Sign in to follow this  
Ryan166

Weightlifting Question

Which is better for building mass? Exercising my biceps, triceps, abs in 1 night then resting for 2 days. Or breaking it up like Biceps/Triceps, rest 1 day. Abs after that, rest 1 day. Thanks.

cue in a Gettinghuge response in 3,2,1...

i prefer one muscle group a day. heavier weight, low reps, longer rest between reps/set, lots of protein, and winstrol

Guest Black Label Society
Which is better for building mass? Exercising my biceps, triceps, abs in 1 night then resting for 2 days. Or breaking it up like Biceps/Triceps, rest 1 day. Abs after that, rest 1 day. Thanks.

I think you got it wrong from the start Ryan.

If you want to build mass, lift 1 body part per day. Lift hard, heavy and with decent breaks between sets (2-3 minutes rest between sets). IE Do Chest on Monday, Bench Press, then Incline, maybe decline and maybe some dips. Tuesday do Biceps, Wednesday do Triceps, Thursday do Back, Friday do Shoulders and Legs.

You can do abs basically everyday after probably a month of working them out. Start with 50 a day. 5 sets of 10 in the morning for example. After that, do 200 a day.

You GOTTA eat right. If you want to BUILD muscle, you HAVE to FEED IT. If your normal caloric intake without working out is say 2100 calories, up it to 2600 or so (depends on a LOT of factors). If you don't eat more, you won't gain much muscle unless you're already fat.

PM for more info, or even better, spend a WEEKEND reading this site and checking out his forums.

This is where I learned EVERYTHING.

www.johnstonefitness.com

Good Luck.

Guest Mr.T

Don't just eat stuff, eat protein. Lots and lots of it.

Just a thought...

Use something like Optimum Nutritions Whey Protein and a Creatine... maybe a multi vitamin

I only have time for working out 3 times a week, so I combine my muscle groups,

Day 1

Chest and Triceps

Day 2

Backs/Shoulders/Biceps

Day 3

Legs

Or however you want to break it down.

I think you got it wrong from the start Ryan.

If you want to build mass, lift 1 body part per day. Lift hard, heavy and with decent breaks between sets (2-3 minutes rest between sets). IE Do Chest on Monday, Bench Press, then Incline, maybe decline and maybe some dips. Tuesday do Biceps, Wednesday do Triceps, Thursday do Back, Friday do Shoulders and Legs.

You can do abs basically everyday after probably a month of working them out. Start with 50 a day. 5 sets of 10 in the morning for example. After that, do 200 a day.

You GOTTA eat right. If you want to BUILD muscle, you HAVE to FEED IT. If your normal caloric intake without working out is say 2100 calories, up it to 2600 or so (depends on a LOT of factors). If you don't eat more, you won't gain much muscle unless you're already fat.

PM for more info, or even better, spend a WEEKEND reading this site and checking out his forums.

This is where I learned EVERYTHING.

www.johnstonefitness.com

Good Luck.

Cool, thanks a lot. I'll check up on that site too. :mad:

At what age did you guys start, or would you recommend a kid start lifting?

My 13 (almost 14) year old wants to lift with the varsity football team this spring/summer. They've asked him to work out with them which has me :mad: cuz he's maybe about 120 lbs, fully clothed, with boots on, after a big meal.

He can lift a shiot load with his legs right now (a lot of BMX biking, skateboarding, and moshing) he was leg pressing something like 600lbs... I could be wrong there, but that's what his best friend told me. On the bench press ---- he can lift the bar plus maybe 20 pounds or so.

Just a thought...

Use something like Optimum Nutritions Whey Protein and a Creatine... maybe a multi vitamin

I only have time for working out 3 times a week, so I combine my muscle groups,

Day 1

Chest and Triceps

Day 2

Backs/Shoulders/Biceps

Day 3

Legs

Or however you want to break it down.

Ya I have some Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein now. I drink it 30 minutes after my workout.

lately I go with

mon: chest triceps abs

tue: back biceps

wed: abs, run a few miles

thu: legs calves

fri: chest shoulders abs

I just started truly working out about maybe 4-5 months ago, i really started bulking up using this routine, which i think is a bit unorthodox, but, it works if you have like 2-3 hours to work out a day, but, you can cut it to 1.5-2 hours if you speed it up, and cut a couple workouts out.

Monday: Chest/tricepts

Tuesday: Bicepts/Shoulders

Wendsday: Legs/Abs

Thurs: chest/tricepts

Fri: Bicepts/Shoulders

I SHOULD do abs more, which i will do in about a month of two. But, i would recommend building your upper body first, then do your abs, and obviously hit your legs consistently. Serisouly, Arnold says he hit his legs 3 times a week, i hit mine one and it freakin kills me. Abs are really hard to build, doing them once a week really doesn't do anything for them. Abs aren't relevent for gaining mass, but, with the extra weight gain, obviously you will need stronger abs to keep your posture.

I am just a begginner obviously, but, i have gained a lot of bulk using this routine. I also work out 2.5-3 hours a day, which use to wear me out good, but, i got use to it. I just eat ALOT of carbs and protein. If you are one a diet that limits carbs or protein, you deffinently want to get out of that, or you won't add any bulk

At what age did you guys start, or would you recommend a kid start lifting?

