Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Top Ten Impact Rookies - Doug Orth

I would throw out Wheaton, Kelce and Dobson, move back Hopkins and Austin, and add some more RBs like Zac Stacy and Latavius Murray.

I just feel like some random 4th-6th round RB is going to end up getting the starting role.

No latavius murray?! No way mcfadden plays all 16 games.

I talked about Murray last week. While I definitely agree McFadden won't play all 16, how much impact is Murray going to have sharing carries with Rashad Jennings in the 3-4 games D-Mac misses and barely playing in the others? Marcel Reece is very likely to get the work on passing downs regardless.

I would throw out Wheaton, Kelce and Dobson, move back Hopkins and Austin, and add some more RBs like Zac Stacy and Latavius Murray.

I just feel like some random 4th-6th round RB is going to end up getting the starting role.

Emmanuel Sanders can't seem to stay healthy, which is why I think Wheaton belongs. Kelce has a real chance to be relevant and was probably the best all-around TE in the draft. Dobson is better than you think.

I talked about Stacy last week too. How much "work" can he really expect to get as the third-best RB on the team? Sure, he's got power and GL ability that neither Pead/D-Rich have, but how much is that really going to be worth with the Rams? Granted, STL did improve the o-line, but not so much where Stacy will double Steven Jackson's TD totals.

Yeah i know there are plenty of rbs in oak to share the load while dmc is gone. Its more wishful thinking than anything.

Hey Guru,

Where would you have slotted Keenan Allen for this piece?

Thanks

d

The thing about allen is the aging qb who is seeming to lose his touch a bit earlier than most of the good qbs we have seen over the years. It will most likely take allen at least a year to reach fantasy relevance which will be another year of diminished skill from rivers.

The thing about allen is the aging qb who is seeming to lose his touch a bit earlier than most of the good qbs we have seen over the years. It will most likely take allen at least a year to reach fantasy relevance which will be another year of diminished skill from rivers.

How much can be attributed to the horrible O-line play last year in San Diego? I think it was that MNF game vs. Denver that their line couldn't stop the pass rush & Jared Gaither was an absolute turnstill at LT. The only guy worse than him at that position was J'marcus Webb in Chicago.

They added DJ Fluker via the draft but the loss of Louis Vasquez in free agency could set them back as well.

FWIW, I dislike Philip Rivers as much as the next guy & love seeing him getting his head smashed in by defensive players. Thought I'd throw that in there!

Allen is an interesting rookie for redraft purposes. On the surface, it appears he has too many obstacles (his injury, the depth chart and Rivers' declining play). But his skill set, namely in the short and intermediate passing game, is exactly what Rivers needs at this point - considering the offensive line - and there's very little proof to suggest either D. Alexander and/or Malcom Floyd can make it through an entire season. (Vincent Brown hasn't been the picture of health either.)

IMO, Rivers' declining play has a lot more to do with Norv Turner's insistence on remaining a vertical-based offense when the line couldn't support it than it had to do with skill erosion (which has also contributed to his falloff). Hiring HC Mike McCoy was a good move for Rivers while Max Starks and DJ Fluker should be exponentially better at LT and RT than Gaither and Clary.