Torn

2023 General Discussion

This is just a thread to discuss the draft, notify the league of availability or need of a proxy and just general chatter on anything league or non-league related.

Going to be an interesting draft this year. A LOT of high quality stars have returned to the draft pool after their keeper status expired. We've got some decent prospects and newcomers as well. The early rounds should have more high end talent up for grabs than we usually have.

Phew - busy evening. At this point, all of our "stuff" should be up to date. This includes the Keeper Sheet, Draft Tracker Sheet and the Yahoo Site.

Please check for accuracy. There's a LOT of data entry involved, so it wouldn't be shocking if I fat fingered something along the way.

If anyone wants an extra 1st round pick please let me know.  I am feeling kind of light on picks after my julio trade and hoping to get some extra earlier picks if someone else wants another 1st rounder. 

I'm looking for a pick swap to get another 17th round pick so I can keep both my players in the same round. That way I don't inflate one of their keeper values by a round, if that's an option?

10 hours ago, Isotope said:

I'm looking for a pick swap to get another 17th round pick so I can keep both my players in the same round. That way I don't inflate one of their keeper values by a round, if that's an option?

Unfortunately, you are too late. It IS an option, but not after the keeper deadline passes. 

When  will the 1st draft pick be made? Hmmm could right away----or perhaps delayed till the weekend. Ya never know!

12 minutes ago, Ghost96 said:

When  will the 1st draft pick be made? Hmmm could right away----or perhaps delayed till the weekend. Ya never know!

Still have trades dribbling in, so not yet. If we go 24 hours without trades, I'll send a group text to see if folks want to get rolling...

9 hours ago, Torn said:

Unfortunately, you are too late. It IS an option, but not after the keeper deadline passes. 

Commish, I am going to have to disagree with you here.  You prohibited these trades ahead of the deadline yet now you're saying that he should have done it before the deadline.  I want to take full blame for Isotope's situation because I told him to do it after the deadline.  Had he posted that he was trading his 16th for someone's 17th and whatever compensation they offered (say their 18th for his 19th or whatever) you would have rejected the deal like you did with mine (sorry about posting that prematurely).  Also let's say someone has John Smith as a keeper at 20.01 and they manage to acquire 20.12 you would just slot John Smith down to 20.12.  This is logically no different than Isotope moving back from I think the 16th to the 17th rounder where he has two keepers.  

The point is: I go to lock in the keepers, I see a 17th round guy being kept and then I see that Isotope doesn't have a 2nd 17th rounder, so I had no choice but to lock him in as a 16th rounder by the rules. 

IMO - In the example of Keeper John Smith moving from 20.01 back to 20.12 via trade, there is one big difference. John Smith is moving within the same round. In the current scenario, you're proposing that a player gets to move to a DIFFERENT round based on a post-keeper deadline trade.  That being said, I can see the confusion here. I don't think we've run across this scenario before, but maybe I'm just forgetting. 

My goal is to avoid having to go back into the keeper sheet for adjustments once the deadline passes. The rules are clear on when the PLAYERS need to be declared, but leave things unclear on HOW LONG you have to address multiple keepers in the same round. 

Isotope - since we're talking about a mid-rounder here, it's not worth stressing over. You can move Flaherty back to the 17th if/when you get a trade partner. I'll work on getting this issue more clearly addressed in the rules.

1 hour ago, Torn said:

The point is: I go to lock in the keepers, I see a 17th round guy being kept and then I see that Isotope doesn't have a 2nd 17th rounder, so I had no choice but to lock him in as a 16th rounder by the rules. That being said, I can see the confusion here. I don't think we've run across this scenario before, but maybe I'm just forgetting. 

My goal is to avoid having to go back into the keeper sheet for adjustments once the deadline passes, but the rules are vague enough to leave things unclear on when you have to address multi-keepers in the same round. 

IMO - In the example of Keeper John Smith moving from 20.01 back to 20.12 via trade, there is one big difference. John Smith is moving within the same round. In the current scenario, you're proposing that a player gets to move to a DIFFERENT round based on a post-keeper deadline trade.  

Isotope - since we're talking a mid-rounder here, it's not worth stressing over. You can move Flaherty back to the 17th if/when you get a trade partner.

Sorry for getting back to this so late, just got to my phone after a long day. I'm not really stressing the inflation of a single round-- I was under the assumption (as Talent Scout mentioned) that these types of trades were verboten before the keeper deadline, as it didn't directly utilize a keeper in the trade. I've got no qualms with not changing it, as you said it's a mid-round pick that really won't affect much anyway in the long run. Cheers!

12 hours ago, Isotope said:

Sorry for getting back to this so late, just got to my phone after a long day. I'm not really stressing the inflation of a single round-- I was under the assumption (as Talent Scout mentioned) that these types of trades were verboten before the keeper deadline, as it didn't directly utilize a keeper in the trade. I've got no qualms with not changing it, as you said it's a mid-round pick that really won't affect much anyway in the long run. Cheers!

No worries - see my edited reply above. Feel free to find a trade partner for another 17th rounder by Friday. I definitely will not allow it once the draft is underway.

Minor surprise to see Acuna going #1 overall.  Could be a great pick if he is fully recovered from his injury.

I thought he might go with someone other than Turner since he has Semien as a keeper, but wasn't sure if it'd be Acuna...

