Sign in to follow this  
Walter34

Rule ideas

Just a few random thoughts to consider for next season:

1. Implement standard FF scoring for qbs. I find the limited yardage numbers difficult to track and project when doing rankings

2. Drop the milestone points, but keep the long distance bonus. I dont see the big deal with getting 100 yds instead of 99.

3. Increase defensive scoring to include pts against bonuses

4. For draft order, have a lottery for non playoff teams for order and have a separate lottery for playoff teams for the latter part of the round. This would eliminate tanking games in order to get Bush. Not sayin anyone has done so.

5. FAs - change to after weeks 4, 7 and 10. Also set pick order after week 3, 6 and 9. This would essentially be "Da Bomb rule" where tanking to get a higher slot would not be easy or allowed.

6. For FAs, use record instead of pts for to determine order.

7. Implement a no brainer lineup rule where a bye, backup or OUT player cannot start ahead of a healthy active one. Let commish use discretion here.

4. For draft order, have a lottery for non playoff teams for order and have a separate lottery for playoff teams for the latter part of the round. This would eliminate tanking games in order to get Bush. Not sayin anyone has done so.

Careful now. You're endangering fuhner's shot at another top runningback prospect. :o

Careful now. You're endangering fuhner's shot at another top runningback prospect. :pointstosky:

I wish my team was good enough that I actually could be tanking. Maybe it took me a little too long to begin starting Caddy early in the season and maybe I continued to start Culpooper a little too long. Lately, I've been avoiding playing hunches in case someone does want to accuse me of tanking. :(

I like the our point system, I think it makes are league unique.

I do like the lottery system for the draft (it also will benefit me)

I like many of the ideas, but I do not like the draft lottery idea. This is NFL fantasy, not NBA.

Because the order is largely determined, I would imagine this wouldnt go into effect until the summer of 2007.

I like many of the ideas, but I do not like the draft lottery idea.  This is NFL fantasy, not NBA.

Because the order is largely determined, I would imagine this wouldnt go into effect until the summer of 2007.

I'm not arguing against it because my team stinks this year, I just don't like the idea. I don't think anyone in this league tanks (now that da bomb is gone), so I don't think it's necessary.

I like many of the ideas, but I do not like the draft lottery idea.  This is NFL fantasy, not NBA.

I'm not arguing against it because my team stinks this year, I just don't like the idea. I don't think anyone in this league tanks (now that da bomb is gone), so I don't think it's necessary.

Not necessary, but maybe fun to have a shot at the top pick.

1. Implement standard FF scoring for qbs. I find the limited yardage numbers difficult to track and project when doing rankings

as an FYI:

The idea behind the QB (passing) scoring was to lesson the impact that QB's have. I didn't want it to basically be a "required" start two QB's league. I wanted the other positions to have a better shot at outscoring the QB's.

Changing the passing scoring from 0.03 per yard to a more traditional 0.04 or 0.05 would have benefits to some teams and harm others - just something to keep in mind when considering this idea.

Not necessary, but maybe fun to have a shot at the top pick.

I would only be for this if it was weighted similar to the NBA's draft.

If my team is by far the worst in the league, I should have a better shot at getting the No. 1 pick.

If everyone's team has the same shot, though, then I would be pissed, after all, it would have been my team the sucked Ron Dayne's jockstrap, not yours.

5. FAs - change to after weeks 4, 7 and 10. Also set pick order after week 3, 6 and 9. This would essentially be "Da Bomb rule" where tanking to get a higher slot would not be easy or allowed.

The idea of having the first one before week three is as follows:

> the NFL schedule starts the byes that week

> this can be a way of helping a team to cover it's bye problems - something that wasn't able to be considered during the league's fraft since a couple guys may have changed NFL teams since then (june roster purges or trades)

My comments are just for informational purposes - what I was thinking when I chose these rules. We will vote during the offseason on whatever any one owner wishes to propose for a vote, and I'm not trying to sway decisions but rather to let you know why I decided on what I did.

For some of the changes, I like them and would be amenable to considering a change.

However, for some of the proposals, they seem arbitrary and don't have any real argument behind changing the rule (i.e. FA from weeks 3, 6, 9 to weeks 4, 7, 10). For me, if we're going to change a rule, there needs to be a reason behind the change, not just change for change's sake.

