Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Jim Rice: Great story

Four-year-old Jonathan Keane, sitting two rows above the dugout alongside his father, Tom, and 2-year-old brother, had no time to react. The ball struck him in the face, and Jonathan was immediately in agony. Jim Rice, realizing in a flash that it would take EMTs too long to arrive and cut through the crowd, sprang from the dugout and scooped up the boy. He laid the boy gently on the dugout floor, where the Red Sox medical team began to treat him.

When the boy arrived at the hospital 30 minutes later, doctors said, without a doubt that Jim's prompt actions saved the boy's life. Jim returned to the game in a blood-stained uniform. A real badge of courage. After visiting the boy in the hospital, and realizing the family was of modest means, he stopped by the business office and instructed that the bill be sent to him.

Jim's prompt actions saved the boy's life. Jim returned to the game in a blood-stained uniform. A real badge of courage. After visiting the boy in the hospital, and realizing the family was of modest means, he stopped by the business office and instructed that the bill be sent to him.

This is what a sports Hero looks like.

---------------------

never heard that story. That's excellent. 

It’s what a person should always look like sports athlete or not.  We are to slow to give credit when someone saves someone’s life, sone even would be dumb enough to say it wasn’t impressive, it wasn’t a burning building, but saving a life should be considered something amazing, it should considered normal.  

Great story OP, never heard that one either.  

3 minutes ago, weepaws said:

It’s what a person should always look like sports athlete or not.  We are to slow to give credit when someone saves someone’s life, sone even would be dumb enough to say it wasn’t impressive, it wasn’t a burning building, but saving a life should be considered something amazing, it should considered normal.  

Great story OP, never heard that one either.  

You are ghey. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Four-year-old Jonathan Keane, sitting two rows above the dugout alongside his father, Tom, and 2-year-old brother, had no time to react. The ball struck him in the face, and Jonathan was immediately in agony. Jim Rice, realizing in a flash that it would take EMTs too long to arrive and cut through the crowd, sprang from the dugout and scooped up the boy. He laid the boy gently on the dugout floor, where the Red Sox medical team began to treat him.

When the boy arrived at the hospital 30 minutes later, doctors said, without a doubt that Jim's prompt actions saved the boy's life. Jim returned to the game in a blood-stained uniform. A real badge of courage. After visiting the boy in the hospital, and realizing the family was of modest means, he stopped by the business office and instructed that the bill be sent to him.

Jim's prompt actions saved the boy's life. Jim returned to the game in a blood-stained uniform. A real badge of courage. After visiting the boy in the hospital, and realizing the family was of modest means, he stopped by the business office and instructed that the bill be sent to him.

This is what a sports Hero looks like.

---------------------

never heard that story. That's excellent. 

That is (obviously) common knowledge 'round these parts. 'Twas 1982. Protective netting was not installed in Fenway until they were forced to by MLB in 2016

• Like 1

Still not a HoF'er.

I joke....great story, maybe thats what made the difference in him getting in.

11 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

Still not a HoF'er.

I joke....great story, maybe thats what made the difference in him getting in.

It took 15 years for him to get in because he wasn't nice to the media. 

He still might be my favorite Red Sox player ever.

Sad to say he should not be in the HOF. Then again, it's the hall of good now, so he should be in

• Thanks 1

Met Jimbo at a card show about 20 years ago.  Completely ignored something I said while he was signing my a card for me.  Thought he was a dik and left the show about an hour later, disappointed.  Saw a hot dog vendor right outside the show.  Rice comes out as I’m waiting for my rope, orders one himself, and then starts yucking it up with me and the Mrs.  Just 3 people talking about stupid shitt and joking around.  Had a blast with the guy and it totally changed my opinion of him.

He told my wife she shouldn’t work and that she belonged in the kitchen.  I told him, “You’ve never tasted her food Jim.”  Wifey got legit fired up.