Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Debating replacing fence

Situation: Single family home. Looks decent on the outside, needs tons of aesthetic renovation and has a few major work needs inside (electrical rewiring being the biggest one). 

Good sized yard spanning a corner (ample width, moderate depth).

Cyclone fence in long L shape, fences in the backyard. Spans a small second driveway that leads into backyard and entire length of neighbor's long driveway. Neighbor's property looks better overall.

Visible backyard leaves something to be desired. Spring/summer plant life helps a lot. Looks ugly in Fall/Winter.

Probably going to sell the property before doing any of the major work inside the house.

Want to replace the cyclone fence with a wood fence.

Brother says it'd be sinking money. Future potential buyers would expect the wood fence, so it wouldn't come across like value added. 

I'm thinking maybe wouldn't get as much because of that same reason - people would expect a wood fence yet not get it (everyone in the neighborhood who had cyclone upgraded years ago)...so would still come out even if I put a fence in :dunno:

If you're going to sell immediately and never live there, I wouldn't bother with a fence.  Fences are a very situational thing.  People with large pets, may want a higher fence.  People with small pets may want a low fence with a lot of visibility.  People with kids, may want a privacy fence.  People with neither, may not want one at all.  Picking one before you sell could limit your selling options.

The "be a better neighbor" (aesthetically speaking), "enjoy the front and backyard more" and "finally get rid of allergenic hedges" if I put a fence in, side of me, just really wants to put it in.

Don't want to waste money though. Apparently wood is pricier than usual right now.

No immediate plans to move but wouldn't be at all surprised to move sometime within the next 1-3 years.

Sounds like you're still on the fence about it.  🤔

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, naomi said:

The "be a better neighbor" (aesthetically speaking), "enjoy the front and backyard more" and "finally get rid of allergenic hedges" if I put a fence in, side of me, just really wants to put it in.

Don't want to waste money though. Apparently wood is pricier than usual right now.

No immediate plans to move but wouldn't be at all surprised to move sometime within the next 1-3 years.

I would be totally with you if you were going to live there for long period of time.  Me, I'd put up a high fence that yields some visibility.  Something like this.

25 minutes ago, naomi said:

Situation: Single family home. Looks decent on the outside, needs tons of aesthetic renovation and has a few major work needs inside (electrical rewiring being the biggest one). 

Good sized yard spanning a corner (ample width, moderate depth).

Cyclone fence in long L shape, fences in the backyard. Spans a small second driveway that leads into backyard and entire length of neighbor's long driveway. Neighbor's property looks better overall.

Visible backyard leaves something to be desired. Spring/summer plant life helps a lot. Looks ugly in Fall/Winter.

Probably going to sell the property before doing any of the major work inside the house.

Want to replace the cyclone fence with a wood fence.

Brother says it'd be sinking money. Future potential buyers would expect the wood fence, so it wouldn't come across like value added. 

I'm thinking maybe wouldn't get as much because of that same reason - people would expect a wood fence yet not get it (everyone in the neighborhood who had cyclone upgraded years ago)...so would still come out even if I put a fence in :dunno:

electrical wiring no ground?

You might want to ask your neighbors before you put up a wood fence. It might cause some bad blood. Then again they might want to do the same and pay half.

TBay, that's an interesting idea.  

Former neighbor put in a wood fence where our backyards meet. Left the cyclone in place. He ended it where his front yard starts (still my backyard though). He was hands-on, had a door business. Offered to go half in on finishing the span between our properties and do the rest of the labor (small part of the L) on mine for free. I really appreciated the offer and was holding onto it but then he moved.

Neighbors would approve, I'm sure. Should help their property value.

9 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

electrical wiring no ground?

You might want to ask your neighbors before you put up a wood fence. It might cause some bad blood. Then again they might want to do the same and pay half.

Basically one particular circuit (as I understand it) was fried, and it translates into about 40% of outlets being dead.

35 minutes ago, naomi said:

Basically one particular circuit (as I understand it) was fried, and it translates into about 40% of outlets being dead.

Sounds like your money is better pent fixing that. I'm not buying a house with that problem even if you have the great wall of China in the backyard.

And I would guess, Cali being a blue state, it would almost Definately fail inspection anyway.