think this is as likely to backfire as the refs will see this as him complaining about their work. Should've gone to the other spectrum and said that Gallagher is like the Honey Badger: he doesn't give a shiot.

On another note, I have to laugh at the NHL rationale for handing out shorter suspensions in the playoffs: "Since playoff series are shorter than seasons, a 2-game suspension is much more significant in the playoffs than in-season". I missed the part where the guy is injured for less time however. Putting a guy out of commission for 2 games in the playoffs is also much more significant than in-season, so why shorten the suspensions at all if the impact of the shorter series is felt on both sides? Again, the NHL shows that it is simply not serious about handing out suspensions. Unless the guy getting it is a goon. Then they're real tough.

What's the prediction for tonight's game, Habs fans?

Fvcking 50-1 Sens...if Price is in net.

3-2 Habs if Budaj starts.

Ottawa is getting away with holding, clutching and interference and now Ottawa kicks one in and it counts.

Gorges again on the ice for a key goal....he needs to be a 3rd pairing d next year.....can't fcking keep up.

All of the momentum with Ottawa now...I'll be surprised if the Habs pull this off. Pacioretty and Ryder need to sit the hell down...they're not even trying.

Oh well. :dunno:

Well that series sucked....but it had the advantage of demonstrating beyond a doubt that the Habs need to get at least somewhat bigger. The Gainey gambit that fast smurfs can win in the playoffs can be soundly put to bed now. The mirage a couple years ago created by Halak and Cammalerri being insanely in the zone for 2 playoff series is not sustainable. Unfortunately, that mirage delayed the housecleaning by a couple of years.

The Bergevin presser on Monday will be interesting. If he focusses on the regular season and downplays the playoffs, then we'll know we're in trouble.

Gionta was hurt, Eller was assassinated. Gargamel threw a wrench in the plans. Goaltending sucks tho.