Sign in to follow this  
nobody

NFL bans hip drop tackle

Cue everyone screaming that it's impossible to play defense now.

Flag football is coming to the nfl soon.  

The best part about this story is that it's clear almost no one knows what a hip drop tackle is.

• Like 1

hip drop tackle. 

when someone grabs the runner with both hands or wraps with both arms and then unweights himself by swiveling or dropping his hips and or lower body and landing on and trapping the runners legs at or below the knee.

given the nature, I'd say a very low percentage of your tackles would qualify so I dont anticipate this changes the game much (if at all)

but I would imagine that this would have a decent chance of causing an achilles injury if you are landing on the back of the runners legs

Soon there will be no tackling.   

There is no crying in baseball, now there is no tackling in the nfl.  

14 hours ago, nobody said:

The best part about this story is that it's clear almost no one knows what a hip drop tackle is.

It's just sort of a made up term. I don't know how you're supposed to tackle someone without dropping your hips. That's just sort of the physical nature of a tackle.

I guess you could say it's kind of an extension of the Horse Collar Tackle.

Pretty soon it's gonna be that you just can't tackle anyone from behind

I remember when they said you couldn't land your body weight on QBs, and everyone freaked out like world class athletes can't shift their body weight as they tackle someone.  Somehow quarterbacks were still sacked.

31 minutes ago, polecatt said:

It's just sort of a made up term. I don't know how you're supposed to tackle someone without dropping your hips. That's just sort of the physical nature of a tackle.

I guess you could say it's kind of an extension of the Horse Collar Tackle.

Pretty soon it's gonna be that you just can't tackle anyone from behind

By the sounds of it, that's what this rule is.  LOL

A hip drop is when you grab a guy and swing your body under them and let your body weight help take them down.  

Banning that specific technique doesn't prevent someone from getting tackled from behind.

Maybe one hip drop in here?

and Darrell Green had a horse collar.

Flag football is fun to play, not to watch people play that get paid a lot of money to rough it up.  Just another reason not to watch.  

Horse collar needs to be reinstated, this hip tackle needs to be reinstated, let’s bring that game back to normal, it would be fun to see a DT fall full weight on a Mahomes, he wouldn’t be standing in the pocket before getting rid of the ball nearly as often.  

Also remove the Mel Blount rule, let the DBs beat up on those wr when they are running routes.  

Vikings Te Hockensen says that the nfl needs to look into low hits.  Can’t hit them high, can’t hit them low, nfl will be a flag football league soon. 

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Vikings Te Hockensen says that the nfl needs to look into low hits.  Can’t hit them high, can’t hit them low, nfl will be a flag football league soon. 

I actually think the kind of hit he's talking about is one they should restrict instead of the others

They need to leave tackling in the game of tackle football.