Sign in to follow this  
uubeee

Cheeseheads - What do you think?

How many fellow Cheesheads think we should go after a guy like Stephen Neal? Move Barry to guard and bring in Neal as well?

What about Vanderjagt? Need a kicker even if he is a jackass.

Maurice Morris? This is a guy I would love to pick up.

Tommy Polley? Maybe a good LB to throw into the mix.

Ben Taylor? Heard we were bringing him in.

Wait and see what shakes out after June cuts?

Just want to see what other cheeseheads are thinking.

Please don't continue the cheesehead thing. It sucks.

I don't think there is any interest in Ben Taylor any more. Packers wanted him only as a minimum type guy.

I do think TT will sign at least one veteran guard, and Neal would be my guess.

Rb is also a possibility in FA, and I would think a guy like Jonathan Wells would be a good fit. Good blocker and receiver. Should fit in nicely as a third down guy. Find out this year whether or not Gado is the real deal. If he isn't RB becomes a high priority next year in the draft.

I think they will also bring in a FA LB to play the strong side. Not a real important position in this scheme, so a mid level guy will do. Then they'll draft either Hawk in RD 1 or Howard, Carpenter or Ryans in RD 2 to play the weak side.

I think TT is only really interested in signing guys that are around 26 years old or younger right now. Packers probably need a couple of years to fill the holes they have and to develop Rodgers. The goal is a contender in 2008. Guys that are 30+ won't be helping the Packers then. Better to try younger guys and try to find players that way than waste the cap space on overpaid big name vets.

I do think however they will sign some veterans to stabilize some of the holes later in FA, maybe even June. Stop gap type contracts though.

Plus TT will frontload as many contracts this year as he can to give the Packers even more cap room next season to work with. Maybe there will be a very good player available at a position that makes a difference, (i.e. not a guard)

Ben Taylor :Linebacker Ben Taylor has what his agent described as comparable offers to sign with the Packers or re-sign with Cleveland. Plus, Carolina has expressed some interest.

The Packers view Taylor as a starter, according to agent Bob Lattinville. However, he said their one-year offer didn't reflect that.

"I know Ben won't be retiring off the offer he's got from Green Bay," Lattinville said. "Right now he'd come in as a starter. We were hopeful he might get offered starter money, but that's their prerogative."

Taylor, 6 feet 1½ inches and 245 pounds, started 16 games in '05 at weak inside linebacker in the Browns' 3-4 defense. Injuries caused him to miss 25 of a possible 48 games from 2002-'04.

"He’ll have an opportunity to come in and compete if you look at our roster," McCarthy said. "He brings extra value because of his special teams production. He’s probably more of a ‘Sam’ (strong-side linebacker). He’s an instinctive guy."

Taylor is a native of Bellaire, Ohio.

"Ben’s an Ohio guy," Lattinville said. "It’s pretty hard to uproot a guy from the team he’s been with for four years unless you’re offering him a great opportunity and close to market."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=409983

Kicker: Packers imminently need a veteran kicker. We do not want to play the Brett Conway game again. Vanderjagt is the best option out there. Not solveable in the draft.

Guard: We dont have anyone worth a damn right now. Need a veteran free agent (Larry Allen or Neal) Also a priority in the draft (Max Jean Gilles) because we could use two reliable starters at guard. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=409270

Running Back We have two decent guys although Green is a question mark. I wouldnt think the Packers bring in a free agent RB; rather look for a decent pick up prior to round #3 of the draft to add depth to the position. (Brian Calhoun in late second or third)

Linebacker All we have is Barnett. This is our #1 priority and need reliable starters ASAP. A priority in free agency as well as Round 1-2 in the draft. Make a run for Arrington?

Wide receiver Need depth at the position especially with Walker's attitude. If Walker is gone, we need a replacement worthy of his caliber.

WR needs some depth...but I see none out there all that appealing.

Agree on guard...Neal...and even at his age Larry Allen now...and here is why...a vet lineman who knows the position very well and could help out the youngsters Coston and Whitticker.

LB...wonder what the deal was with only offering one year contract...seems they have done this with several people this offseason.

RB...would love Calhoun if we could get him....great back for this system to get him involved in the passing game.

There is no one out there who really thrills me right now. If they can sign a veteran guard very cheap, great, do it. Otherwise, throw the youngsters back in the fire. I'm hearing a lot about Coston's potential, and I also think they'd like to play Barry at guard.

As for LB, they need help. I'm not sure Taylor is the answer, and I don't think he's worth what he's hoping to make.