23 minutes ago, Torn said:

I thought he might go with someone other than Turner since he has Semien as a keeper, but wasn't sure if it'd be Acuna...

I would have gone Trea even if Seiman was already on the team...

I was going to go Acuna #2,

Living in Philly, Turner was tough to pass up, but already have 2 SS rostered, but happy to get Ramirez. Regretted I picked Soto over him last year.

Where do you live in Philly?  I have a daughter that lives in Fishtown and loves it.

Draft is unfolding as expected, less the little surprise with Acuna at 1.01.

I almost picked mookie wilson

8 minutes ago, vargavpugh said:

8.12 Pete Fairbanks RP-TB

my first 'snipe'. Although to be fair I don't pick again until 10.03 so I knew i'd have to choose between Springs and Fairbanks at 8.06

Grumble... I have to say that I despise picking near the middle of a draft. Can't make any predictions on what others may (likely) do/avoid, get sniped constantly, every pick feels like it's miles away. 

And... I hate Byron Buxton. Have gotten burned by him a couple of times and have seen many of you get hosed as well. Let's hope "he's in the best shape of his career" (again) and I get 100 games from him before his next porcelain body part shatters. 🙄

13 minutes ago, posty said:

I got to say @Torn, you definitely run this league way better than I ever did...

Aw shucks... ☺️  We'll call it a labor of love. Can't believe this league has been together for 21 seasons now. 

40 minutes ago, posty said:

I got to say @Torn, you definitely run this league way better than I ever did...

This is not a knock on @posty who ran the league super well.

+1 to Posty's comments.  THANK YOU @Torn

22 minutes ago, Torn said:

Aw shucks... ☺️  We'll call it a labor of love. Can't believe this league has been together for 21 seasons now. 

21 seasons?!  🤯 That is crazy!!  Lets be sure to make it 21 more!! 🙂

5 minutes ago, TheGodfather414 said:

21 seasons?!  🤯 That is crazy!!  Lets be sure to make it 21 more!! 🙂

I doubt I will live that long, so someone else will have to step up to help torn with the spreadsheets...

my first outfielder in round 19!  Not really, but the sheet makes it appear that way. I was going to try to keep holding out. 

I'm off the board until the 26th round. It may take me a bit longer to update threads, Yahoo and the sheet. 

Feel free to enter picks into the sheet if I'm offline for a while.

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

my first outfielder in round 19!  Not really, but the sheet makes it appear that way. I was going to try to keep holding out. 

I definitely noticed this and that you had multiple other players whom the sheet threw into IF positions.  Found it amusing for sure.

6 minutes ago, kysar_soze said:

I definitely noticed this and that you had multiple other players whom the sheet threw into IF positions.  Found it amusing for sure.

yup. I drafted Betts as an outfielder. Jazz Chisholm and Jordan Walker as outfielders after 5 games and Stephenson at catcher to give me the option to play Varsho in the outfield. Gonzalez looks like my OF1 but is really my OF4/5 at this point :lol: 

Do NOT use the NA slot for any reason!!! I will send any player in the NA slot to the WW. No stashing prospects except in a Bench spot !! This is coming from a guy who already drafted 3 players who fall into the NA category on his team.

Just a reminder from last season, in case the NA still needs to be removed prior to season start

30 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Just a reminder from last season, in case the NA still needs to be removed prior to season start

I finally remembered to remove this when I set up the league site this season.  🙂 

But, thanks for the reminder. If I HADN'T done it, I would have strangled myself. LOL

• Haha 1

You got me a couple times late, @Torn  just now with Anderson. I wasn’t going to pick him but was hoping to add him post draft. You also got me with Gavin Stone 👍🏼

15 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

You got me a couple times late, @Torn  just now with Anderson. I wasn’t going to pick him but was hoping to add him post draft. You also got me with Gavin Stone 👍🏼

You got me out of the gate with Betts. Had two 1B keepers, and was hoping Vlad wasn't the guy who fell to me. I like Vlad and definitely had no hesitation taking him at 8, but would have gone with a different position if possible.

My biggest "snipe rage" was in round 27. I had Whitlock and Benintendi lined up as my back to back picks, but you and Ghost took BOTH of them with the 2 picks right before mine.

Also, why was Javier Baez "kryptonite" for everyone? I realize he isn't that great any longer and plays on a crappy team, but getting him 170 spots past ADP seems a bit much.

54 minutes ago, Torn said:

Also, why was Javier Baez "kryptonite" for everyone? I realize he isn't that great any longer and plays on a crappy team, but getting him 170 spots past ADP seems a bit much.

Low average, high strikeouts, doesn’t steal bases like he used to but admittedly since I was also drafting for another league that counts errors I forgot this league doesn’t. Add in the weak team around him and the fact that SS seems deeper than ever 

IMO in an offensive strikeout league with OBP Baez is not startable and therefore not rosterable.  No offense to whoever ended up drafting him.  

16 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Low average, high strikeouts, doesn’t steal bases like he used to but admittedly since I was also drafting for another league that counts errors I forgot this league doesn’t. Add in the weak team around him and the fact that SS seems deeper than ever 

Well, I guess I asked for it.  😵     Points taken. LOL   I guess I'm a sucker for "value" and couldn't see him linger any longer. At least I waited until round 27 and can dump him at will without remorse.