Sign in to follow this  
Electric Mayhem

Theeeeey're baaaaaack! O&A to return to public airwaves

Hey, wait one minute.... When Opie and Anthony went to XM, they were responsible for 35,000 new members. Let's not discount those.

LOL...and 1/2 of those subscribers probably cancelled their subscription once they found out they could listen for free on their Wilkes Barre radios.

Hey, wait one minute.... When Opie and Anthony went to XM, they were responsible for 35,000 new members. Let's not discount those.

I don't profess to know all the ins and outs about satellite, but from what I understand, those were some type of premium membership subcribers; however, people could still listen to their broadcast without paying the extra money but not as premium members. So reality was no one knew how many people really were listening. Just like right now, no one really knows how many people are listening to Stern. Those numbers are part of the Stern campaign to discredit Opie and Anthony. Both sides sling mud.

I did read that XM did some kind of subscriber survey, and O & A were the top personalities on XM. So who knows?

Do you disagree that Stern created the Genre? And I'm not talking about "Entertaining Talk". Gee, could you get any more general than that?

I said O&A were imitaing his art. I've heard of instances a while ago of actual "stealing" but I can't remember them now.

Whatever, it doesn't matter. I'm perfectly fine with listening to Howard for 5+ hours a day, uncensored or not watered down.

And yes, Sirius WILL eventually overtake XM in total subscriptions and when they do, I want a beer and an admission from you that Stern was particularly resonsible. :ninja:

No, it's clear that Stern was not the first "shock jock" on the radio, you can't argue that. Therefore he didn't create the genre. He was the most successful, I'll give you that, but that doesn't mean that everyone that has less success is imitating him.

We could all go 20 pages on taking a dump.

I agree and that would be entertaining and one of the main reasons I read this board ;)

This whole thread is more like arguing that midnight is a better shade of blue than royal :( only less interesting :thumbsup:

I agree and that would be entertaining and one of the main reasons I read this board ;)

This whole thread is more like arguing that midnight is a better shade of blue than royal :blink: only less interesting :lol:

I've always been fond of indigo.

I've always been fond of indigo.

you just like the Indigo Girls - fess up :huh:

what about aqua? would that be considered a green or a blue (or both :doublethumbsup: ) stimulating.

you just like the Indigo Girls - fess up :pointstosky:

what about aqua? would that be considered a green or a blue (or both :pointstosky: ) stimulating.

I think aqua is more in the blue family, while teal is in the green family.

I think aqua is more in the blue family, while teal is in the green family.

Interesting. I agree, teal is definitely green. However aqua is often used interchangeably with cyan, which has been defined as an equal mix of green and blue.

Should aqua be considered the Stern and O&A of colors? Is it green is it blue.... They're better, he's better.... ;) fascinating

Interesting. I agree, teal is definitely green. However aqua is often used interchangeably with cyan, which has been defined as an equal mix of green and blue.

Should aqua be considered the Stern and O&A of colors? Is it green is it blue.... They're better, he's better.... ;) fascinating

The strange thing is, the Aqua Net I used to use when I had feathered hair, came in a reddish can.

The strange thing is, the Aqua Net I used to use when I had feathered hair, came in a reddish can.

My sister used to use that hair spray, and I swear it had a green can. It might have been a different level. Did you use the light hold or extra-super hold?

Is this a replay of Stern today?

It's not the melodramatic Stern and it's not the incoherent babbling of O&A - but it is about as interesting ;)

My sister used to use that hair spray, and I swear it had a green can. It might have been a different level. Did you use the light hold or extra-super hold?

It's not the melodramatic Stern and it's not the incoherent babbling of O&A - but it is about as interesting :banana:

I was extra-super duper hold. I had the Ponch from CHiPs parted in the middle and feathered doo for a few years in the eighties. It stayed in place like it was a helmet, even during the most adverse of conditions. :mad:

:thumbsup: :(

No, it's clear that Stern was not the first "shock jock" on the radio, you can't argue that. Therefore he didn't create the genre. He was the most successful, I'll give you that, but that doesn't mean that everyone that has less success is imitating him.

He created the genre as we know it today. Period.

He created the genre as we know it today. Period.

That is overboard. He certainly made it popular and you could say that he was innovative in the area, but he was hardly "inventive".

I don't think that O&A are "revolutionary" either.

That is ridiculous.

How so?

Read this from Wikipedia:

Due in part to Howard Stern's historically combative relationship with WNBC, Stern has continued to blast Imus. Stern takes special offense to the developments in Imus' career that mimicked Stern's earlier moves; i.e., playing less music, creating a staff of adversarial characters that discuss their real lives, expanding the audience via syndication, and bringing TV cameras into the radio studio. Whether or not Imus's moves were influenced by Stern, there is no doubt that his WNBC show and style of comedy changed after Stern's arrival. However, it is important to note that Imus was an established radio personality well before Stern's success.

