Sign in to follow this  
MDC

The *** Official *** Eagles offseason thread

Hey MDC...what are your thoughts re: D'Qwell Jackson? Got released today. Albeit old, I think he could be a good asset for depth, not to mention the familiarity w/ Davis.

Well Benn is coming back from injury and I'm assuming we either sign a cheap vet or draft a WR, hopefully someone with return skills.

Right now I think S and LB/DE are the biggest immediate needs, CB and OL depth are secondary. Still need a backup QB and possibly a new kicker too.

I think the pending loss of Jason Avant could hurt depth. Damaris just isn't an NFL receiver, but we can get some camp bodies to fill out a possession receiver. If Maclin can return to anywhere close to 70%+ of what he was, this offense somehow....might improve.

I honestly would not doubt if the Eagles move around in this draft. I've long been a proponent for them getting Dix or Pryor. With Peters locked up now, Kelce being a possibility for an extension, and Maclin/Cooper possibly both in the fold, this truly could be a BPA FA/Draft.

That alone drives the price down for any possible FA coming into town. You're playing for a team with a potential winning record and a realistic chance at winning it's division. You have a coach that can appeal to the demeanor and attitude of today's younger players yet still gets enough out of them. It's really no wonder why Harbaugh and Carroll have had the success they've had. The NFL has long been referred to the not for long league...and with a coaching staff and front office that can appeal to the young guys, it gives hope.

Safety. Linebacker. OL.

And open auditions for PK

Well Cooper and Maclin are both back. I think we slightly overpaid for both although Maclin's is just a one year deal and I'm glad they're both back.

Re-signed Donnie Jones for three more years and cut Chung. Excellent first day of the league year

Sproles acquired for a 5th rounder (Sopoaga pick from Patriots)...Cornerback Nolan Carroll also signed

I was wondering when I heard Spriles might be on the chopping block if they might bring him in. Can he still return kicks? Eagles need that bad. Chip will have a field day drawing up plays that involve Spriles and McCoy on the field at the same time.

I wonder what this means for Brown and Polk? I got the sense that Chip didn't live either and with the amount he runs the ball the Eagles really need a quality #2 who can handle 100-150 carries as a backup / change of pace.

The Carroll signing is a little odd since we have two starting corners and an excerpts young slot CB already. I also figured CB would be a target in Round 1. Now if a corner is the best player on the board do you really take him knowing he won't even get on the field in dime packages barring injury? Or do you cut one of the starters?

uggles need safety help... Dix or Pryor

I'd be happy with either but I hope they go BPA regardless of need. Jenkins will be passable at one safety spot and Earl Wolff should get an opportunity to compete for time at the other.

Really lived what they is on Day 3.

Nolan Carroll was a bit odd as a signing since he has starter ability. With Boykin entrenched in the slot / 3rd CB role it seems like he will mostly play in dine packages and in a reserve role. Then again, he cost $700,000 guaranteed over 2 years, around $3 mill total which is an absolute bargain for a starting caliber corner in the NFL. Only downside is I hope this doesn't take CB off the board if that's the BPA in the first. Either way marvelous signing.

Sproles was also a good add although I think he will mostly play a complementary role, spell McCoy a little in obvious passing downs and maybe add competition as a return man. Again, the price was so good I have to think of it as a low risk high reward move. They basically dealt the 5th rounder they acquired from NE via the Isaac whatever his name was trade, that's a buck fifty on the dollar right there.

Still badly need a pass rusher and another safety plus competition for the backup QB role and liner but overall very nice job of filling some needs before the draft.

I like that most if not all of the Eagles moves have bolstered depth, but haven't particularly attempted at going all in for a position of need. Addressing a position of need by signing a prominent name in free agency often spells trouble more often than it creates a resolution. The Eagles now essentially have unreal depth at the corner (if you include Jenkins). Also remember, Malcolm Jenkins covered the slot last year more often than ANY member of the Saints secondary. That in big part attributes to the "low ranking" that PFF wants to give him, especially since they focus heavily on the receiving yards allowed. With the Eagles, we already have three corners that can handle those duties, with Boykin/Fletcher in particular.

At this point, the Eagles have a few different avenues they can pursue with that 1st round. I wouldn't be surprised to see an OL, LB, pass rusher, or Safety selected in no particular order of preference or need. I could also envision the Eagles hopping around the board, either trading up to get their guy or dropping back and stockpiling picks for future years.

