Kopy

Question for Dynasty League players.

Obviously your drafts are just a couple round, rookie/available fa's as you already have your teams.

How do you guy's draft your players? Assuming you've tried to trade and can't get to where you want do be for the players ADP. Do you draft someone else? Or do you say f'it, and take your guy whenever possible? Even if it's extremely early.

I play in four dynasty leagues that have been going on for between 5 and 15 years. I've won multiple league championships in all but the 5 year one. So I'm pretty experienced in dynasty leagues, and what works. My leagues we keep 8 or 10 minimum, so usually the core of everybody's team is still there. The FA pool is usually kind of shallow with a couple of exceptions.

I have always found the draft to be much more unpredictable than a redraft. You can pretty much guarantee the top 3-4 rookie RBs are going in the first round. The top WRs go early too but not like the RBs because it takes WRs longer to develop. I always draft whichever player I want and don't focus so much on the ADP because it's not nearly as relevant. If you can work a deal and move back to get something, that's great but I wouldn't let it stop me from drafting a player I wanted. I drafted Peyton Manning when he went to Denver earlier than it said I should have and it paid off more than I ever could have hoped for. Did the same thing with Kareem Hunt when he was a rookie. Of course I've taken risks that haven't paid off but I say trust your gut, it usually pays off.

Six round rookie/fa draft (34 roster spots + 5 IR + 5 Taxi). IPD league.

I'd say you should have some idea who is going to be there the first two rounds. After that is a total crapshoot of BAPs.

Great bunch of rookie WRs and I think it would wise to throw some resources that way early and often.

Agree......RBs go quick and WRs are slower to draft due to the time it takes to develop them. QBs are also later to be drafted.

7 hours ago, Kopy said:

Obviously your drafts are just a couple round, rookie/available fa's as you already have your teams.

How do you guy's draft your players? Assuming you've tried to trade and can't get to where you want do be for the players ADP. Do you draft someone else? Or do you say f'it, and take your guy whenever possible? Even if it's extremely early.

If I can see a path to immediate playing time for "my guy" I will just take him (plodder in front, etc) too early.

If its a guy I like who seems bit in the depth chart weeds I'll trade out, most times for an appropriate future pick, then see if I can work something out in the same draft when a more realistic ADP rolls if he is still on the board. That's a change from the way I did things when I started. Trading for the pick tends to work out pretty well because its a liquid form of capital which doesn't use a roster slot deviating from the plan and worst case scenario I use it to get another "my guy" in the next draft.

Sometimes I get burned of course when the player I thought was buried has a sudden opportunity, but more often than not there is a chance to get the guy later even cheaper or at least a better value than taking him well above ADP.  The worst is when I make that call and the guy picking right after me then picks my crush because I know even if its awhile before the player does anything, the owner spent so much capital on him I'm just not going to get the opportunity.................. but its rare.

Most times I have been able to come out with better capital with this method. It's been formulated over many years and many leagues. It works for me.

I got 1.12. And I'm seeing my guy go between 2.7 and 3.2 usually. (Of course alot could change after the draft)

Not having any luck trading back. Everybody loves this draft and wants to do the same, move down and get more picks. So if I want him, it's take him at the end of round 1 and ADP be damned.

6 hours ago, Kopy said:

I got 1.12. And I'm seeing my guy go between 2.7 and 3.2 usually. (Of course alot could change after the draft)

Not having any luck trading back. Everybody loves this draft and wants to do the same, move down and get more picks. So if I want him, it's take him at the end of round 1 and ADP be damned.

Smart move, who is it you're targeting?