We'd have to create a specific system for how the lottery would work:

• How many tickets for each regular season finishing position? (Could be one each or could be weighted - but then how exactly should it be weighted?)
  • When would the lottery happen? Before or after the offseason cutdown date? Before or after the NFL draft?
  • How would the drawings happen? We've used the Irony dice roll site before. I guess if you get more than one entry then you roll more than once. Or the commish can handle it with one roll and a mapping of dice roll outcomes to fraft orders.

How about holding the rookie draft before the NFL draft? Talent is talent, so the lesser record teams still can draft the better athletes. But the possibility for a middle of the pack or playoff team to land a sleeper would make things interesting.

How about holding the rookie draft before the NFL draft? Talent is talent, so the lesser record teams still can draft the better athletes. But the possibility for a middle of the pack or playoff team to land a sleeper would make things interesting.

I don't like this idea at all.

1. What if you are looking for immediate help and a top college player is unexpectedly drafted by a team with an incumbent starter? That may weigh into drafting strategy.

2. It gives an unfair advantage to someone like Mongo, who spends more time "scouting" college football (and has more time to do so). While I follow college ball, I don't have the time to look at every player out there...I'd rather let the NFL teams do some of the work for me.

1.  What if you are looking for immediate help and a top college player is unexpectedly drafted by a team with an incumbent starter?  That may weigh into drafting strategy. 

2.  It gives an  unfair advantage to someone like Mongo, who spends more time "scouting" college football (and has more time to do so).  While I follow college ball, I don't have the time to look at every player out there...I'd rather let the NFL teams do some of the work for me.

Like JJ arrington? Maybe we're better off doing it before the nfl draft so people aren't tempted into fool's gold like JJ, Shelton and Williamson. Its not like Caddy, Ronnie and Cedric would'nt still be the first three because talent always wins out over situation, sooner or later.

As far as mongo having an advantage over others, there are pre-draft magazines that come out before the draft. Let those writers do the work for you. Chris Henry, for example, would have been a late first / early second round talent (and rightfully so as it turns out) prior to the NFL draft.

JJ arrington

:mad:

Chris Henry

:pointstosky:

That would certainly be a unique idea. I'm not sure how I feel about doing that and having a lottery for picks, but these ideas should be discussed and voted on by the league.

We'd want to time the league's fraft so that it starts as late as possible and yet it has to finish before the NFL draft starts. Ponder that for a while - we've always been rapid frafters but we might have to be more hardcore about contacting geeks who are letting their time expire.

That would certainly be a unique idea. I'm not sure how I feel about doing that and having a lottery for picks, but these ideas should be discussed and voted on by the league.

We'd want to time the league's fraft so that it starts as late as possible and yet it has to finish before the NFL draft starts. Ponder that for a while - we've always been rapid frafters but we might have to be more hardcore about contacting geeks who are letting their time expire.

Actually, the league fraft could start at any point after the deadline for underclassmen to back out of the NFL draft. But I imagine that we'd at least want to wait 'til after the combine and most of the individual workouts have happened.

I'm liking this idea the more I ponder it.

Just so we have a copy of all these ideas in one place:

I'll suggest a rule change - if you timed-out last time we did a free agent fraft, then your time to pick needs to be shortened.  If you can't be online during the day, then just send a list to Mongo or JGalt or else we'll be able to move on quickly.  If you picked in time last time, then this wouldn't change anything for you.  For most of us, this has never been an issue. 

HARSH = no clock - you and the next guy are both OTC at the same time but if you have a commish with a list then you get to have your pick first, otherwise that other geek can immediately pick

LESS HARSH = your timer just lasts for 30 minutes rather than the full 180

2. Drop the milestone points, but keep the long distance bonus. I dont see the big deal with getting 100 yds instead of 99.

This would be a simple change to make and shouldn't impact player valuations too much.

3. Increase defensive scoring to include pts against bonuses

If we're going to vote on this one, we'll need a proposal for the exact scoring. Here's what Chimi does and what could be proposed or used as a starting point:

• 8.0 point(s) for 0 to 6 points allowed
  • 6.0 point(s) for 7 to 13 points allowed
  • 4.0 point(s) for 14 to 20 points allowed
  • 2.0 point(s) for 21 to 27 points allowed
  • 0.0 point(s) for 28 to 99 points allowed

The original idea was that a team that's 0-2 but has scored 250 points needs less help than a team that's 2-0 but has scored 150. That was the idea anyway. Either proposed method is fine with me.

