Sign in to follow this  
JTB

Sales people only allowed

I am in sales and our company has a monthly bonus for the top 5%.

Here is the problem. The same select few always win the bonus based on their territory.

I think, like a 50/50 game in Fanduel, the top 50% should get a % of the bottom 50%'s pay.

Would you like a bonus system like this?

BTW, this would, in my opinion, get the entire company to work harder rather than just those who happen to live in NYC or Boston.

You could also move to NY or Boston. But, that would probably suck for you. There is a reason that the top sales people live in those types of markets.

I am in sales and our company has a monthly bonus for the top 5%.

Here is the problem. The same select few always win the bonus based on their territory.

I think, like a 50/50 game in Fanduel, the top 50% should get a % of the bottom 50%'s pay.

Would you like a bonus system like this?

BTW, this would, in my opinion, get the entire company to work harder rather than just those who happen to live in NYC or Boston.

Eh... I don't like it. A couple of thoughts.

1. An incentive plan should incentivize. If you and others outside of the big markets don't perceive a chance of getting the bonus, it is not a good incentive.

2. That being said, when I was in sales everyone everywhere had the same base and the same OTE, albeit with different quotas. So with cost of living, I (living in Phoenix) had a better effective compensation plan than the guys who lived in, say, the bay area.

3. I don't like the idea of any incentive plan which could take money away from others. That discourages teamwork and instead incentivizes people to sabotage other salespeople. I would prefer your idea without taking it away from others, and better yet have it be top 50% of quota (see below).

Do you have a quota? The way sales is supposed to work is that management sets a quota for your territory based on realistic expectations. Bonuses are then based on your performance to that quota.

• Like 1

Eh... I don't like it. A couple of thoughts.

1. An incentive plan should incentivize. If you and others outside of the big markets don't perceive a chance of getting the bonus, it is not a good incentive.

2. That being said, when I was in sales everyone everywhere had the same base and the same OTE, albeit with different quotas. So with cost of living, I (living in Phoenix) had a better effective compensation plan than the guys who lived in, say, the bay area.

3. I don't like the idea of any incentive plan which could take money away from others. That discourages teamwork and instead incentivizes people to sabotage other salespeople. I would prefer your idea without taking it away from others, and better yet have it be top 50% of quota (see below).

Do you have a quota? The way sales is supposed to work is that management sets a quota for your territory based on realistic expectations. Bonuses are then based on your performance to that quota.

Yes, I have a revenue goal based on my geographic location. The ONLY bonus offered is based on the top monthly revenue producers company wide. The bonus is between $3,000 - $8,000 per month!

Yes, I have a revenue goal based on my geographic location. The ONLY bonus offered is based on the top monthly revenue producers company wide. The bonus is between $3,000 - $8,000 per month!

That doesn't really answer my questions. Your quota is based on geographic location, good. So do you all make the same at your revenue goals? If so, you are better off living in a lower cost of living city than the folks in Boston or NY. The incentive plan is not how I would set it up but it also gives those folks in the big (expensive cost of living) markets a way to make more money. So it incentivizes them, but not you.

My sense is that the people who set up this plan are not on the expert end of managing nationwide or global sales forces. So in that respect, I agree with you. :dunno:

Sounds like a whole lot of crying and whining to me.

Envious of the NYC guys? Then go join 'em...if you can hack it

if men can't find a real job they do sales, women become waitresses

if men can't find a real job they do sales, women become waitresses

Who do you buy your butt plugs from?

Who do you buy your butt plugs from?

Your mother sells them to me used