Read the bolded part. Stern revolutionized the talk radio industry, and it seems as if Imus simply followed...

How so?

Read this from Wikipedia:

Read the bolded part. Stern revolutionized the talk radio industry, and it seems as if Imus simply followed...

Look, this is ridiculous to argue, but you know what, I will give you that point. Stern did some great things for radio. Now the second part of the argument, since he was the first to play less music and build a cast, anybody else that does this now is stealing from him? :banana:

Nobody can argue that Stern has been the most successful "shock jock" in radio history and he really did a lot with the format, but can Stern fans just let it go already. Why do you have to put down anybody else who does radio by saying Stern did it first? :P

Look, this is ridiculous to argue, but you know what, I will give you that point. Stern did some great things for radio. Now the second part of the argument, since he was the first to play less music and build a cast, anybody else that does this now is stealing from him? :banana:

Nobody can argue that Stern has been the most successful "shock jock" in radio history and he really did a lot with the format, but can Stern fans just let it go already. Why do you have to put down anybody else who does radio by saying Stern did it first? :banana:

I'm glad to see you conceded.

:P

I'll officially let it go. Enjoy O&A!

I'll officially let it go. Enjoy O&A!

I will. Be sure to check out O&A on Fridays while your idol Howie is on vacation. Maybe you'll hear something good for a change.

they are on in Detroit now... and not very funny

on an AM channel to boot :cheers:

btw... Aqua Net comes in a purple and blue cans now (I'd call it a royal).

on an AM channel to boot :wub:

btw... Aqua Net comes in a purple and blue cans now (I'd call it a royal).

Awesome! I'm going back to feathered. :unsure:

Awesome! I'm going back to feathered. :wub:

:unsure:

I will. Be sure to check out O&A on Fridays while your idol Howie is on vacation. Maybe you'll hear something good for a change.

FYI: He isn't on vacation every friday...but maybe I'll give them another shot when he is on vacation. Who knows, maybe listening to interviews with Jay Mohr every other day wont' get too tiring.

Say hello to Stalker Patty for me!

Hey Gutter...check your gmail.

dude that's focking great. very happy for you :headbanger:

Maybe there is another for sale for me? :lol:

Even dumber considering that CBS is going just fire them in a few months when the FCC drops the hammer and CBS is going to reneg on the deal.

April 11, 2008

Opie & Anthony have signed a new contract extension with CBS Radio, who syndicate their 6-9 a.m. show on WXRK (92.3 K-Rock), WBCN/Boston and WKRK/Cleveland. Terms of the deal were not revealed. XM will continue to air O&A from 9-11 a.m.

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=653863

XM will continue to air O&A from 9-11 a.m.

...until after the merger when Howard kicks them off. :dunno:

Kidding. I think it would be good for the "new Sirius" to offer both shock jock platforms. I'm sure it would lead to an even greater rivalry, which in the end, is always good for radio business.

...until after the merger when Howard kicks them off. :dunno:

Kidding. I think it would be good for the "new Sirius" to offer both shock jock platforms. I'm sure it would lead to an even greater rivalry, which in the end, is always good for radio business.

Agreed.

Good for them. :dunno:

Glad to hear that CBS did not reneg on one of their deals. :lol:

I don't really care, just wanted to point out that you were wrong, and you're still dumb.

I don't really care, just wanted to point out that you were wrong, and you're still dumb.

I have been wrong more than once, assmunch. Why don't go drown yourself in a big vat of AIDS. TIA.

I have been wrong more than once, assmunch. Why don't go drown yourself in a big vat of AIDS. TIA.

It's puddle of AIDS, stupid.

I will probably give Opie and Anthony a listen.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, to listen to in Philadelphia in the morning. Suck Ass Roth was the most entertaining of all the crap. He sucked, but everything else sucks even more. All the morning shows in town are geared to entertain teenage girls. And there is no music to listen to either. Fock you, radio programmers.

Wow. April of 2006. Little did I know what a rabid fan of O&A I was going to turn into.

The show is genuinely funny without a massive ego hurting the dynamics, Hoo, Hoo. The rotation of comedians that sit in on the show is top notch. And Jimmy Norton is simply brilliant.

It is a puddle for people that we like. For a-holes like you, it is big VAT.

Who's this we? You got a retard sitting on your lap?

Who's this we? You got a retard sitting on your lap?

Well, it is your mother bouncing on my lap, so I don't think that you should be calling her a retard. We prefer to just call her a little slow.

Well, it is your mother bouncing on my lap, so I don't think that you should be calling her a retard. We prefer to just call her a little slow.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO