Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

Some interesting Final Four history....

George Mason's inclusion in this year's Final Four was called by many one of the greatest non-major conference tournament runs of all-time. However, when reviewing NCAA tournament history, it is interesting to note the high number of "non-major" teams that made the Final Four from 1963-1979. It's something that I doubt everyone is aware of.

The following teams made the Final Four during these years:

1963- Loyola of Chicago**

1965- Princeton, Wichita State

1966- Texas Western**

1967- Dayton

1969- Drake

1970- Jacksonville*, New Mexico State, St. Bonaventure

1971- Western Kentucky

1977- NC-Charlotte

1979- Penn, Indiana St.*

*- made it to championship game

**- won the NCAA title

I guess it's only been the last twenty years or so that the Final Four is always composed of "power" conference teams. History suggests that the role of the mid-major on the national scene was a prominent one. Maybe it will be again??

What about UNLV in early 90's and Utah with Rick Majerus made it to the Final 4. These teams play in the Moutain West Conference, not exactly considered a power conference. :rolleyes:

Wasn't the NIT the tourney to be in back in the day?

What about UNLV in early 90's and Utah with Rick Majerus made it to the Final 4. These teams play in the Moutain West Conference, not exactly considered a power conference. :rolleyes:

Hard to know where to include the Mountain West Teams.....maybe not a power conference, but not really a mid-major either.

Kind of like Louisville in the 70's and 80s....played in the now defunct Metro conference. Not a major conference to be sure, but much like the Conference USA and Mountain West became, nearly a major conference at that time.

Wasn't the NIT the tourney to be in back in the day?

Way, way, way back......by the 40s, the emphasis shifted to the NCAA Tournament.

You are thinking of nonmajor in today's context. 1970 NCAA Field consisted of mostly teams not considered majors by today's standards.

Also gives insight into how UCLA won all the Championships. Played maybe 1-2 tops, really tough teams per tourney. As opposed to 5-6 today.

Silly Whiteys

Basketball is for blacks

You are thinking of nonmajor in today's context. 1970 NCAA Field consisted of mostly teams not considered majors by today's standards.

Also gives insight into how UCLA won all the Championships. Played maybe 1-2 tops, really tough teams per tourney. As opposed to 5-6 today.

You are correct and that was kind of my point....that basketball used to be dominated not by "power" conferences so much. Is a return to that likely? Probably not. I just thought it was interesting to see some of the teams from the past that used to make it deep into the tourney.

And, yes, I would agree that it cheapens the UCLA titles just a bit when compared to what is required today.