Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Boudin sausage in N.Orleans

Someone mentioned a place in New Orleans that supposedly had the best boudin sausage.

Anyone remember the name?

Sorry, I can't help you.

But to be clear, Cajuns laugh at us idiots these days. Back then was just a way to extend sausage when they didn't have nearly enough meat. hysterical that everybody wrings their hands and screams and cries about fillers in their meat products, but swears that Boudin is somehow a gift from God. If yer there for sausage, for God's sake go for Andouille. Then make or pick up some Badass dirty rice. Combine the two. Voila, you've got a thousand times better version of boudin.

Chicory? Isn't some exotic spice for Christ's sake. It's a way to extend coffee when they didn't have enough grounds. It's literally ground sticks and roots.

And blackening? Well thank God for that when they didn't have nearly sufficient Refrigeration in the middle of a blistering gulf summer.

• Like 1

All sausage is fillers. They just used rice instead of innards.

My favorite is the Anthony Boudin sausage.

Yes...in N Orleans please

My friend the NFL ref is doing the Nawlins game and is staying an extra day due to weather. He likes to grill so I told him to pick some up

Yes...in N Orleans please

My friend the NFL ref is doing the Nawlins game and is staying an extra day due to weather. He likes to grill so I told him to pick some up

Ok no problem, this is what I would recommend, depending on where he is and what he wants to do:

1. Couchon Butcher - this is next to Couchon restaurant. He might like this because the restaurant up front and the deli in back is run by a very well known local chef, Donald Link. The boudin there (in the back of the restaurant on the side street) is about $7.50 a pound. It's in the Warehouse District, on Tchoupitoulas at Howard. If your friend is downtown this might be most convenient but it's also probably the best locally. If he goes here he can also enjoy a pretty damned good restaurant or deli (they have both) as well.
  2. Chris' Specialty Meats - Harrison at West End - this has lots of stuff, they are also a go to for grilling with lots of variety. If your pal is downtown he will need to drive or uber but it's not far.
  3. "Piece of Meat" - this is a BBQ place and deli at Bienville and Rendon. Run by good people, it's in Mid-City closer to downtown.

Please tell your friend that a SAINTS fan sends his kind regards, I will be at the game, and WHO DAT!

Couchon Butcher - this is next to Couchon restaurant. He might like this because the restaurant up front and the deli in back is run by a very well known local chef, Donald Link.

--------

It's true, he's pretty famous. I can only assume that you've heard of Link sausage?