Will they release polk? There is no need for 4 rbs on a roster, especially when a team has 3 as quality as mccoy, sproles, brown.

I am very interested in the eagles offense this year as i have a good amount invested in their offense on my dynasty rosters. Foles and cooper in both leagues, bryce in one as well. I had bryce in both but traded him away in one.

Will they release polk? There is no need for 4 rbs on a roster, especially when a team has 3 as quality as mccoy, sproles, brown.

I think they may carry four anyway. I don't expect Spriles to get many carries and Chip runs the ball so much, might be worth the extra roster spot.

Eagles reportedly have a deal in place for Byron Maxwell - 5 years $54m. I'm a little concerned about how good Maxwell really is outside that defense but he's relatively young and from a talent perspective clearly better than anything on the roster.

Apparently the Eagles are also heavily pursuing McCourtey and have interest in G/OT Orlando Franklin - he would be a terrific replacement for Herramins.

Eagles reportedly have a deal in place for Byron Maxwell - 5 years $54m. I'm a little concerned about how good Maxwell really is outside that defense but he's relatively young and from a talent perspective clearly better than anything on the roster.

Apparently the Eagles are also heavily pursuing McCourtey and have interest in G/OT Orlando Franklin - he would be a terrific replacement for Herramins.

only 25m guaranteed, so not a bad contract at all

Frank Gore is reportedly an Eagle, 3 years $7.5m guaranteed. I am perfectly content with the signing but you have to draft a RB now if Gore is your lead back, he's just too old to count on another big workload.

Now that Maclin's heading for KC, Chip has completely blown up the offense.

There's no way anyone can tell me that Philly is a better team than they were at the end of the regular season.

There's no way anyone can tell me that Philly is a better team than they were at the end of the regular season.

Next rumor kicking around to make the dismantling complete ... they may trade Foles and roll with Mark Sanchez.

I do like Chip as a head coach, but these transactions we've watched over the last two years makes me wonder about his GMing decisions.

the eagles need to stop being soooooooo racist

chip will never win with a bunch of white guys, will he?

DeSean Jackson, LeSean McCoy and Jeremy Maclin all gone in the last two years. Chip has a plan, I guess...

Letting Maclin go was really dumb.

the eagles need to stop being soooooooo racist

chip will never win with a bunch of white guys, will he?

I hope you aren't that naive.

Traded Foles for Bradford ... and have up picks? :doh:

I may have to just Recliner Peenie this thread. :cry:

it looks like the rams second round pick goes back to philly if bradford doesn't start 8 games

here's the rest of the deets

The second-round pick goes back to the Eagles if Bradford doesn't start at least eight games this season and the Eagles also get an additional fourth-round pick. If Bradford is re-injured, the fourth becomes a third-round pick.

I have no idea wtf Chip Kelly is doing. Somebody should tell him Jahlil Okafor is not going to enter the 2016 NFL draft. :doh:

I have no idea wtf Chip Kelly is doing. Somebody should tell him Jahlil Okafor is not going to enter the 2016 NFL draft. :doh:

I was going to ask you in this thread, wtf is chip doing? I actually understood the shady and maclin moves. Letting go of foles for bradford? That is messed up. Recruiting everyone from one college team is never a good idea. How many legit nfl players end up coming from a single college team? Not many. Chip will be gone within 2 years. I like his system, a lot, if the team has the right players. Just because they played for oregon, it doesnt mean they are the right players.

Foles is at least happy now.

And now they trade for an inferior QB AND give up picks??? WTF is Chip doing?

Can't wait to listen to Angelo Cataldi on WIP 94 this morning. He's probably ready to slit his wrists after this one.

I was going to ask you in this thread, wtf is chip doing? .

Either Bradford is a chip and we are waiting for the other shoe to drop, or we are looking at a rookie GM who is floundering badly in his first offseason with full roster control.

Unfortunately I think the latter is more likely than the former. :cry:

I was on board with the McCoy deal and all the roster cuts. I don't mind not living Maclin - to be honest I think he's just an above average receiver who looked great in Chip's O. But letting him walk with no Plan B is pretty disturbing. Matthews and Cooper are not a great receiving corps.

This move ... I really got nothing. I've heard some teams at the top of the draft had interest in Bradford and he may be a bargaining chip. I find it very hard to believe he has more value league wide than Foles or that a team would rather trade with the Eagles sitting at 1.20 than the Rams at 1.10.