There is no one out there who really thrills me right now. If they can sign a veteran guard very cheap, great, do it. Otherwise, throw the youngsters back in the fire. I'm hearing a lot about Coston's potential, and I also think they'd like to play Barry at guard.

As for LB, they need help. I'm not sure Taylor is the answer, and I don't think he's worth what he's hoping to make.

Totally agree with this. Oh, and LB is most definitely our biggest problem at the moment. I believe we need to try and sign at least 1 veteran guard, but I think we have potential in other guys already on the roster to get it done. Need to draft at both of these positions, most definitely. Not particularly worried about RB. I think Gado has what it takes, and just needs the O-line shored up to prove it. I think he filled in admireably last season. Really only had 1 bad game.

Are Packers fans actually expecting to be competitive next year? I know that there were a ton of players with injuries but from the outside it appears as if they are rebuilding. They seem to be hinting to Favre by not making any major moves that they hope he retires.

Are Packers fans actually expecting to be competitive next year? I know that there were a ton of players with injuries but from the outside it appears as if they are rebuilding. They seem to be hinting to Favre by not making any major moves that they hope he retires.

They were "competetive" last year. Several close games.

Competetive as far as pushing for the playoffs...maybe...8-8 would be good IMO...but definately not a contender for anything (barring Walker's return and Favre somehow regaining the old magic...then all bets are off).

The Packers never should have let Longwell leave. Now there is a void at kicker. Even if we sign Vanderjacked we will have to pay a lot, plus he isn't used to kicking outside, plus he is a locker room disruption, plus he can't make a kick in the clutch.

The Packers will suffer from letting Longwell go. Instead of alienating him, then not offering a big contract, we should have fired Sander since he can't handle a friggin snap and then re-signed Longwell.

Only choices left are:

1) Vanderjacked

2) Edinger (a swap of kickers with the Vikings)

3) unproven player

4) crappy veteran

The Packers never should have let Longwell leave. Now there is a void at kicker. Even if we sign Vanderjacked we will have to pay a lot, plus he isn't used to kicking outside, plus he is a locker room disruption, plus he can't make a kick in the clutch.

The Packers will suffer from letting Longwell go. Instead of alienating him, then not offering a big contract, we should have fired Sander since he can't handle a friggin snap and then re-signed Longwell.

Only choices left are:

1) Vanderjacked

2) Edinger (a swap of kickers with the Vikings)

3) unproven player

4) crappy veteran

Longwell wanted to go...and despite Longwell's whines...it was not all Sander's fault.

1. Perhaps...not sure I want the headaches at that salary...money in the regular seaosn...but does not do kickoffs...and sucks in the playoffs (though I do not think we have to worry about that one).

2. I hope not...but not a terrible option...but he is worse on kickoffs than Longwell and less accurate. :lol:

3. Might be the best way to go...Longwell was an unproven player himself.

4. Not totally a bad route...there usually ends up being a guy out there who is not terrible and can do alright.

Longwell wanted to go...and despite Longwell's whines...it was not all Sander's fault.

1. Perhaps...not sure I want the headaches at that salary...money in the regular seaosn...but does not do kickoffs...and sucks in the playoffs (though I do not think we have to worry about that one).

2. I hope not...but not a terrible option...but he is worse on kickoffs than Longwell and less accurate. :lol:

3. Might be the best way to go...Longwell was an unproven player himself.

4. Not totally a bad route...there usually ends up being a guy out there who is not terrible and can do alright.

I tend to agree with Longwell when debating about who was at fault for last year. Longwell had a huge disappointment last year with the addition of Sander as the holder...I don't think its a coincidence. I remember 2 botched holds by Sander off the top of my head, one of which was against Tampa and cost us the game. I don't doubt the rest of his holding sucked as well.

I tend to agree with Longwell when debating about who was at fault for last year. Longwell had a huge disappointment last year with the addition of Sander as the holder...I don't think its a coincidence. I remember 2 botched holds by Sander off the top of my head, one of which was against Tampa and cost us the game. I don't doubt the rest of his holding sucked as well.

He also had a 65% year in 2001.

And he has been complaining about holds before Sander got there.

Kicker is the least of the problems in Green Bay. Longwell wanted to walk, let him walk. Keeping Longwell wouldn't have magically elevated them to a playoff contender this season.

He also had a 65% year in 2001.

And he has been complaining about holds before Sander got there.

