Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Tires!

You never go cheap on tires, shoes, or mattresses.

Handling, gas mileage, etc..

Go with a Michelin, Bridgestone, or continental. Stay away from Goodyear.

Meh. I always get whatever is on sale and has a decent treadwear rating. You may have a point with shoes and mattresses.

Meh. I always get whatever is on sale and has a decent treadwear rating. You may have a point with shoes and mattresses.

You are in a 3-4000 lb hunk of metal and the only thing keeping you from becoming a projectile is a few inches of contact patch in a tire...

grip and treadwear are inversely related

I ended up getting Michelin Defenders, $148 each which was the same price as Discount Tire but I had a 15% off coupon on top of it. Drove from there to the airport in a thunderstorm and they handled rain well, which isn't terribly common here but, like California, when it rains it pours.

Thanks all for your help. :cheers:

• Like 1

Most people that drive BMW's are diks. Fact.

Only to people who do not know how to drive, which is unfortunately 70-80% of the drivers on the road.

You are in a 3-4000 lb hunk of metal and the only thing keeping you from becoming a projectile is a few inches of contact patch in a tire...

grip and treadwear are inversely related

Amazingly, I have yet to be a victim of bargain tires. Like a lot of car safety issues, even the worst option is still relatively good.

Histrionics aside, this is another example of people not understanding risk. How often do you think tire failure (performance or otherwise) is the principle cause of an accident? How many accidents would be averted if everyone used the "best" tires?

Amazingly, I have yet to be a victim of bargain tires. Like a lot of car safety issues, even the worst option is still relatively good.

Histrionics aside, this is another example of people not understanding risk. How often do you think tire failure (performance or otherwise) is the principle cause of an accident? How many accidents would be averted if everyone used the "best" tires?

Probably depends on your climate but it can make a big difference in northern climes. Of course we're probably talking about all season or winter tires. But if you've got good ones you can be far better off