Sign in to follow this  
Parkers99

Offensive Line Rankings

1) Denver: Great system & their scouts find the perfect talent to match. Luckily for them, a "perfect match" in Denver isn't normally that coveted by other teams... so they can afford depth. A great example was in their getting Eslinger at 198th over-all in the last draft. He could start for the Broncos tommorrow... but he won't because he doesn't have too. Depth puts this team over the top as my over-all #1 O line.

2) Cincinatti: Anchored by Pro Bowler Willie Anderson, this line is second best in 2006. They will continue to dominate this season... However, the line should fall apart in 07 due to cap issues.

3) Kansas City: Will Shields & Willie Roaf will try to squeeze one last pro-bowl season out. Two O lineman, 24 pro bowl invitations... unbelievable. This is one of the most talented O lines ever, but age & lack of equal depth drops them to 3 over-all in my estimation.

4) Pittsburgh: Very solid line. Marvin Phillip will excel in this system for years.

5) Washington: This should have been a dominate line last season. When RandyThomas went down, it seemed the whole line caved. Joe Bugel won't allow that this season. They have a terrific starting five & I believe we'll see considerable improvement from the young back-ups.

6) Chicago: Harry Hiestand will be in his second year after turning this line around last season. In '04 Chicago allowed SIXTY SIX sacks! Last year (Harry's 1st year) Chicago established a dominate run blocking scheme and only allowed 31 sacks... and that was with a hodgepodge of craptastic QB's.

7) Seattle: Losing Hutchinson hurts, but this line still has all pro Walter Jones and and eight other linemen that would be starters on almost any other NFL team. They recently aquired Tom Ashworth who can play anywhere on the line. Great Depth.

8) Atlanta: Alex Gibbs' influence on this O line was immediate and profound. The Falcons' new zone blocking scheme allowed them to lead the NFL in rushing for the first time in team history with a franchise-record 2,672 yards. They are now Denver-lite and I expect to see continued improvement under Gibbs.

9) Philly: Todd Herremans is a 6 ft 6 monster. There are a lot of big guys on this powerful line and they appear to have some talented young guys behind them. Winston Justice may push for playing time in his rookie season.

10) Minnesota Vikings: Hutchinson is the best LG in the game. Birk should be healed from last season's hip surgery. This should be a very good line... but we'll need to see cohesion... and, personally, I've never been that impressed w/ McKinnley. He's not bad but I never understood the hype.

I was going to do my top 20, but this took longer than I thought and I'd better get some real work done today. Anyway, feel free to flame away that your favorites didn't make my top 10. O lines are a lot like Defenses... a lot of movement and its hard to tell how well they'll work together till the season starts; But this is my best guess at this point.

Id have to wait to see how long Birk can remain healthy before ranking the Vikings that high.

Sure Hutch will help, but that line has not been very good for a few years. They were 2nd only to the Texans in most sacks allowed last year...and their running game was nothing to write home about either.

I think they will improve. But top 10 might be asking a bit much.

Id have to wait to see how long Birk can remain healthy before ranking the Vikings that high.

Sure Hutch will help, but that line has not been very good for a few years. They were 2nd only to the Texans in most sacks allowed last year...and their running game was nothing to write home about either.

I agree, probably should have dropped them a few spots. It's just that they look so good on paper... we'll have to wait & see.

I'd probably finish my top 20 with:

11: Giants

12: Miami

13: Jacksonville

14: Carolina

15: Baltimore

16: New England

17: Jets

18: Cleveland

19: Dallas

20: St. Louis

Something to note:

Total sacks give up by the Vikings: 54

Total sacks of Culpepper: 31

Sacks per game of Culpepper: 4.96

Sacks per game of Johnson: 2.36

Something to note:

Total sacks give up by the Vikings: 54

Total sacks of Culpepper: 31

Sacks per game of Culpepper: 4.96

Sacks per game of Johnson: 2.36

Even at 2.35 per game...still would put them about 38 sacks for the year. Still bottom half of the league.

Even at 2.35 per game...still would put them about 38 sacks for the year. Still bottom half of the league.

But, that was without Birk, Hutchinson, Richardson, and Taylor.

The Bears are not a top 10 offensive line. Their overall offensive stats last year (and several years past) do nothing but prove that.

New England certainly deserves mention. You don't go to as many Super Bowls as they have without a great O-line. Maybe not overpowering, but one of the best "assignment" units I've ever seen.

Definitely not a Patriots fan, but to have Chicago on the list instead of NE is pure insanity.

