Sign in to follow this  
lindust20

Bengals sign quarterback

The Bengals ended their quarterback search with a bit of a surprising twist Wednesday night when the agent for Anthony Wright said his client had agreed in principle to a one-year deal.

The Bengals had pursued several potential starting quarterbacks and had negotiated frequently with Rams backup Jamie Martin. But Joel Segal, Wright's agent, said a deal could be signed as soon as Thursday.

Wright, who has started 14 games in a backup role for the Ravens during the last three seasons, threw for a career-high 1582 yards in seven starts this past season. When the Ravens won the AFC North title in 2003, Wright threw nine touchdown passes in seven starts.

Wright is the veteran the Bengals are turning to in case the backup quarterback has to play early in the season for the injured Carson Palmer. With 19 career starts (the other five with Dallas in 2000-01), Wright has three more starts than the Bengals current two backup quarterbacks, Doug Johnson (11) and Craig Krenzel (5).

huh..... :wub:

So what the Bengals are saying is if Palmer isn't ready at the first of the year their screwed. :wub:

Can't wait to hear a Bengal fan put a positive spin on this signing.

Can't wait to hear a Bengal fan put a positive spin on this signing.

Your schtick is getting old. It's like you take pleasure in jumping into Bengals threads and lobbing insults.

So what the Bengals are saying is if Palmer isn't ready at the first of the year their screwed. :wall:

I don't know. It is only Anthony Wright, but look who he's played with. CJ, TJ, Rudi and Perry could make any QB look above average.

I think the positive spin is the cap room they saved on this signing. I just hope they don't do something stupid like bring in Lavar Arrington with it. I would love to see them trade up to get Ngata.

Your schtick is getting old. It's like you take pleasure in jumping into Bengals threads and lobbing insults.

I don't know. It is only Anthony Wright, but look who he's played with. CJ, TJ, Rudi and Perry could make any QB look above average.

I had you in mind when I posted that. Of course I take pleasure in throwing insults around the AFC North. I know you are pretty objective when it comes to your Steeler analysis. :clap:

He does it in every thread really.

Depending how much time Palmer misses, Wright could be an interesting pickup for the early season....he NEVER had a WR in Baltimore worth throwing to, nor has Jamal been a particularly good receiver (though i still think he's better than he's been). In Cinci he's got targets up the wazoo in CJ, TJ Housh, Perry and more...I could see him putting up very solid numbers if he gets a few starts.

He does it in every thread really.

I rarely post in a thread if I agree. I post in threads where I disagree. And I really only lob insults at Cincy and Browns fans.

I had you in mind when I posted that. Of course I take pleasure in throwing insults around the AFC North. I know you are pretty objective when it comes to your Steeler analysis. :huh:

I can't remember the last time I insulted the Steelers. Other than focktard Porter, I have no problem with the team. It's the fans that suck.

I can't remember the last time I insulted the Steelers. Other than focktard Porter, I have no problem with the team. It's the fans that suck.

:wacko: that hurts

Depending how much time Palmer misses, Wright could be an interesting pickup for the early season....he NEVER had a WR in Baltimore worth throwing to, nor has Jamal been a particularly good receiver (though i still think he's better than he's been). In Cinci he's got targets up the wazoo in CJ, TJ Housh, Perry and more...I could see him putting up very solid numbers if he gets a few starts.

Exactly what I was thinking. This may not be a bad signing. That, and it seems to say that Palmer is doing well in his rehab. Ah yes, that and the money it saves in cap room (as someone already mentioned).

I like the Wright signing for 2 reasons:

1.) Strong arm, will be able to plan for the same game plan as a Carson offense as he can get the ball down field in the vertical passing game. Give him our weapons, and he will look much better then with Baltimore.

2.) Scrambling ability. When things breakdown, he will be able to run and make something happen. I like having a QB that can srcamble as a b/u.

He's not great, but no b/u is. That is why he's available. If he has to start say the first 4 games, I would say we go 2-2 to start, I'll take that. As it was also pointed out, this saves cap room as well.

From Lance McAllister at 1360 Homer:

Reaction to Chad and Anthony from my "Bengal Insider"

On Anthony Wright:

"I think all in all it was good signing. Anthony has some nice traits as a quarterback so long as you don't put the game on his shoulders. He moves well in the pocket and can make good throws. Is he a starter? No.

Is he worth what was paid for him? Oh hell yes! Would he be able to lead the team for four games if need be? Yes, he would. The team plans to come out running the ball down teams throats if need be in 2006 so the pressure on the quarterback will be a lot less. This is all moot anyway as Carson will be back at the latest for the second game of the season and Krenzel will be his primary backup. "

On Chad:

"Chad has done an outstanding job this offseason in reshaping his body and studying how to complete his game. The coaches saw this and passed word along so that the negotiations could proceed. Now maybe the fans who were grasping for straws with Chad Johnson locker room incident will realize nothing of substance occurred to affect the teams play. Jon Kitna was the problem not Chad and Jon has taken his problem to Detroit so we can all move on."

posted by lance1360homer at 6:01 PM

http://www.lance1360homer.com

I don't know who the "insider" is, but he told Lance a few months ago that Kitna was the locker room leak.

Still not sure I buy the Kitna "mole" story.

Me neither, Lance has been wrong on many occasions.