Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Auction Results and Strategies

Hell yeah bud. Thanks a lot. I think I may go for a top rb and then fill a few of my receiver slots will guys like ARob and Amari Cooper.

I found that this year the auction values seemed to support the so-called "zero RB" strategy. Go for guys around RB20-35 and focus resources in the top WRs.

Of course it depends how many WRs you can start in your league

I found that this year the auction values seemed to support the so-called "zero RB" strategy. Go for guys around RB20-35 and focus resources in the top WRs.

Of course it depends how many WRs you can start in your league

Up to 4 in this league. Tight end is flexed in with a receiver slot.

It almost feels like you're looking for a template to go by. There isn't one. I've been doing auction every year for a decade. No draft is the same. Some player values are baffling high and some are far lower than they should be. You can't know how positions will fill and how another person will value a particular player. It's a large part of the appeal of auction style drafts! The inevitable variability of it.

One rule of thumb remains the same. Aggressively go after studs. You don't usually win those leagues with a bunch of average players.

No I don't want a template to follow. I know I won't be able to come close to predicting how the draft will turn out. What I am trying to do is get a feel for what I would be most comfortable doing in my draft.

Try to pair Djohns with one of Julio, AB, or OBJ. Is this too expensive and leaves me with less flexibility when people start going for good value?

Do I pair a top rb with two of Cooper, Arob, Cooks etc that add up to what Brown goes for.

Do I go for multiple studs receivers and then try to land Lacy as my value starter along with Bell.

In the mocks I have done I have gotten 3 studs, but then I am left with no buying power for the next few rounds of nominations. Plus I have a hard time paying attention to multiple things going on. It makes having a near set strategy easier on me. I come to a draft with a list of players I can't forget about, because I will completely forget about some players.

Honestly you just have to look at projected values along w/ some real drafts and try to figure out how you can get the best value. For example, I see value in Maclin/Baldwin/Tate/Landry/Cobb this year so I don't mind waiting especially compared to the RB's that are being drafted in that range (minus L. Murray).

If you are only going to do one auction, you're just going to have to look at those options you listed and do what you feel most comfortable with. No one is really going to be able to tell you which one is the right one.

One recommendation: keep an eye on whether players as a whole are going for more or less than their avg value. I kind of up in my last draft because I noticed that the early players were going for much less than I had seen them in the mocks and I probably should have adjusted my strategy because I was left in a limbo while filling out my bench in that everyone had more money than I expected and I had trouble getting a good RB3/WR4 and ended up overpaying for very marginal players because I was a bit desperate. I either should have just gone yolo and stacked my starters and filled the bench w/ $1 guys or saved a little more to get some better bench players.

Honestly you just have to look at projected values along w/ some real drafts and try to figure out how you can get the best value. For example, I see value in Maclin/Baldwin/Tate/Landry/Cobb this year so I don't mind waiting especially compared to the RB's that are being drafted in that range (minus L. Murray).

If you are only going to do one auction, you're just going to have to look at those options you listed and do what you feel most comfortable with. No one is really going to be able to tell you which one is the right one.

One recommendation: keep an eye on whether players as a whole are going for more or less than their avg value. I kind of ###### up in my last draft because I noticed that the early players were going for much less than I had seen them in the mocks and I probably should have adjusted my strategy because I was left in a limbo while filling out my bench in that everyone had more money than I expected and I had trouble getting a good RB3/WR4 and ended up overpaying for very marginal players because I was a bit desperate. I either should have just gone yolo and stacked my starters and filled the bench w/ $1 guys or saved a little more to get some better bench players.

Agreed. The one flexibility I must allow myself is to identify right off the bat if studs are going for lower than expected, higher, or right in the middle. If they go for lower, which I believe will happen due to people being a little gun shy, I will probably have a few studs on my roster right off the bat.

Well I just had my first real auction. I wont post all the deets since it was all done in person in a bar. So no copy paste option. Here is my reaction to what I did:

The prep, especially mocks, was very important. Even though the mocks on yahoo were only a $200 limit, it still gave me an idea of what players would go for. Yahoo was actually pretty close, although I think it was more to do with my auction being new to most everyone.

I went out aggressive early. Reason being is from what I read I assumed my league would be at least a little gun shy at first to spend money. The one person who I was a little nervous about was my best friend since he was talking about how everyone would be shy. Well it turned out he was a little gun shy at first himself.

Mish asks, who wants to nominate first. My eyes light up at the option to go first and I say MEEE!!

I nominate my top rated rb this year first off, David Johnson.

I would have gotten him for $46 on a $250 budget, but the new guy we recruited hours earlier (2 owners quit) saw the flawed logic behind letting me get DJohns for so cheap and bid me up to $56. My overall draft would have been even more sick if I had gotten away with $46.

Other notable top RBs

Peterson 54

Miller 52

Elliot 61

Gurley 61

Bell 50

Next bid is Odell Beckham. I end up getting him for $63. I decided I would get a top 3 receiver since I know others are devoting some of their money to IDPs, even though they arent all that valuable past the top 2ish.

Other notable top WRs

Brown 92 (yeah it got serious at this point)

Dez 55

Green 51 (got him also)

Robinson 49

Jones 72 (way too much)

Hopkins 55

So after Johnson I filled my running backs with every week 1 starter who may not be the starter by week 4. If I could start 5 rbs week 1, I would probably set a record. My receivers are a little weaker after the top 2, but they are still pretty solid. Its a keeper league so I was aiming for potential 2017 value.