The Bears are not a top 10 offensive line. Their overall offensive stats last year (and several years past) do nothing but prove that.

New England certainly deserves mention. You don't go to as many Super Bowls as they have without a great O-line. Maybe not overpowering, but one of the best "assignment" units I've ever seen.

Definitely not a Patriots fan, but to have Chicago on the list instead of NE is pure insanity.

Misinformed tripe.

Bears rushing: 2099 yds, 4.3 avg

Pats: 1512, 3.4

Sacks against

Chi: 31

NE: 28

I would suggest that Brady's release and presence in the pocket helped to keep sack numbers down.

The Bears line was in disarray in 2004. Last year, it was top notch. Top 10 anyway.

Misinformed tripe.

:headbanger: :lol: :ninja: :lol:

Jeebus, you're a homer.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-...ar?sort_col_1=4

Total yards per game:

NE: 352

Chicago: 256

First downs per game:

NE: 20.9

Chi: 14.6

I could go on and on......as to your dumbass comment about Brady's quick release keeping sack numbers down, you'll note that NE had about 10 more passing attempts per game than the Bears and still had less sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-...ar?sort_col_1=4

Usually you have a clue what you're talking about, but give me a fucking break, Walter.

You are equating overall offensive production directly with the quality of the oline. Does tis mean the Colts have the best oline? Your argument is flawed.

Even 3rd string RB Adrian Peterson produced behind this line. While the pats had some injuries, there is no excuse for that rushing total and avg. How do you answer to that?

You are equating overall offensive production directly with the quality of the oline. Does tis mean the Colts have the best oline? Your argument is flawed.

Even 3rd string RB Adrian Peterson produced behind this line. While the pats had some injuries, there is no excuse for that rushing total and avg. How do you answer to that?

Easy excuse...top two lineman out for the season as well as other injuries (Neal, Kazcur, Ashworth and Mankins all either missed time or were forced to play injured) forcing them to start two rookies on the leftside who took awhile to adjust. The O line never really had a five that played together for any period of time meaning they never had the opportunity to gel. They also loss their top blocking Te (Graham) to injuries who's a key part of their blocking schemes. Combine that with a backfield that was forced to start a street free agent in Heath Evans because all three RBs (Dillon, Pass and Faulk) were out of action with injuries. When actually playing the starting RB (Dillon) looked like crap. Unfortunately everything that could go wrong in the rush game did go wrong.

But, that was without Birk, Hutchinson, Richardson, and Taylor.

And when has Birk been healthy lately?

Hutch is good...he is not that good to take a line that was that poor last year and suddenly make it top 10.

All the cherry picking of Culpepper this and Johnson that will not change that the line last year was bad.

Easy excuse...top two lineman out for the season as well as other injuries (Neal, Kazcur, Ashworth and Mankins all either missed time or were forced to play injured) forcing them to start two rookies on the leftside who took awhile to adjust. The O line never really had a five that played together for any period of time meaning they never had the opportunity to gel. They also loss their top blocking Te (Graham) to injuries who's a key part of their blocking schemes. Combine that with a backfield that was forced to start a street free agent in Heath Evans because all three RBs (Dillon, Pass and Faulk) were out of action with injuries. When actually playing the starting RB (Dillon) looked like crap. Unfortunately everything that could go wrong in the rush game did go wrong.

Boston, what I think you're showing is that the NE O-Line, much like the rest of their team, isn't loaded with marquee guys but still is a deep and cohesive unit. There's just not a lot of star power on their line but they still get the job done. Mankins may develop into a ProBowl caliber lineman; he had an excellent rookie season. And right now Light is their only real "big money" guy on that line.

I'm not claiming that they're a top 10 unit, but they're certainly in the top half of the NFL with the potential to be much better as their younger linemen mature.

Boston, what I think you're showing is that the NE O-Line, much like the rest of their team, isn't loaded with marquee guys but still is a deep and cohesive unit. There's just not a lot of star power on their line but they still get the job done. Mankins may develop into a ProBowl caliber lineman; he had an excellent rookie season. And right now Light is their only real "big money" guy on that line.

I'm not claiming that they're a top 10 unit, but they're certainly in the top half of the NFL with the potential to be much better as their younger linemen mature.

Agreed, it's more that they go the unit route than the star power route. In the past they have gelled as the season went on and by the end of the year/playoffs they have been incredibly effective. As a unit they've had some very impressive outings during the playoffs especially when shutting down some marquee names like Peppers or Kearse or running the ball like Dillon did against Indy. Yet, last year it pretty much a mess from start to finish which meant every week a different face was forced to play and there was zero chance of any continuity.

