Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Why does Network TV fail so badly?

On CBS,NBC,Fox(not counting FX),ABC, and CW. I only count a very few shows worth watching at all anymore.

Blacklist - basically only becasue Spader is so good at his character. IMO even better than he was on Boston Leagal

OUAT - Pretty well written and IMO one of the best Network series in a while.

Person of Interest - another show with 2 good actors that make up for a shaky storyline.

Hanibal - IMO - the best show on Network TV - interesting story and good actors

Originals/Supernatural - kind of a guilty pleasure - never much a fan of Vampire diaries but for whatever reason this I like.

There are more GOOD shows on just FX and AMC than all 5 "free" TV major networks...

Just wondering why do the networks fail so badly? Fox owns FX and SOA/AHS/Justified are all better than any show that has been on fox in years...

There are no good writers left that want to write the same old crap. The industry is vapid. The investors are poosays.

Because people don't like "good" shows, they like the same crap they've seen a billion times before. CSI, L&O, every single crapass reality show, etc. And network TV is more expensive, demanding big audiences, so good shows that have a niche audience have a harder time surviving.

There are no good writers left that want to write the same old crap. The industry is vapid. The investors are poosays.

Pretty much this.

What's cool though is now people who might not otherwise be considered filmakers, are able to make some similar quality videography and use post production software on their home computers that was not really possible just 15 years ago to your average joe.

The money is going to be gone soon, from network TV, they can't compete with their current business model against the masses, empowered by cheap technology.

Because people don't like "good" shows, they like the same crap they've seen a billion times before. CSI, L&O, every single crapass reality show, etc. And network TV is more expensive, demanding big audiences, so good shows that have a niche audience have a harder time surviving.

Yeah networks have to play to the lowest common denominator, so you get a lot of dreck.

Funny thing is people will respond to good, smart television shows, as AMC showed with Breaking Bad and Walking Dead (both hits in the ratings, although it took Breaking Bad a while to get there). But the networks lack courage and are slow to adapt. Plus they can't be quite as controversial.

I find there are a bunch of shows i like, but i dont watch to pick holes in every story or plotline.

Hawaii 5 0

P of interest

Following

The Voice

Grimm

Csi

Crminal minds

Etc etc.

Who has time for fiction when non-fiction is so amazing?

I like Into The Wormhole, with Morgan Freeman.

Network tv panders to the masses. The same masses that travel to Disney World, eat those large turkey legs, and shop at Wal Mart. These people are dumb and don't know what they want.

• Like 1

That was the shiat, brah. Network TV, is never gonna get better than that. And the black guy doesn't die ... until the end. Spoiler alert.

T.C. the always angry pilot. "Damnit Magnum, you gonna owe me one for this one." So good. Yep. Never gonna be that good again.

Lost ... most you can hope for, but cheaper. Same idea as a soap opera. It's bullshiat. There is no real story behind it all.

I remember as a kid I used to get my Dad's old magazines, Road and Track, Popular Mechanics and I also would buy Hot Rod and stuff like that with my own money. I almost got a job for that publisher ... mighta been a perfect match, but it didn't happen. I'm sure a lot of guys say they used to buy Hot Rod as a kid. I wanted a 32 Ford ... not much has changed, since 1976 ... but the price of a real 32 Ford. My Dad would not buy me one. I saved up my money and when I was 15 I bought a 1969 Mustang coupe for $500. Fixed it up, got it painted and such, eventually sold it for $900. I hated to sell that car. I remember I coulda traded it, plus like a thousand in cash for a real 67 GT Fastback. Had the wrong motor in it but who cares. Kid seemed like a dope fiend or something ... just didn't feel right and I never made the deal. I saw the car though, was a real 67 GT fastback that ran and drove. Be worth a lot of money these days.

Had a lot of chances, back in the 80's to buy some cars that would be worth a lot of money today ... now I have money, can't find any good deals on cars.

You should be on the lookout for any 2 door Cadi from 1960-1962. That's what's next. Big in Europe if you have money. They are like ... the Cadillac of cars.

That's the future of Network TV ... sell people cars. Not so different from the past. Just a bigger world.

And if you want a 1965 Mercury Park Lane convertible "5 prong" car. Yeah, one exists. I own it.