My QBs combined cost $3

In conclusion, I couldn't imagine my first auction draft going any better. I got enough top guys, plus I got my keeper value guys, plus I never felt like i over payed for anyone. I saw many guys go for way more than I can imagine, and I genuinely think people in my league looked at what I did and thought, That's how you attack an auction. I thank everyone on here who helped me get the favorable result. Even if I don't win, I know my strategy was sound :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Well I just had my first real auction. I wont post all the deets since it was all done in person in a bar. So no copy paste option. Here is my reaction to what I did:

The prep, especially mocks, was very important. Even though the mocks on yahoo were only a $200 limit, it still gave me an idea of what players would go for. Yahoo was actually pretty close, although I think it was more to do with my auction being new to most everyone.

I went out aggressive early. Reason being is from what I read I assumed my league would be at least a little gun shy at first to spend money. The one person who I was a little nervous about was my best friend since he was talking about how everyone would be shy. Well it turned out he was a little gun shy at first himself.

Mish asks, who wants to nominate first. My eyes light up at the option to go first and I say MEEE!!

I would have gotten him for $46 on a $250 budget, but the new guy we recruited hours earlier (2 owners quit) saw the flawed logic behind letting me get DJohns for so cheap and bid me up to $56. My overall draft would have been even more sick if I had gotten away with $46.

Other notable top RBs

Peterson 54

Miller 52

Elliot 61

Gurley 61

Bell 50

Next bid is Odell Beckham. I end up getting him for $63. I decided I would get a top 3 receiver since I know others are devoting some of their money to IDPs, even though they arent all that valuable past the top 2ish.

Other notable top WRs

Dez 55

Green 51 (got him also)

Robinson 49

Jones 72 (way too much)

Hopkins 55

So after Johnson I filled my running backs with every week 1 starter who may not be the starter by week 4. If I could start 5 rbs week 1, I would probably set a record. My receivers are a little weaker after the top 2, but they are still pretty solid. Its a keeper league so I was aiming for potential 2017 value.

My QBs combined cost $3

In conclusion, I couldn't imagine my first auction draft going any better. I got enough top guys, plus I got my keeper value guys, plus I never felt like i over payed for anyone. I saw many guys go for way more than I can imagine, and I genuinely think people in my league looked at what I did and thought, That's how you attack an auction. I thank everyone on here who helped me get the favorable result. Even if I don't win, I know my strategy was sound :thumbsup:

can you post your lineup and what you paid for each player?

Other notable top RBs

Peterson 54

Miller 52

Elliot 61

Gurley 61

Bell 50

Other notable top WRs

Dez 55

Green 51 (got him also)

Robinson 49

Jones 72 (way too much)

Hopkins 55

My QBs combined cost $3

Nice, sounds like you owned it. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great draft - hope my auction goes as well Tuesday!

Mine is a 2 QB league, so I'm never sure what the auction values will turn out to be. Usually I try to get 1 top RB, WR and QB, whoever falls in value the most at the top tier .. but the top tiers are so small this year that I might have to try the pre-emptive bid this time.

Sounds like a great draft - hope my auction goes as well Tuesday!

Mine is a 2 QB league, so I'm never sure what the auction values will turn out to be. Usually I try to get 1 top RB, WR and QB, whoever falls in value the most at the top tier .. but the top tiers are so small this year that I might have to try the pre-emptive bid this time.

2 QB leagues are tougher. Thats for sure.

You gotta know about every QB who will start.

in 1 QB leagues you only need to know who the top 12-15 will be. All the rest dont matter unless there are a lot of injuries.

• Like 1

Tyrod Taylor 2

Dak Prescott 1

David Johnson 56

Carlos Hyde 15

Spencer Ware 10

C. Michael 2

Deangelo 4

Terrance West 1

Odell Beckham 63

AJ Green 51

Doug Baldwin 10

Tyler Lockett 12

Corey Coleman 5

Tyrell Williams 3

Malcom Mitchell 1

Telvin Smith 2

Ben Heeney 1

Aaron Donald 1

Brandin McManus 1

This is why auctions are the way to go - you must constantly adjust on the fly. I went into our auction with the idea of attempting the zero RB strategy and I was thrown a curveball when I got D. Johnson for $22 ($100 cap). Elliott came up next and I couldn't pass on the value I thought was being offered and I got him for $25. (Some may feel that's a bit high but I feel he'll be the top RB this year). My strategy suddenly shifted. This is a 14-team league so it was extremely hard to find value at the WR position (many owners were attempting the zero RB strategy). I was left with this:

D. Carr ($3)

R. Fitzpatrick ($2)

D. Johnson ($22)

E. Elliott ($25)

A. Foster ($7)

G. Bernard ($7)

C. Michaels ($3)

Marvin Jones ($8)

K. White ($4)

J. Brown ($2)

T. Austin ($4)

G. Olsen ($9)

C. Walford ($3)

Oakland Def/ST ($1)

*** Totally different than I envisioned in any mock I did or just penciling in a team. My WR group is rather weak but there were no value picks on WR 1-30. Besides, this is a league that likes to trade and I'm hoping along with my top 2 RB's, Foster, Bernard, and/or Michael will impress in the first 3 weeks and I'll be able to package something for a WR #1. Not looking necessarily for comments on my team, just the fact that you must be ready to quickly change strategies when it comes to auctions.

• Like 1