Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

2024 NFL Draft Profile - WR Rome Odunze

He looks excellent on paper. I know he had a big season the last two years as well.

One thing that I found confusing though on his scouting report.

His scouting report said he didn't seem to get separation downfield or had the deep speed, but he was the best deep ball WR in the nation?

Correct. Penix trusted him (and all of his WRs, for that matter) and Odunze made contested catch after contested catch. Odunze caught a FBS-best 21 of his 28 contested catch targets. I don't have a yardage total to give you, but a lot of his deep catches were contested catches. Nine of his 23 deep catches were contested, per PFF. It sure seemed like it was more watching every one of his targets, so I wonder how PFF determines what makes for a contested catch.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, polecatt said:

His scouting report said he didn't seem to get separation downfield or had the deep speed, but he was the best deep ball WR in the nation?

My fear as well. I'm not sure he can rely on that against NFL CBs. I've heard a few AJ Brown comps which aren't bad but he's got a lot to prove before I go there. 

Strengths in Rome Odunze Scouting Report

• The elite size/speed combination allows him to embrace physicality.
  • Wins vertically and tracks balls well.
  • Transitions quickly and is dangerous after the catch.

Weaknesses in Rome Odunze Scouting Report

• Washington's offense schemed receivers open with a limited route tree.
  • Can he generate quick separation at the NFL level?
  • Will need to gain strength to play with physicality in the NFL.

9 hours ago, The Football Guru said:

Correct. Penix trusted him (and all of his WRs, for that matter) and Odunze made contested catch after contested catch. Odunze caught a FBS-best 21 of his 28 contested catch targets. I don't have a yardage total to give you, but a lot of his deep catches were contested catches. Nine of his 23 deep catches were contested, per PFF. It sure seemed like it was more watching every one of his targets, so I wonder how PFF determines what makes for a contested catch.

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a major red flag to me. That's the sort of thing that he probably won't be able to get away with in the NFL like he did in college.

2 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

My fear as well. I'm not sure he can rely on that against NFL CBs. I've heard a few AJ Brown comps which aren't bad but he's got a lot to prove before I go there. 

Strengths in Rome Odunze Scouting Report

• The elite size/speed combination allows him to embrace physicality.
  • Wins vertically and tracks balls well.
  • Transitions quickly and is dangerous after the catch.

Weaknesses in Rome Odunze Scouting Report

• Washington's offense schemed receivers open with a limited route tree.
  • Can he generate quick separation at the NFL level?
  • Will need to gain strength to play with physicality in the NFL.

I'll believe that when I see it. He doesn't appear to have AJ Brown's build and strength. He may at the college level but in the NFL that's a different story

4 hours ago, polecatt said:

I'll believe that when I see it. He doesn't appear to have AJ Brown's build and strength. He may at the college level but in the NFL that's a different story

Agree. I think Odunze will be a very good pro someday, perhaps a high end WR2 low end WR1. I'll like him a lot better if he pairs with Caleb Williams for the next several years. 

5 hours ago, polecatt said:

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a major red flag to me. That's the sort of thing that he probably won't be able to get away with in the NFL like he did in college.

The guy is an absolute grinder, so I see how teams are falling in love with him. I also have heard comments about how he heard criticism about his contested-catch ability last year, so he went out of his way this year to prove it wasn't an issue. I am not sure I am buying that. But I do see where people are making comps to Davante Adams and Keenan Allen. He says he studies them as much as any receiver, and you can see it with some of the things he does with his footwork.

I think Odunze will be a very good NFL receiver, but I am not on board with the people who say it is difficult to find a hole in his game. We are not talking about Calvin Johnson here.

well, if he doesnt get open, he could still find himself useful.

Dez Bryant wasnt a great route runner, but Romo would have him run to a spot on the field and then throw it up so he can high point the ball.   so even if fully covered, he still makes the catch (if he has the kind of QB that can do that)

Not saying that is the situation here.  I have not looked at much other than the scouting report, but a good accurate QB can make use of a guy like who can high point the ball and win those battles even if the rest of his development does not happen.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 11:00 PM, Ray_T said:

well, if he doesnt get open, he could still find himself useful.

Dez Bryant wasnt a great route runner, but Romo would have him run to a spot on the field and then throw it up so he can high point the ball.   so even if fully covered, he still makes the catch (if he has the kind of QB that can do that)

Not saying that is the situation here.  I have not looked at much other than the scouting report, but a good accurate QB can make use of a guy like who can high point the ball and win those battles even if the rest of his development does not happen.

Definitely.

I believe I watched every one of his targets from this past season. It's been a bit since I did his write-up, but I don't recall him running by too many folks. In short, it would be silly for me to assume he can separate consistently when I haven't seen it, so it surprises me some believe he was tempo-ing his routes and purposely not trying to separate very often. I'm of the mind if you can blow by your defender, you do it whenever possible.

23 minutes ago, The Football Guru said:

Definitely.

I believe I watched every one of his targets from this past season. It's been a bit since I did his write-up, but I don't recall him running by too many folks. In short, it would be silly for me to assume he can separate consistently when I haven't seen it, so it surprises me some believe he was tempo-ing his routes and purposely not trying to separate very often. I'm of the mind if you can blow by your defender, you do it whenever possible.

yeah, thats nonsense.   as a WR if you can get open, thats what you do.   Its your job to do that.   if that fails, you try to outmuscle the defender, but that's got to be the Plan B.   At the NFL level the % of contested catches he makes wont likely be the same as it was in college.

so while this is a nice skillset to have, you still need other skills at the NFL level.

winning the contested catches can keep you on the field but it wont make you a #1 WR very often.

I would not draft a guy like this in round 1. (not this year anyways)   There are too many talented WR's in this years draft to pick a guy like this early (in my opinion)

I feel like his max upside is that of a very good #2 WR but there is a decent chance he ends up a #3 or #4 WR.        A prospect like this you  dont take in round 1 in my opinion.

He'll be the number two rookie receiver, behind Nabers of course.