As for this year I feel this area is going to be a huge strength and based on pure talent could be as good of a unit as they've had. Both Mankins and Kazcur were thrown to the wolves this year and the Pats should reap the benefits this year. Light is back and hopefully Koppen will be as well. Neal is still getting better. At backup both Hochstein and Gorin are back and both received a lot of playing time last year which should be beneficial. The two rookies look like they could be solid additions and there's other depth as well. While many have focused on losses such as AV and Willie they haven't noticed that the Pats have signed many trench players on both sides of the ball to extensions which will give them a strong foundation. At O line everyone except Koppen is signed long term. In many cases for four years. The same pretty much applies to the D line.

And I'm not dissing the pats, just CH's premise or reasons for his rankings. I think we would all agree that the main reason for the pats having a better O overall in 2005 is the qb spot. Brady being 100 times better than Orton was.

And I'm not dissing the pats, just CH's premise or reasons for his rankings. I think we would all agree that the main reason for the pats having a better O overall in 2005 is the qb spot. Brady being 100 times better than Orton was.

Unfortunately Jones was far better than Dillon as well.

Woah there chief. Insanity? You'll notice I ranked the Pats pretty high @ 16 over-all. I think that's pretty fair considering I don't really recognize any of their O linemen's names :argue:

Chicago = LT: TAIT, Miller, Brown, Kreutz (sp?) & Garza are AT WORST a very, very solid starting group. Imho, what pushes this line into the elite rankings is their depth. Their back-ups all have 4-5 years experience and can play multiple positions. St. Clair, Qasim Mitchell, Steve Edwards & Lenny Friedman might could land starting jobs on another roster.

anywho...

Time will tell, but I don't believe Thomas Jones is as talented as he looked last year. He was made to look so by what has become an elite O line.

Woah there chief. Insanity? You'll notice I ranked the Pats pretty high @ 16 over-all. I think that's pretty fair considering I don't really recognize any of their O linemen's names :angry:

:banana: exactly.

16 isn't unfair for NE, just be aware that despite their no-names, they have some young guys and a lot of potential to be better than 16.

Unfortunately Jones was far better than Dillon as well.

If you look at the Bears' backs last year they all excelled when they had the carries. Benson not right away, but once he became acclimated to the NFL game he did quite well, until he got injured. You don't think that had anything to do with the o-line?

:lol:

Sure, Brady's a badass. But give me a break. He can't be the only reason the Pats had less sacks than the Bears even though he throws ten more passes a game. If you watched NE the past few years (how couldn't you have), you'll note that there aren't many games where the coverage breaks down and Brady's jersey gets dirty. The Pats move the ball against even the best defenses (see the Denver playoff game).

Was their yards per carry where it should have been? No. But they deserve a lot more respect than to be ranked 10 spots behind the Bears 256 ypg.

But NE has relied on the pass more than probably any other team the past couple years.

And won doing it.

NE offensive line > Chicago offensive line.

NE offensive line > Chicago offensive line.

NE offensive line + NE offensive players > Chicago offensive line + Chicago offensive players

however...

NE offensive line < Chicago offensive line

But I'm not a math wizard.

Sorry, had to crash the thread and dispel all this talk of good offensive lines :cry:

The Texans won't be last this year! :cry:

Don't kick me off the board for saying this, but I think that San Fran's line will be greatly improved and they could end up being in the top 10. they have Newberry back at Center. They have Larry Allen at one guard and Justin Smiley at the other with Eric Heitman and DAve Baas for Depth and they have a young Kwame Harris at one Tackle with veteran Jonas Jennings at the other. I think they are ready. they have a good mix of veterans and youth

Don't kick me off the board for saying this, but I think that San Fran's line will be greatly improved and they could end up being in the top 10. they have Newberry back at Center. They have Larry Allen at one guard and Justin Smiley at the other with Eric Heitman and DAve Baas for Depth and they have a young Kwame Harris at one Tackle with veteran Jonas Jennings at the other. I think they are ready. they have a good mix of veterans and youth

:thumbsdown: Funny you should mention San Fran. I have them ranked 21st, just out of the top 20. I don't believe they'll improve enough to crack the top half of the league... but I do think their better than 10 or 11 other O'lines out there. I'm not as sold on Larry Allen as you are. He's strong as an ox and gets great push... terrific goal line Guard... but I don't know if he can still pass protect. He's getting long in the tooth and Parcells probably got all he could out of him the last couple of years. Either way, I still think he was a great addition to San Fran, at worst he offers great leadership & a terrific goal line presence.