Sign in to follow this  
edjr

James Neal Suspended 5 Games For Kneeing Brad Marchand In Head

Nhl will not review the Orpik hit on Ericson or the Dupuis slash on Kelly that broke his leg and has him out 6 weeks.

This is why the players feel they have to police the ice themselves.

This is where keeping fighting in the game argument has some merit. If orpik drops the gloves after his hit on Eriksson it never escalates.

This is where keeping fighting in the game argument has some merit. If orpik drops the gloves after his hit on Eriksson it never escalates.

I enjoy hockey fights as much as the next guy, but it is not needed. You don't see it in any other sport, and they all work fine. Besides, losing Orpik, who is one of the Pens top minutes played per game guys and plays against most of the top lines, would be really stupid, and they know this. Orpik played it smart, despite what the macho couch skaters say.

No need for Orpik to fight because someone was mad that their teammate got clocked on a perfectly legal and clean hit. It's fine that Thorton stuck up for his teammate, thats what he gets paid to do, sadly. But that wasn't the time to do so.

Mario (as well as upper mgmt) told Cooke to change his style of play, and Cooke did. If he didn't, he was gone. I'm sure you remember that, right? Funny you didn't mention that as well.

Cooke responded in a way no one thought he could, posting his best couple years ever, with nary a dirty hit/accusation.

He responded by doing what? slashing a guys Achilles with his skate?

I'd say yeah, he stepped right up and became a much better player.

I enjoy hockey fights as much as the next guy, but it is not needed. You don't see it in any other sport, and they all work fine. Besides, losing Orpik, who is one of the Pens top minutes played per game guys and plays against most of the top lines, would be really stupid, and they know this. Orpik played it smart, despite what the macho couch skaters say.

No need for Orpik to fight because someone was mad that their teammate got clocked on a perfectly legal and clean hit. It's fine that Thorton stuck up for his teammate, thats what he gets paid to do, sadly. But that wasn't the time to do so.

Don't want to fight? stop laying guys out.

simple

it's hockey. Clean or not, if you lay a guy out you have to answer for it.

He responded by doing what? slashing a guys Achilles with his skate?

I'd say yeah, he stepped right up and became a much better player.

Yeah, that was on purpose.....

You're better than that ed.

Don't want to fight? stop laying guys out.

simple

it's hockey. Clean or not, if you lay a guy out you have to answer for it.

The game has become faster. Guys are going to get hit hard no matter what. That doesn't mean a fight is necessary.

Yeah, that was on purpose.....

You're better than that ed.

I'm better than that? take of the black and yellow glasses dude.

guys always lift their legs like a dog pissing when they check someone into the board.

Just so HAPPENED it was Cooke that did this? Funny no one else seems to lift their leg and slice a guys tendon.

pure accident.

guys always lift their legs like a dog pissing when they check someone into the board.

Just so HAPPENED it was Cooke that did this? Funny no one else seems to lift their leg and slice a guys tendon.

pure accident.

Psst... Remember a Penguin was doing the slashing, not the other way around...

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby held court with the media following his morning skate. The attack by Bruins forward Shawn Thornton (right, with Crosby) on Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik was naturally a point of discussions. Crosby offered a few thoughts on both players an even offered a partial defense of Thornton's actions:

Should Orpik have fought Thornton after his hit on Loui Eriksson:

"I think that we all know that when a guy gets hit like that, some teams have that response and try to get the guy to fight. Some guys accept that challenge. For [Orpik], he’s got to play 25 minutes a night against the other team’s players. For him to fight, probably isn’t going help us. I don’t think he has to punish our team because he’s made a big hit on some guy. It don’t think make sense for him to fight there. But that happens. Every team responds like that for the most part. Sometimes guys go, sometimes they don’t. There are other ways to respond."

Is it necessary for a player to start a fight after a teammate is hit legally?

"That’s been around for years. I don’t see a problem with that. I don’t see a problem with Thornton going over to [Orpik] and asking him to fight. That’s the response. But to do what he did was totally unnecessary. It’s terrible. I’m sure he knows that more than everybody. He’s made a living at protecting his teammate and sticking up for them. But to confront [Orpik] and ask him to fight, I think every team wants a player like that. There’s nothing wrong with that. But to do what he did to him is not acceptable. He could have done the exact same thing and gotten a two-minute minor for five shifts in a row. There’s nothing wrong with it. … there’s nothing with [Orpik] saying no either. He’s got to play 25 minutes a night against top guys."

"It doesn’t make a lot of sense for him to pay the price for doing a great job and finishing a hit. It’s a clean hit. He didn’t hit him in the head. There’s nothing there to really respond to there. There are times when guys make a big hit and they want to back it up with responding to that challenge to fight. That’s okay too. To try to get him into a fighting scenario, there’s a penalty. But to do what he did there, that’s terrible…. That’s not really the way you do it. Like I said, of anybody, I’m sure Thornton knows that. He’s been sticking up for guys for a long time."

Kind of dumb that the Pittsburgh media would ask a fighting question to Sidney Crosby... I don't know if it happened or not, but that would be just as dumb as asking a fighting question to Wayne Gretzky...

pure accident.

