Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

Seymour agrees to a long term extension

Patriots | Seymour agrees to extension

Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:10:05 -0700

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports New England Patriots DE Richard Seymour has agreed to a long-term extension. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

KFFL.com

It's rumored to be around 8 mil per season making Seymour the highest paid DL in the NFL. So much for the talk of the Pats nickel and diming their studs. They just know which ones to break the bank on and which ones not to. This signing overshadows the losses of Givens, Willy and Adam. They just locked up arguably the best DL in the game and are just getting started. The free agent crop this year sucked big time aside from T.O. who's a head case so I'm glad they laid low. Great news. :ninja:

Patriots | Seymour's extension reportedly worth $30 million

Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:53:50 -0700

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, citing ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, reports New England Patriots DE Richard Seymour's contract extension is worth around $30 million.

This was great for Pat fans, not only for the talent he brings,..but he's definitely a team leader.... :banana:

Patriots | Contract update: R. Seymour

Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:15:00 -0700

New England Patriots DL Richard Seymour's contract extension included base salaries of $585,000 (2006), $600,000 (2007), $730,000 (2008) and $3.685 million (2009).

There must be some huge bonuses in there. :lol:

Patriots | More details on Seymour's deal

Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:48:06 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports New England Patriots DE Richard Seymour will make $28 million over three years and $24 million of it is guaranteed. The strange part of his deal is that only $6 million is being paid this year. There is an $18.6 million option bonus in 2007.

:doublethumbsup:

Patriots | More on Seymour deal

Fri, 14 Apr 2006 06:00:18 -0700

Michael Felger, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots DE Richard Seymour will receive the bulk of his new contract via an $18.66 million option bonus due next season. He also received a guaranteed $5.34 million as part of a renegotiation bonus this year, which roughly equaled his scheduled earnings for this season. Most importantly for the Pats, his cap number is slated to be just $4.4 million in 2006 before it goes up to $8.26 million in 2007, $8.39 million in 2008 and $11.34 million in 2009. Seymour will also receive workout bonuses totaling $426,320. The deal apparently skirted the league's rule on multiple renegotiations within a 12-month period (Seymour received a slight raise last August) by keeping his 2006 cap number the same. And while it runs four years, it overlaps with the final existing year on Seymour's contract, meaning Seymour is signed only through the 2009 season.

Patriots | More details on Seymour's deal

Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:48:06 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports New England Patriots DE Richard Seymour will make $28 million over three years and $24 million of it is guaranteed. The strange part of his deal is that only $6 million is being paid this year. There is an $18.6 million option bonus in 2007.

:mellow:

Yikes. So much for the long term. You dont actually think they would agree to this option do you? Why not just franchise him if they couldnt work out a reasonable deal. Great player, but the structure of the deal makes no sense unless we are missing something.

It's rumored to be around 8 mil per season making Seymour the highest paid DL in the NFL. So much for the talk of the Pats nickel and diming their studs. They just know which ones to break the bank on and which ones not to. This signing overshadows the losses of Givens, Willy and Adam. They just locked up arguably the best DL in the game and are just getting started. The free agent crop this year sucked big time aside from T.O. who's a head case so I'm glad they laid low. Great news. :lol:

He's obviously the best of the bunch, but keeping a guy you already had does not make up for the 3 key losses you mentioned. And how long is he kept based on the option bonus?

Great player, but the structure of the deal makes no sense unless we are missing something....

And how long is he kept based on the option bonus?

HTH

The key details of Seymour's deal filed with the NFL Players Association, reported in this Friday Boston Globe piece, break down like this:

Signing bonus: $5.34 million

Option bonus: $18.66 million* due in 2007 (specific date unknown)

2006 base salary: $585,000

2007 base salary: $600,000

2008 base salary: $730,000

2009 base salary: $3.685 million

* If the Patriots don't pick up the option bonus, Seymour's 2007 base salary becomes $19.26 million guaranteed. This clause is built in to essentially ensure that Seymour's option bonus is picked up.

UPDATE: ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports on Friday that the $18.66 million option bonus is split into two parts. The first part is $6.66 million, and according to Pasquarelli can be paid any time from Aug. 4 of this year to next March. The second part is $12 million and is due next March. This detail is crucial because it allows the Patriots to use some of their current cap space by executing the first part of the option before the end of the 2006 league year.

Seymour will also receive workout bonuses of $100,000 in each season from 2006-2009.

While the deal was confirmed as a four-year extension by Seymour, it is technically a three-year extension since Seymour was under contract through 2006.

Yikes. So much for the long term. You dont actually think they would agree to this option do you? Why not just franchise him if they couldnt work out a reasonable deal. Great player, but the structure of the deal makes no sense unless we are missing something.

He's obviously the best of the bunch, but keeping a guy you already had does not make up for the 3 key losses you mentioned. And how long is he kept based on the option bonus?

The only 1 of the 3 mentioned I have a hard time not questioning is Vinatierri. Letting him go was a huge risk and personally I wish they'd have ponied up the $$ to keep him for another 3-4 years seeeing how we had the room to do it. Willie is at the end of the road but still has some decent football left in him short term. I don't think spending what Cleveland did was worth the investment on a guy his age and have no problem moving on without him. No doubt we will be looking for a replacement for Willie early on day 1. As for Givens the $$ he got from Tenn doesn't = his production or talent level IMO or obviously the Pats brass' opinions either. Resigning Seymour and Branch were paramount for us this offseason and should be first priority as they are by far our best players at their respective positions. Seymour should be locked up for 4 more years which should make him a Pat thru most of his prime. After that who knows, 4 years is an eternity in the NFL and aside from QB's who's really playing on a legitimate 5 year deal nowadays anyways? Now for the offseason, the amount of $$ spent on borderline talent like Randal El and other FA's was ridiculous given their production. Name me some FA's who we would have been better served to pony up huge $$ on aside from Adam? With the new CBA teams had a glut of $$ and overpayed for a bunch of mediocre talent except for a handfull of guys like Adam, T.O. and Hutchinson. I'm very happy we stayed out of that whole process. We can replace Willie and Givens, Adam is the big risk. Signing Seymour and Branch were absolutley the way to go and letting the rest go was good business sense as well. We'll be fine if we find a decent kicker and like very other team we're not decimated by injuries. Overpaying for some borderline starters wouldn't have made us better in the short or long term.

I agree with everything you said Rocket. Most signings this year were over-priced. But, at the end of the day, the Pats are a worse team now than they were at the end of last year. The 3 mentioned havent been replaced with comparable players yet and likely wont be.

You could be right Walter but the jury is still out as to whether the Pats will be improved or not.. I definately don't see them gaining any advantage or even staying the same at kicker. That's a downgrade regardless and hopefully not one that will haunt us. I could easily see them replacing Givens' production or even exceeding it thru the draft as alot of quality wr's are found in the mid rounds even in years like this where the position is supposedly weak. As for Willie I could see them losing a little initially from an experience standpoint but if they find a guy like Carpenter or Lawson I could actually see that being an upgrade after the learning curve especially in speed/ athleticism . I guess I'm being an optimist but given the Pats' drafting history I'll keep that perspective til they're proven wrong. One things for sure the team will have a strong, disciplined mentality and great coaching.