My 13 (almost 14) year old wants to lift with the varsity football team this spring/summer. They've asked him to work out with them which has me :mad: cuz he's maybe about 120 lbs, fully clothed, with boots on, after a big meal.

He can lift a shiot load with his legs right now (a lot of BMX biking, skateboarding, and moshing) he was leg pressing something like 600lbs... I could be wrong there, but that's what his best friend told me. On the bench press ---- he can lift the bar plus maybe 20 pounds or so.

I lifted with the varsity at that age, of couse, i was pushing 220 pounds. I see parents bring their kids to my gym, they can't be more than 11 or 12 years old, which i think is too young. I think 14 is about the minimum, just light stuff. He can start hitting it harder at about 16(which is when i started hitting it hard). Plus, it is a good learning experience for him, and it is better him doing that than playing PS2 all day.

Start when they hit puberty...

The muscle they put on in puberty is the base of what their body will remember for the rest of it's life. It's the best time to hit the weights and pack on muscle.

Shoot what do you think roid freaks are doing? Simulating another puberty is all. Causing their bodies to do exactly what it did in puberty... product massive amounts of hormone. Hence the mimic of teenage acne, moodwings, agressivness, and muscle growth.

Had a injury for awhile and just started back a little over a month ago but think I put on a few pounds of muscle already. Mostly in my chest and tri's. I workout 3 days a week for about a hour 15 minutes a time. Been eating alot of chicken for protien. Some of the can chicken breast have like 60 grams of protien a can.

The muscle they put on in puberty is the base of what their body will remember for the rest of it's life. It's the best time to hit the weights and pack on muscle.

If that's true, I'd keep him off weights. He'll be big in high school. Then he'll just be fat like 90% of America when he gets out of college.

Just get him some Pilates resistance bands.

If that's true, I'd keep him off weights. He'll be big in high school. Then he'll just be fat like 90% of America when he gets out of college.

Dude that's such a misnomer... when someone stops lifting the muscle does NOT turn to fat. Sure you see it all the time, but it's because big muscular guys take in LOTS of calories to maintain that bulk. When they stop lifting... most of them don't stop the calorie intake that went along with that muscle. Hence the focking balloon up. The longer they don't lift... the more that muscle antropies.. the less calorie buring machine they have. All those calories arn't burned, ie your a fat mother focker because you can't put down the pasta/meatballs.

Not if he gets the bug. I started when I was about 15 and have been going back to working out off and on now for twenty years.

Not if he gets the bug. I started when I was about 15 and have been going back to working out off and on now for twenty years.

Exxxactly... I'm a bigger built guy, but it's mostly genetics. I wish my ol' man would have started me seriously lifting as an 8th grader or freshman.

Train up a child in the way and when he's older, he will not depart from it. (not my quote)

But seriously... that's another reason I want my son to start lifting early/often.... as well as a form of martial arts. Unfortunately most of us will not play organized sports after highschool.. unless it's like softball or a city league basketball or something. But the guys who start martial arts when they're young... can do it and keep fit/disciplined for the REST of their lives. Something to keep active with forever... keep their cardio and flexability long after most of us are all stoved up on the recliner.

Exxxactly... I'm a bigger built guy, but it's mostly genetics. I wish my ol' man would have started me seriously lifting as an 8th grader or freshman.

Train up a child in the way and when he's older, he will not depart from it. (not my quote)

But seriously... that's another reason I want my son to start lifting early/often.... as well as a form of martial arts. Unfortunately most of us will not play organized sports after highschool.. unless it's like softball or a city league basketball or something. But the guys who start martial arts when they're young... can do it and keep fit/disciplined for the REST of their lives. Something to keep active with forever... keep their cardio and flexability long after most of us are all stoved up on the recliner.

Agree and good luck with getting him started. :mad:

Yeah, but what if DI's kid has ADD or something, and then he'll be too poor to afford a gym to work out in for the rest of his life.

I also like the martial arts idea. I think agility and flexibility are more valuable for your average healthy adult.

Yeah, but what if DI's kid has ADD or something, and then he'll be too poor to afford a gym to work out in for the rest of his life.

I also like the martial arts idea. I think agility and flexibility are more valuable for your average healthy adult.

He has to be 4 years old before most places around here will let him start... so.. it's 2 more years of waiting.. then dad will take him a couple few times a week if he wants. :thumbsup:

Plus... everyone knew that one kid in highschool who was a blackbelt or close or whatever. You didn't know if he was really a bad motherfrocker... but you never really wanted to try him. Heh... I'd like to know he could take care of himself later on down the road when some fool who doesn't know him gives him a go.

Shoot what do you think roid freaks are doing? Simulating another puberty is all. Causing their bodies to do exactly what it did in puberty... product massive amounts of hormone. Hence the mimic of teenage acne, moodwings, agressivness, and muscle growth.

Yep, roid rage is really just the teenage-like hormones running through their bodies. I don't know anyone who started at puberty who are really big. I started at about 13/14 for a summer, got a little bulked up, wasn't really serious about it. Of course, i was well past puberty by then, as i hit puberty when i was 7.