Plenty of articles out there about Cookes transformation. Seek them out, I'm not gonna do it. I know about it. And yes, most hockey analysts at the time were saying it was an accident. I'm not going to keep doing this with you. You have your perception about it, I have mine. You are backing yours up with short youtube clips. There are plenty of articles and interviews out there about it.

Besides, Cooke isn't even a Penguin anymore.

Kind of dumb that the Pittsburgh media would ask a fighting question to Sidney Crosby... I don't know if it happened or not, but that would be just as dumb as asking a fighting question to Wayne Gretzky...

Sid has dropped the gloves, actually to fight Ovechkin.

Greatzky, the worlds greatest all time puzzy don't think ever did.

I think even Mario dropped the gloves a couple times.

Plenty of articles out there about Cookes transformation. Seek them out, I'm not gonna do it. I know about it. And yes, most hockey analysts at the time were saying it was an accident. I'm not going to keep doing this with you. You have your perception about it, I have mine. You are backing yours up with short youtube clips. There are plenty of articles and interviews out there about it.

Besides, Cooke isn't even a Penguin anymore.

I let my own eyes decide, not what other people have to say. Lemieux's defense of Cooke at the time was indefensible.

behind Neely, Lemieux was easily my favorite player to watch. I always took him over Gretzky.

This is why the players feel they have to police the ice themselves.

This is a large reason that the NHL isn't a bigger sport.

Sure, when two idiots are on the ice tugging on sweaters and trying to punch each other, the whole stadium is standing up and cheering. But it is counter-intuitive to growing the sport.

The only point for fighting during the regular season is because the players know the league won't do sh!t to protect the players by offering sever punishment for blatantly trying to injure another player.

Casual fans don't understand that and just think the whole league is full of goons. So they are less apt to become a hardcore fan.

And hardcore "old timers" don't understand that fighting is hampering the popularity of their sport, so they get all bitchy when there is talk about outlawing fighting.

Sid has dropped the gloves, actually to fight Ovechkin.

Greatzky, the worlds greatest all time ###### I don't think ever did.

I think even Mario Lefraud dropped the gloves a couple times.

Most of them probably have dropped the gloves, but kind of funny asking a player that is not known to do that (or at all) a fighting question... Be kind of like asking Marty McSorley about problems in the power play IMO... Something you don't expect the media to do...

This is a large reason that the NHL isn't a bigger sport.

Sure, when two idiots are on the ice tugging on sweaters and trying to punch each other, the whole stadium is standing up and cheering. But it is counter-intuitive to growing the sport.

The only point for fighting during the regular season is because the players know the league won't do sh!t to protect the players by offering sever punishment for blatantly trying to injure another player.

Casual fans don't understand that and just think the whole league is full of goons. So they are less apt to become a hardcore fan.

And hardcore "old timers" don't understand that fighting is hampering the popularity of their sport.

it's the classic catch 22.

stop fighting and lose your hardcore fans

Yep... Personally I think hockey would do just fine without the fighting... I know that when I am at games and a fight breaks out, I am probably one of the very few that sit there shaking my head and not interested in it...

Link

But these guys don't know what they're talking about, right?

From the article:

"But the fact is that this lifting of the leg is a routine maneuver that checkers perform when they are intent on pinning an opponent to the boards, and it occurs perhaps dozens of times in an NHL game."

The old time hardcore fans are slowly disappearing. The same ones that didn't want the helmet rule implemented in the late 80's. There is a large contingent of young hockey fans that played as kids, and perhaps all the way up through college, that never were able to fight on the ice. They coincidentally are probably the ones that like Olympic style open hockey/higher scoring. Which you would probably get without having to dress a goon on your team. Guys like Boogaard couldn't skate, couldn't shoot and couldn't defend.

I know most teams in the past had a designated goon. Not so much anymore. A few teams have them, but they are in the minority now. Mostly, the "goons", are just guys that can play the game pretty good who can also fight.

In other words, the goons of years past would demolish the "goons" currently playing, in a fight. But the goons of the league in todays NHL could skate/shoot circles around goons of the past.

From the article:

"But the fact is that this lifting of the leg is a routine maneuver that checkers perform when they are intent on pinning an opponent to the boards, and it occurs perhaps dozens of times in an NHL game."

I'm not doubting people have a different opinion.

I don't recall anyone else every slashing a guys Achilles with his skate.

I'm not doubting people have a different opinion.

I don't recall anyone else every slashing a guys Achilles with his skate.

I don't need to click that link to know that accidents happen.

pushing down on your skate to the back of someone's ankle is not an accident

I don't need to click that link to know that accidents happen.

pushing down on your skate to the back of someone's ankle is not an accident

I just figured since you're big on posting short youtube clips to back up your claims, you'd have no problem clicking that one.

This has been addressed, and was widely discussed by many who know alot more about the game than you or I, as an accident. Even those that dislike Cooke. But don't let that get in your way.

I just figured since you're big on posting short youtube clips to back up your claims, you'd have no problem clicking that one.

This has been addressed, and was widely discussed by many who know alot more about the game than you or I, as an accident. Even those that dislike Cooke. But don't let that get in your way.

I loved your film in 8 MM, BTW :thumbsup:

I loved your film in 8 MM, BTW :thumbsup:

Wrong kind of snuff. :lol:

Wrong kind of snuff. :lol:

:D

Without even clicking I am willing to bet that this is the Clint Malarchuk accident...