Nikeguy23

League Format

My league is considering transitioning to a points only league for this year. Head to Head matchups would only occur in the playoffs.
Is anyone aware of a host site that offers this? That is: a points only scoring system for Weeks 1-14 (regular season) whereby the top teams make the playoffs; and then a single elimination playoff bracket to determine a champ.  
ESPN doesn’t even offer points only option anymore, so we may have to pivot. 

I think Yahoo offers it, but if you type your question into a search engine you should have a bunch of options. HTH…

• Thanks 1

Yahoo has points-only leagues, but I'm not sure you can make one flip to a H2H format for the playoffs.

Like the move to points only league, I’m hoping to see the league I’ve been in since the late 80es votes to do that next year, it was almost voted in this season , right now we do both hth plus total points. 

I think total points only would be better, total points show the true value of a team.  

NFL.com has the option to rank each team based on head to head, points scored, and what's called "The Breakdown" (look it up). The default is head to head, but the commissoner could easily tell the teams to view it by "points scored" and then when the playoffs started the commissioner could adjust which teams get which seeds. 

FWIW, I think "points scored" is a step up in terms of fairness from head-to-head, as it eliminates some of the variability that head to head allows, but it isn't perfect. I'm trying to find a site that allows even more creativity with respect to how weekly standings are done. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bfros said:

NFL.com has the option to rank each team based on head to head, points scored, and what's called "The Breakdown" (look it up). The default is head to head, but the commissoner could easily tell the teams to view it by "points scored" and then when the playoffs started the commissioner could adjust which teams get which seeds. 

FWIW, I think "points scored" is a step up in terms of fairness from head-to-head, as it eliminates some of the variability that head to head allows, but it isn't perfect. I'm trying to find a site that allows even more creativity with respect to how weekly standings are done. 

true.

but in a head to head format, a lesser team can defeat a better team if they have a good week.   This format adds more of a randomness to the season standings which makes things more exciting for those lower tier teams.   

at the end of the day if you want fantasy football to be like managing a real team, the week by week thing is the way to go because thats how it happens in reality.  sometimes lesser teams make the playoffs because they got one or two upset wins and a better team has one or two upset losses.   sometimes thats all it takes.

I also think there is something of an art to playing the matchup as well.  Not everyone feels that way, but I do.   

That said, different strokes for different folks.  if you guys like it better the other way, go right ahead.     

Whats important is that you and those in your league enjoy the game format you are playing.   So long as everyone in the league is onboard, it doesnt really matter what the rest of us think.

I rather see the better teams get their reward, total points is the best way to go.