Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Artest

Airlines to give cash refunds for cancelled or delayed flights

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yes they were given a choice.  They opted for that choice when the agreed to buy the ticket.  If you don't want the risk of not getting your money back, don't buy the ticket in the first place.  People have plenty of choices.  They can choose to drive.  They can take a train.  Flying isn't the only option.  I'm advocating for a system where the government doesn't force a business into how they go about their day-to-day operations.

Like I said, if we're letting the government dictate how airlines go about their refund policy, why not let them dictate the price?  It's cost protection for the customer.  Why should the customer be forced to pay $200 for a flight that just the day before, sold for $185... or better yet, another airline sold it for $150?

So you would be ok if all the airlines got together and decided that they will all started charging a $1k surcharge for every passenger?  And you'd be against the govt getting involved?

Just now, Ron_Artest said:

So you would be ok if all the airlines got together and decided that they will all started charging a $1k surcharge for every passenger?  And you'd be against the govt getting involved?

That's collusion and illegal.  Nice try.  Try again.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

That's collusion and illegal.  Nice try.  Try again.

So the govt does have a place in regulating business and protecting consumers,  Got it.

1 minute ago, Ron_Artest said:

So the govt does have a place in regulating business and protecting consumers,  Got it.

Keep trying loser, that's already been covered.

Honcho is scared to answer this question (I asked it twice), will you answer it?  Why stop here?  Since we're forcing airlines how to go about their refund policy, let's just eliminate the risk altogether.  How about we let the government set the price in the first place, collect the payment, and thus guaranteeing your refund?

25 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Honcho is scared to answer this question (I asked it twice), will you answer it?  Why stop here?  Since we're forcing airlines how to go about their refund policy, let's just eliminate the risk altogether.  How about we let the government set the price in the first place, collect the payment, and thus guaranteeing your refund?

No that's stupid.  There is a balance.  Just like the govt has laws that stop airlines from colluding to jack up prices, the govt doesn't also have to set prices.  You don't seem to understand that.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yes they were given a choice.  They opted for that choice when the agreed to buy the ticket.  If you don't want the risk of not getting your money back, don't buy the ticket in the first place.  People have plenty of choices.  They can choose to drive.  They can take a train.  Flying isn't the only option.  I'm advocating for a system where the government doesn't force a business into how they go about their day-to-day operations.

Like I said, if we're letting the government dictate how airlines go about their refund policy, why not let them dictate the price?  It's cost protection for the customer.  Why should the customer be forced to pay $200 for a flight that just the day before, sold for $185... or better yet, another airline sold it for $150?

True, it’s a slippery slope for sure

1 hour ago, Ron_Artest said:

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Well I mean, he kinda got you there. You’re trying to take an absolutist stance (as usual), but we’re not dealing in absolutes :doh:

17 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Well I mean, he kinda got you there. You’re trying to take an absolutist stance (as usual), but we’re not dealing in absolutes :doh:

Wrong, again.  It's not the governments job to control how businesses go about their day-to-day operations.  In this case, how they handle refunds.  The airlines CLEARLY tell you what happens if the flight is cancelled, delayed, or whatever before you by the ticket.  They even ask you if this is acceptable.  When you buy the ticket, you're saying "YES".  Now, you want the government to step in and bail you out.  Bullsh!t.  If you don't like the terms, then don't buy the ticket.  Flying isn't the only way to travel.

NOW, if the airlines did get together and colluded on how they'd handle these things, then that's a different story.  Like I said in my response to Gutterboy.  If they did that, then fine, the government can step in and protect the consumer.  I don't know that that's the case... do you?

1 hour ago, Ron_Artest said:

No that's stupid.  There is a balance.  Just like the govt has laws that stop airlines from colluding to jack up prices, the govt doesn't also have to set prices.  You don't seem to understand that.

Yeah, the balance is... where do you draw the line?  It's always drawn in pencil.  It's best to never draw it in the first place... meaning, the government doesn't get involved in the first place.

I understand fully Mr. Stalin.  You want the government to slowly creep into everything.