The original idea was that a team that's 0-2 but has scored 250 points needs less help than a team that's 2-0 but has scored 150. That was the idea anyway. Either proposed method is fine with me.

We need something as complicated as a quarterback rating. It could factor in points for, record, and adp (that given year's) of the players. :hyper:

7. Implement a no brainer lineup rule where a bye, backup or OUT player cannot start ahead of a healthy active one. Let commish use discretion here.

We would need to be careful about this one. This can't become a way of starters who might be out based on a gametime decision getting put back on the bench after the game kicks off. The commish shouldn't have the power to bench someone who might be sitting out and then ends up having a great day. The guidelines would have to be carefully articulated. Please feel free to suggest something.

We need something as complicated as a quarterback rating. It could factor in points for, record, and adp (that given year's) of the players. :hyper:

;)

Oh goody - a 99 page rulez manual

;)

1.  What if you are looking for immediate help and a top college player is unexpectedly drafted by a team with an incumbent starter?  That may weigh into drafting strategy. 

2.  It gives an  unfair advantage to someone like Mongo, who spends more time "scouting" college football (and has more time to do so).  While I follow college ball, I don't have the time to look at every player out there...I'd rather let the NFL teams do some of the work for me.

Like JJ arrington? Maybe we're better off doing it before the nfl draft so people aren't tempted into fool's gold like JJ, Shelton and Williamson. Its not like Caddy, Ronnie and Cedric would'nt still be the first three because talent always wins out over situation, sooner or later.

As far as mongo having an advantage over others, there are pre-draft magazines that come out before the draft. Let those writers do the work for you. Chris Henry, for example, would have been a late first / early second round talent (and rightfully so as it turns out) prior to the NFL draft.

I'm not talking about the Chris Henrys of the college ranks. He was probably the 5th or 6th ranked WR in last year's draft. I'm talking more about guys from smaller colleges who might fall into a draft position in the 5th or 6th round that's favorable with a team that might offer a unique opportunity. Or perhaps a TE.

Not to be lazy, but I don't have the inclination to go out and buy pre-draft magazines...not really why I play fantasy football. If I wanted to become Mel Kiper, Jr., I'd try that route, but I'm really not interested. Without a list of the NFL draft, I would have been useless in this year's draft.

Not to be lazy, but I don't have the inclination to go out and buy pre-draft magazines...not really why I play fantasy football. If I wanted to become Mel Kiper, Jr., I'd try that route, but I'm really not interested. Without a list of the NFL draft, I would have been useless in this year's draft.

There's tons of info available on the 'net leading up to the NFL draft. Several sites have already published mock drafts.

My thoughts:

Scoring should not change. People have built their teams to compete with the scoring system in place, you can't change it.

Drafting before the NFL draft is just stupid. Talent is talent, sure, but the team that drafts a player has a huge impact on the player's value, ie. an awesome WR that gets stuck on a crappy passing team, a QB that gets drafted behind a quality starter, etc. There really is no point in moving up the draft.

The lottery is a good suggestion, but I would say only for non-playoff teams, and implement something where the worst team has the greatest number of chances, and only the first 2 spots are up for lottery, so that the worst team is guaranteed at least the 3rd pick.

This is a fun league, don't go focking it all up, mkay?

For some of the changes, I like them and would be amenable to considering a change.

However, for some of the proposals, they seem arbitrary and don't have any real argument behind changing the rule (i.e. FA from weeks 3, 6, 9 to weeks 4, 7, 10). For me, if we're going to change a rule, there needs to be a reason behind the change, not just change for change's sake.

For this one, it gives more weeks to judge players on and also allows teams that are out of it to pick up a prospect player over an immediate help fillin.

* I dont think Gado is owned, but he would have been with a later FA draft.

These are just ideas to consider or dismiss. Not saying the current is bad persay. The one I feel most strongly about is the defensive scoring. The current system rewards the big play, but not the overall quality of the D.