Sign in to follow this  
nobody

It's time to do away with the tightend position

Here's the thing. We usually don't score tightends any differently than receivers. The NFL is moving to a point where they pretty much lineup in the slot on a regular basis. I don't see why we treat them as a separate category of pass catcher.

In the league I run, we lump tightends and wide receivers together. Today I ask you to join me in this brave new world. A world where we don't discriminate by size, or by proximity to the edge of the o-line or by propensity to block more or block less. Let's treat these pass catchers the same and end the senseless segregation. If a players primary job is in the context of fantasy football is to catch passes, then, by golly, that player should be considered with all pass catchers. Change Starts With Us!

My league has never had tight ends. It's been around for 27 years.

Running backs get hurt all the time and we go after those who catch a lot of passes in PPR leagues, soon people will want to get rid of them. And in single QB leagues they are all so close together why have those?

Seriously though I like having TEs. It's another dimension to have to take into account for spending and prioritizing draft and FA. I would never vote for getting rid of them in my league. We got rid of kickers a few years back and I'm not even sure I am a fan of that. I would actually consider leaving my league of nearly 20 years if this were to be introduced.

Here's the thing. We usually don't score tightends any differently than receivers. The NFL is moving to a point where they pretty much lineup in the slot on a regular basis. I don't see why we treat them as a separate category of pass catcher.

In the league I run, we lump tightends and wide receivers together. Today I ask you to join me in this brave new world. A world where we don't discriminate by size, or by proximity to the edge of the o-line or by propensity to block more or block less. Let's treat these pass catchers the same and end the senseless segregation. If a players primary job is in the context of fantasy football is to catch passes, then, by golly, that player should be considered with all pass catchers. Change Starts With Us!

sounds like someone missed out on Gronk & Kelce and is now trying to level the playing field.

wow you were doing fantasy football in 1990? when was it invented?

Why do we spend so much time and effort worrying about these type of things?

1) Start a league

2) Institute a scoring system that eliminates the TE. Or one that emphasizes the TE. Or whatever gradient of in between these two your little commissioner heart desires.

3) Profit.

That would be like asking this group to not argue about the better value between two or more players. You could say, "Just pick the player you want and get on with it. Why waste time talking about it?"

This message board would be empty. Articles and open discussion would be silenced. Draft day could be held in a library. Fantasy football players would morph into priests or mass murderers or pottery makers (whatever they're called).

Oh dear God, the humanity...

• Like 1

wow you were doing fantasy football in 1990? when was it invented?

I didn't get in the league when it started. lol Also, to clarify my post, we can use TE in the WR lineup spot. We just don't designate a roster spot for it.

My league did indeed start before the internet, and even email. The commissioner, after manually compiling the stats and standings, drove around town each Wednesday night to deliver them to the other league owners. We have 1 guy that has been in it every single season. He's only won the overall championship once.

I don't know when FF was invented. Our league is different than most today. Since it wasn't around back then, it was modeled after rotisserie baseball.

• Like 1

I didn't get in the league when it started. lol Also, to clarify my post, we can use TE in the WR lineup spot. We just don't designate a roster spot for it.

My league did indeed start before the internet, and even email. The commissioner, after manually compiling the stats and standings, drove around town each Wednesday night to deliver them to the other league owners. We have 1 guy that has been in it every single season. He's only won the overall championship once.

I don't know when FF was invented. Our league is different than most today. Since it wasn't around back then, it was modeled after rotisserie baseball.

Thats awesome. I was in a league in the early 90s. We just waited until Monday/Tuesday to get the paper and check the stats and figure out who won each game. It was just as fun then as it is now.

Ours,too. Year 20. We treat them as another receiver and typically about half a dozen get drafted. I am proud to say I have never drafted one.

We're doing away with K & D. Also changing lineup requirements to:

1 (each) QB, RB, WR, TE

4 Flex (RB/WR/TE)

I thought about shelving TEs but I think it's deep enough in a 10 team to continue requiring 1 to start. Of course your #2(+) TE will suck arse unless you go up & grab him earlier.