He was also 23-26 and 24-28 the two years before last year, and he only kicked four 50+ yarders last year. Vikes will take him and the pack can have edinger or some other scrub, not having a decent kicker sucks bigtime and longwell has always been decent if not better than that.

not having a decent kicker sucks bigtime and longwell has always been decent if not better than that.

I repeat. Kicker is the least of the problems in Green Bay. Longwell wanted to walk, let him walk. Keeping Longwell wouldn't have magically elevated them to a playoff contender this season.

I repeat. Kicker is the least of the problems in Green Bay. Longwell wanted to walk, let him walk. Keeping Longwell wouldn't have magically elevated them to a playoff contender this season.

thats fine but maybe two years from now the pack will be back to contending and they will have some scrub kicker they can't rely on. I guess its all about this coming year, and you must not think they are going to be any good this year, not really sure why with the division we play in. :doublethumbsup:

thats fine but maybe two years from now the pack will be back to contending and they will have some scrub kicker they can't rely on. I guess its all about this coming year, and you must not think they are going to be any good this year, not really sure why with the division we play in. B)

By then we'll have drafted an awesome kicker in the third round :doublethumbsup:

thats fine but maybe two years from now the pack will be back to contending and they will have some scrub kicker they can't rely on. I guess its all about this coming year, and you must not think they are going to be any good this year, not really sure why with the division we play in. :doublethumbsup:

The guys is already 31 years old. Regardless of that fact, he clearly did not want to be in Green Bay anymore, and he said he wanted to kick in warm weather in or a dome several time the last few years. You want Thompson to try to force the guy to say? What could he do really?

And they're not going to be any good this year, sorry to say. There is no miraculous turnaround in store for Green Bay. As a Packer fan, I'm facing facts. There are way too many holes to fill, on both sides of the ball, for me to believe that they'll be contenders in one season. Add in a new coaching staff, and the odds of a miracle turnaround get even lower.

Packers | Cole re-signed

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:08:32 -0800

The Green Bay Packers have announced the team has re-signed exclusive rights free agent DT Colin Cole. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Packers | Arth signed

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:05:43 -0800

The Green Bay Packers have announced the team has signed free agent QB Tom Arth (Colts). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

He was also 23-26 and 24-28 the two years before last year, and he only kicked four 50+ yarders last year. Vikes will take him and the pack can have edinger or some other scrub, not having a decent kicker sucks bigtime and longwell has always been decent if not better than that.

Im not saying he is a bad kicker or anything. Just that he did like to complain about the holds...

And he will probably do well in the dome...

And I really hope we do not end up with Edinger.

Packers | Cole re-signed

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:08:32 -0800

The Green Bay Packers have announced the team has re-signed exclusive rights free agent DT Colin Cole. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Packers | Arth signed

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:05:43 -0800

The Green Bay Packers have announced the team has signed free agent QB Tom Arth (Colts). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Love the Cole signing...Arth? eh...who?

Cole is the guy I think will end up a starter by the end of the season next to Pickett.

Have you guys been hearing the widespread rumors the Brett definately is coming back, but the management is holding off on announcing for strategic reasons?

okay, I just saw the thread about it. carry on.

The points about Longwell are well taken. I guess the bottom line is that K is another position that will have a subpar player on the Packers this year.

If we don't get Mario Williams in the draft (and I don't think we will because the Saints want him) who should we select? Hawk would be good imo. Am I crazy for wanting Vernon Davis at #5? TE hasn't been a good position lately and with only Driver at WR we could use some help in the passing game big time.

The points about Longwell are well taken. I guess the bottom line is that K is another position that will have a subpar player on the Packers this year.

If we don't get Mario Williams in the draft (and I don't think we will because the Saints want him) who should we select? Hawk would be good imo. Am I crazy for wanting Vernon Davis at #5? TE hasn't been a good position lately and with only Driver at WR we could use some help in the passing game big time.

TE has not been great...but not the glaring weakness that LB is...and WR could be.

And we have 5 TEs on the roster right now...and Bubba just got a big payday last season. Not sure TT could justify another TE being paid that much.

Though I think Davis can be a hell of a player in this league.

TE has not been great...but not the glaring weakness that LB is...and WR could be.

And we have 5 TEs on the roster right now...and Bubba just got a big payday last season. Not sure TT could justify another TE being paid that much.

Though I think Davis can be a hell of a player in this league.

The chargers don't have a great WR but having a sweet receiving TE which works out well for them. Imagine Vernon Davis, Franks, Driver and a scrub (Gardner/Fergy) as receiving core...no worse than drafting a WR to help the passing game imo.