Sign in to follow this  
smperry

League scoring change advice

We are old school, 12 good buddies, free but competitive league(now) and have never make changes to scoring or setup in 25 years.
1qb, 2wrs, 2rbs, 1te, 1k, 1d. Plus 5 bench players.

I would like to add in a flex player or two and maybe even points per reception. Anything else to spice it up?

What do you suggest that has worked the best for your league?  Thank you.

Change it from a free league to a $100 entry fee, and the loser has to get a tattoo of Trump getting vaccinated while wearing a mask.

Based on your current set up, I'd say you need to get more position players started every week. With only 24 wrs and rbs started across the league, you're only scratching the surface of players. I'd add a wr slot and a flex. Just by adding those two spots you're going from 48 non te position players to 72. Everything from your draft, to starting lineups,  to waiver wire would change dramatically. Third down and back up running backs, secondary receivers all become relevant and potential starting options. Adding an extra bench spot or two would be a good too if you do this. 

Other suggestions.

If you aren't using FAAB for waivers, that's a solid change leagues should be looking into.

Two win system. Teams get a head to head win and a win for being in the top half of league scores. The impact of losing because of a bad matchup is lessoned, and rarely do teams with most points scored miss the playoffs.

Switching scoring systems is always on option, but I don't think it makes a league more or less fun, just different. It can also be hard for established leagues to agree to scoring changes.

• Like 2

I would suggest two things.

Don't change the rules all at once. Maybe add one change per season. Add a flex spot this season, go PPR next.

Also one scoring change I would highly recommend is scoring play distance pts,

For example,  a TD on a play of 40-49 yards is 8 pts, and then a TD on a plays of 50+ yds is 10 pts

• Like 1

I would agree, stop with the free league ideal, when someone pays they get more involved right away. 

I would just add a flex slot.  

And make it 6 deep on the bench. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 2:58 PM, weepaws said:

I would agree, stop with the free league ideal, when someone pays they get more involved right away. 

I would just add a flex slot.  

And make it 6 deep on the bench. 

Thanks.  Did just that, but we'll keep it free, it works for us. 
Also added one point per reception.