Sign in to follow this  
Showboat

Season records are meaningless

I see a lot of hype around Puka Nacua having a chance to set the rookie receiving record that has stood since 1960.  It seems to be a big nothing-burger to me.  The record was set in a 14 game season before implementation of all the recent rules changes that make passing the ball easier than ever.  Breaking the record in a 17 game season with a bye week thrown in does not seem all that impressive to me.

Throw in all records.  Heck 14 game record breakers shouldn’t be a big deal, they used to play a 12 game season.  Toss out all records.  Amen. 

3 hours ago, Showboat said:

I see a lot of hype around Puka Nacua having a chance to set the rookie receiving record that has stood since 1960.  It seems to be a big nothing-burger to me.  The record was set in a 14 game season before implementation of all the recent rules changes that make passing the ball easier than ever.  Breaking the record in a 17 game season with a bye week thrown in does not seem all that impressive to me.

The entire 40+ years the season was 16 games it was never broken.

The game changes over time. So do the records.

Maybe they should reformat the records to be on a per game so it normalizes to the how many games were played in that season.