I'm at a loss. If this team fails to get Mariota now and ends up out of the playoffs I seriously think Kelly punched his ticket out of town.

I think Philly is screwing up very badly!

IMO the Sproles experiment last year has them fooled about thinking they don't need McCoy. To me, Sproles played out of his mind as well as took benefit as being the decoy to Mccoy. I think he'll do worse next year now without McCoy. I don't think you give up a young franchise RB like that for somebody who was hurt and a bit unproven. The cost savings seemed stupid to me. They are starting over at RB basically.

Maybe they still pick somebody up - We'll see? They will be worse on offense with this move.

Then they lose Maclin - So saving money did nothing to keep their best WR. Now they have scrubs to throw the ball too. Although the rookie last year showed promiss so he has a big upswing, but it could hurt him losing the guy that opened everything up. I think they could do better than Maclin, but it will hurt in the coming season. So again, offense takes a hit.

Sanchez is a waist and shelled out pretty good money for him. - Offense still bad if he's the starter, but worse without Maclin & McCoy.

Maxwell is a good player. I like him. This should help the Def. He was REALLY expensive though. I do see the def being improved with him though.

The QB trade was the worst part of everything. You give up picks plus a better QB for Bradford who can't stay healthy and shown nothing. Foles has shown more hope than Bradford. Again - Off far worse without Foles.

So the Def seems better, but the offense looks FAR worse and they are starting over from square one and stunted their growth. They pushed themselves back with these moves and right now are relying on Bradford/Sanchez to lead them. That aint going to happen. I can only say WTF! Not good.

it looks like the rams second round pick goes back to philly if bradford doesn't start 8 games

here's the rest of the deets

The second-round pick goes back to the Eagles if Bradford doesn't start at least eight games this season...

Not sure where you are getting this - I've not seen, nor have I heard of it anywhere.... The way the trade reads the 2nd round pick is a lock - stamp and sealed as is.

This is a terrible, terrible deal... You trade a guy, who is arguably better than Bradford, for Bradford. Said Bradford costs $12m a year more, and by the way - hasn't played in 2 years. You also have no guarantees of Bradford resigning to a long term deal - after 2015 he is a FA. And as is that weren't enough, you have to toss in 2nd and 4th round picks to close the deal - wow.... Chip better hit on this or he will have completely wasted an entire year for nothing - finding himself right back in the same 'no quarterback' boat this time next year.

Word is Ryan Matthews is going to sign with Philly today.... So the Iggs went from Foley, McCoy and Maclin - to - Bradford, Matthews and still no wr... As a Cowboys fan I have to chuckle. :)

Well, in addition to Byron Maxwell, the Eagles picked up Walter Thurmond, this is after adding Chris Maragos last season. They just need to get Browner away from New England to have a Legion of Boom East Coast party. Well, a couple of those guys are pot heads, so maybe they won't party so hard.

Not sure where you are getting this - I've not seen, nor have I heard of it anywhere.... The way the trade reads - the 2nd round pick is a lock, stamp and sealed as is.

This is a terrible, terrible deal... You trade a guy, who is arguably better than Bradford, for Bradford. Said Bradford costs $12m a year more, and by the way - hasn't played in 2 years. You also have no guarantees of Bradford resigning to a long term deal - after 2015 he is a FA. And as is that weren't enough, you have to toss in 2nd and 4th round picks to close the deal - wow.... Chip better hit on this or he will have completely wasted an entire year for nothing - finding himself right back in the same 'no quarterback' boat this time next year.

Word is Ryan Matthews is going to sign with Philly today.... So the Iggs went from Foley, McCoy and Maclin - to - Bradford, Matthews and still no wr... As a Cowboys fan I have to chuckle. :)

well, I'm not a Philly fan, but the ones here have to be scratching their dingle berries

well, I'm not a Philly fan, but the ones here have to be scratching their dingle berries

Dallas radio tapped into WIP in Philly this morning. Heard Angelo Cataldi - Omg, he was going ape shiat ballistic! :lol:

Dallas radio tapped into WIP in Philly this morning. Heard Angelo Cataldi - Omg, he was going ape shiat ballistic! :lol:

To be fair Angelo goes ballistic even when a deal is the right one for a team. He was losing his sh1t when the Sixers traded Jrue Holiday so fake outrage is no stranger there. This is the same guy who brought a bus load of drunks to the '99 draft to boo the McNabb selection.

Philly sports radio

hahaha hahaha hahaha