Sign in to follow this  
TennisMenace

Advice appreciated: Ethics question

I swiped Karlos Williams and Christine Michael this week with absolutely NO intention of starting them. My opponent in the championship game (who knows nothing about fantasy football and is the luckiest SOB on the planet to be there) was weak at RB and I wanted to leave NOTHING there for him if I could. I'm rostering 7 RB's right now and started only two, Latavius Murray and Tim Hightower.

You play fantasy by stacking your roster with best available you don't leave guys for other owners

I can't believe we are discussing this

You play fantasy by stacking your roster with best available you don't leave guys for other owners

I can't believe we are discussing this

Agreed. NFL teams don't draft starters and say "Oh well, we have our starters, let's leave the other good guys for the rest of the teams in the league so it will be fair." Hell no, they load up as much as they can and the cap will allow and give the finger to everybody else.

I swiped Karlos Williams and Christine Michael this week with absolutely NO intention of starting them. My opponent in the championship game (who knows nothing about fantasy football and is the luckiest SOB on the planet to be there) was weak at RB and I wanted to leave NOTHING there for him if I could. I'm rostering 7 RB's right now and started only two, Latavius Murray and Tim Hightower.

Fantasy sports is 100% luck anyway...

Fantasy sports is 100% luck anyway...

Mostly luck. But that premise is why I stopped wanting to write for fantasy sports. Educated guessing and blind luck isn't something you can sell in a column.

You can come up with rules to make a league 'less lucky'.

And good lord folks...this year should've taught everyone a simple truth in fantasy: you're a twisted knee, rolled ankle, or gimpy shoulder away from needing another player. Aka stock up!

If you're walking around with a 'starters only' fantasy team when you have the option to improve your bench, you're doing it wrong and you're messing up your league in at least a small way by allowing good players to hang out on the free agent list while you roster cj spiller types. It kills off the need to trade / be active. And it bails out other teams when they roster risky folks and get caught with no players.

In leagues that still allow waivers late in the season my strategy is almost always the same, this year being no different. I try to acquire a collection of good RB and WR and eschew backups at just about every other position. I had 1 QB, 1 TE, 1 DST and 1 K...on a 15 team roster (9 starters/6 backups) I'm carrying 7 RB and 4 WR (was previously 6 RB/5 WR but dropped Amendola after the injury last week). I do that to give myself the best possible matchups AND take away as many options as I can from my opponent. To put is plainly, if you're not playing to win, you're playing to lose.

Wrap this topic up: his guy, Megatron played so it was moot.

The two guys I picked up to block him did very little. Wheaton got 4.7 and Diggs got even less. Oh well....