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Wrong, again.  It's not the governments job to control how businesses go about their day-to-day operations.  In this case, how they handle refunds.  The airlines CLEARLY tell you what happens if the flight is cancelled, delayed, or whatever before you by the ticket.  They even ask you if this is acceptable.  When you buy the ticket, you're saying "YES".  Now, you want the government to step in and bail you out.  Bullsh!t.  If you don't like the terms, then don't buy the ticket.  Flying isn't the only way to travel.

NOW, if the airlines did get together and colluded on how they'd handle these things, then that's a different story.  Like I said in my response to Gutterboy.  If they did that, then fine, the government can step in and protect the consumer.  I don't know that that's the case... do you?

Educate yo self: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/adhesion_contract_(contract_of_adhesion)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Has anyone tried to sue the airlines in court over this?  Looks to me like if this is the case, the judge would rule in favor of the plaintiff.

Could be a class action but I assume that’s failed otherwise there’d be no need to regulate. My guess is there’s all kinds of roadblocks like arbitration provision, onerous choice of law, horrible venue, etc

6 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Could be a class action but I assume that’s failed otherwise there’d be no need to regulate. My guess is there’s all kinds of roadblocks like arbitration provision, onerous choice of law, horrible venue, etc

Or it would fail because the airlines give you the option to choose a refundable ticket.  Every time I've ever bought an airline ticket, they gave me the opportunity to insure my ticket to get a full refund.

You do understand that the only thing this law will do is make the airlines more money and the consumer is the one paying it, right?  About 1 to 2% of flights get cancelled every day.  So, because of those few cancellations a day, the airlines will jack up the prices of their tickets to ensure they recoup any money the government is preventing them to get.  Meaning, the government is helping the airlines charge more money, and you're thanking them for it.  Brilliant!!  :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

No company in any industry gives you your money back instantly.  This is a huge pet peeve of mine -- they all can instantly TAKE  your money, but refunds can take days or weeks.

My point is:  why would you expect airlines to do what no other industry is asked to do?

Not sure what you mean.  If I buy a TV from Best Buy and then realize it won't fit in the wall mount so I take it back, they credit my CC immediately.  It might not show up immediately due to the processing time of banks and what not, but the refund transaction will be immediate.   I don't see why airlines can't do similarly once the product that was purchased is no longer available.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

Not sure what you mean.  If I buy a TV from Best Buy and then realize it won't fit in the wall mount so I take it back, they credit my CC immediately.  It might not show up immediately due to the processing time of banks and what not, but the refund transaction will be immediate.   I don't see why airlines can't do similarly once the product that was purchased is no longer available.

Yeah, I was wrong with the absolute.  And perhaps in this day of mostly CC purchases the CC itself receives the request instantly, and then there are the amorphous  couple of days of "bank processing" as you mentioned.  Honestly, most of my purchases these days are on Amazon and with the occasional return, they are good about doing it quickly.  And when I return stuff bought online to other places, who knows how long it really took to get there and for them to process it?

Anyway, I deleted my post as I'm probably living in the past.  Now get off my lawn! :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yeah, the balance is... where do you draw the line?  It's always drawn in pencil.  It's best to never draw it in the first place... meaning, the government doesn't get involved in the first place.

I understand fully Mr. Stalin.  You want the government to slowly creep into everything.

And you want to bend over for corporations to fock you over and over.

I had a flight to Nashville once for bidness. There was a distraught lady trying trying to get home for her father that was suddenly put in hospice and things were grim. So I offered my ticket and Delta said thank you and re-booked for the first flight out that morning. And a room at the airport Shereaton. I went to the airport lounge to regroup and make some calls. 

And allong comes a spider and sat down beside me.  She ordered a Premium gin and soda. Me: Bartender , ive got this. Spider: Thanks. What’s your story?  Told her what I was doing and how I was comped. Till tomorrow.   Ended up having dinner with her at her at a local seafood and cocktails.::On the way back i told her she could stay in my room and I would sleep on the couch whilst she showered. She said “Thank you.  I appreciate it.” She takes a marathon shower and comes out wearing thigh high socks, a blue g-string panties with no braw and a silk pink orientalist robe. She was half Vietnamese. Stunning is not the way to describe her. 

We both missed our flights out and that morning.