Sign in to follow this  
Bier Meister

coq au vin

3 3 1/2 lb chickens (parted into 8's-> can buy em that way if you don't want to be the butcher)

6- 8 slices of bacon (small dice)
24 pearl onions
1 1/2 lb button mushrooms (sliced)
1 qt red wine
1 pt chicken stock
sachet of: thyme, bay leaf, 4 crushed garlic cloves

2 oz of butter (softened)
2 oz of flour

preheat over to 300. crisp the bacon in pot or pan. remove from pot or pan (but save). sear chicken. remove. boil pearl onions for 2-3 min. peel. saute oinions and mushrooms until brown. remove and save. pour off fat from pan. add wine and stock- bring to boil. add sachet. return chicken to pot/pan. bring back to a boil. cook covered in oven until done (30-40 min). again... lol... remove chicken (can hold it in low temp oven). on stove, bring liquid to boil. add mushrooms, onions, bacon. reduce liquid to 1 qt. mix the butter and flour in a bowl (called a beurre manie- uncooked roux). add just enough to thicken using a wisk.

serve over chicken.

Can this be done in a crockpot with the understanding the bacon will be cooked and consumed during the preparation process?

Do not know. I haven't used a crock. I am sure there is a way to do it.

Do not know. I haven't used a crock. I am sure there is a way to do it.

Im thinking putting all the ingredients in except the flour and put it on low for 8 hours, then stir in the flour using the bacon

You should definitely add the fat/flour mixture towards the end of cooking... It is just a thickening agent.

Can this be done in a crockpot with the understanding the bacon will be cooked and consumed during the preparation process?

If you're looking for something similar - I actually did this this morning before I left.

* 1" bone in pork chops

* can cream of mushroom soup

* package of gravy mix, any kind really

* 8 oz. sliced mushrooms

* 1/3 cup sour cream

* butter

* parsley

Combined c/m/soup with gravy mix, toss in crock... Add mushrooms on top of that... Season chops with s&p, browned in butter - add to crock... Deglazed pan with a little water then add that to crock... Set it for low - will mix in 1/3 cup sour cream just before serving and top with parsley.

If you're looking for something similar - I actually did this this morning before I left.

* 1" bone in pork chops

* 8 oz. sliced mushrooms

* 1/3 cup sour cream

* butter

* parsley

Combined c/m/soup with gravy mix, toss in crock... Add mushrooms on top of that... Season chops with s&p, browned in butter - add to crock... Deglazed pan with a little water then add that to crock... Set it for low - will mix in 1/3 cup sour cream just before serving and top with parsley.

Nice, sounds good. My wife is doing a crock pot beef stroganoff today, recipe is very similar to yours. Easy and tastes pretty good

* 1" bone in pork chops

* 8 oz. sliced mushrooms

* 1/3 cup sour cream

* butter

* parsley

not to bust balls, but that more closely resembles a stroganoff (which i also like) than a coq au vin.

A simple stroganoff:

Beef strips: 1 pound; thin pieces sized 1 1/2 inches
Chopped shallots or onions: 1/3 cups
Sliced mushrooms: 1/2 pound
Butter: 6 table spoons
Nutmeg: 1/8 teaspoon
Dry or fresh tarragon: 1/2 teaspoon
Salt and Pepper: to taste
Sour cream or yoghurt: 1 cup (not chilled)

Step 1: Melt three table spoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat and adjust the heat to add the thin beef strips cooked till brown.Make sure that the butter should not get burnt. Add some pepper and salt while cooking the strips and after it is done take them in a bowl and keep aside.

Step 2: In the same pan, add shallots to cook for a few minutes and then keep them with the meat.

Step 3: Now comes the part to cook the mushrooms. Melt another three table spoons of butter in the same skillet and increase the heat adding the mushrooms in the pan.

Step 4: Stirring occasionally, cook the mushrooms for at least 4- 6 minutes. while the mushrroms are getting ready, add some tarragon and nutmeg to the mushrooms and lower the flame.

Step 5: Now add the sour cream to the cooking mushrooms in the pan.

Step 6: If you feel that the sauce needs to be thinned then add a little water (may be two table spoons) to the pan. Make sure the sour cream gets mixed with the mushrooms properly without simmering. Now put the shallots and beef in the pan and add some pepper and salt to it.

another chicken recipe i like doing... a little quicker than the coq au vin, but similar:

4-6 chicken thighs
about 4 oz sliced crimini
about 2-3 shallots (sliced)
3-4 slices of pancetta
4 oz chicken broth
4 oz white wine ( i used a cali chard and it was fine)
italian seasonings - a fw shakes
2 oz balsamic

dice pancetta (1/4 inch). render and crisp in pan or skillet. set aside. season chicken with s&p. sear (brown both sides). set aside. saute mushrooms and shallots. i acutally covered them for 4-5 minutes then sauted for 4 min. add broth and wine. bring to boil. add chicken back to pan. cover and cook for about 30 min (just want it simmering). when chicken is done, put it aside covered. in the pan, add the balsamic and herbs. reduce to thicken. s&p to taste. serve-> pour over chicken then hit it with the pancetta. we did it with pilaf tonight, but i think a roasted red potato with herbs would have have been great with it.....

12-20 red potatoes
1/2 stick of butter (melted)
herbs of you choice or lawry's or old bay

quarter potatoes. place in pot with salted cold water. bring to a boil. cook until they are about 70% done (you want them to hold their form). strain and cool just enough to handle. toss in large bowl with butter and herbs. lay out on sheet tray (cookie tray) roast at 425 until golden and crispy.

i have also used these when doing fondue.

not to bust balls, but that more closely resembles a stroganoff (which i also like) than a coq au vin.

I know - which is why I said, "if you're looking for something similar" in reference to his crock pot mention....

I know - which is why I said, "if you're looking for something similar" in reference to his crock pot mention....

Easy now, ladies. You are all good cooks and I'm sure you give a fine BJ as well :thumbsup:

Easy now, ladies. You are all good cooks and I'm sure you give a fine BJ as well :thumbsup:

Ha, what did I do? :dunno:

11 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

^^

Edit: dank was good people

Haha my Facebook post got you thinking about the ol wine rooster huh?