Sign in to follow this  
Sportslitter

Fred Taylor

I live in Jax, and not many of you outside of Florida might hear the news... but Fred is very unhappy with the organization. He isn't working out with the team, and about 2-3 weeks ago talked to the media and said things like "me first" "i'm going to take care of me" "and this is a business". The overall feel of his interview was not good... like something might be going on that we don't know about.

Could Fred Taylor be a June 1 cut, if the Jags draft a RB in round 1? What teams would be interested in him? Indy comes to mind

This is interesting. I was hoping to hear something out of Jax regarding the RB situation.

With the way that Jones played toward the end of last season and given Taylor's history with injuries, I would have assumed going into this year's training camp that Jax may give Jones a good look at starting RB over Taylor.

However, in light of what you have reported, then I would think that it would be a very good possibility that Taylor gets cut by or around June 1st.

I think if it did happen, that you would see Indy, NE, and maybe even Detroit has some interest in him. Just depends on what happens in the draft and if anyone loses a key RB between now and August. I could see him landing with someone who needs a good #2 man that could step in to start if needed. But because of his durability, I think his days of a big money contract are over.

I have G. Jones on my keeper team and was hoping this would happen! As long as the Jags don't draft a RB early, I think I may have a nice player on my hands!

I have G. Jones on my keeper team and was hoping this would happen! As long as the Jags don't draft a RB early, I think I may have a nice player on my hands!

APeraman will have a say in that backfield before all is said and done. I like his upside more than GJones.

APeraman will have a say in that backfield before all is said and done. I like his upside more than GJones.

Ask the Pittsburgh Steelers about that.....he ran through them like a bulldozer in a start last season....

Ask the Pittsburgh Steelers about that.....he ran through them like a bulldozer in a start last season....

And he looked like a chump in back to back games against Tennessee and Arizona.

interesting

i would have pegged Jacksonville to only draft a RB later on considering their situation with Pearman, Jones, Taylor, and Toefield

i still think if you take Taylor out of that equation that they still have a good backfield and wont need a RB in a high round but could still grab someone for depth

a 1st or 2nd round RB means that Taylor is gone for sure and that Jones isnt their answer

Pearman and Toefield are decent backs but i think they have drawbacks enough that the Jags arent happy with them as full time starters yet

o, btw, please stop talking about Taylor being injury prone

you may want to look at the fact that he played close to the past 4 full seasons

he has missed only 7 games(2 in '04, 5 in '05) so dont talk about him being injury prone.....

i consider that pretty good for a 30 year old back who had a bad first four seasons

o, btw, please stop talking about Taylor being injury prone

you may want to look at the fact that he played close to the past 4 full seasons

he has missed only 7 games(2 in '04, 5 in '05) so dont talk about him being injury prone.....

i consider that pretty good for a 30 year old back who had a bad first four seasons

Wait a minute, a RB that has only completed 2 full 16 game seasons out of a possible 8 is considered not injury prone?

He played in 14 games in 2004 and 11 games last season. Now he is 30/31 going into this season. Sorry, but I have concerns about his durability.

| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards	Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| 1998 jax |  15 |   264   1223	4.6   14 |	44	421   9.6	3 |
| 1999 jax |  10 |   159	732	4.6	6 |	10	 83   8.3	0 |
| 2000 jax |  13 |   292   1399	4.8   12 |	36	240   6.7	2 |
| 2001 jax |   2 |	30	116	3.9	0 |	 2	 13   6.5	0 |
| 2002 jax |  16 |   287   1314	4.6	8 |	49	408   8.3	0 |
| 2003 jax |  16 |   345   1572	4.6	6 |	48	370   7.7	1 |
| 2004 jax |  14 |   260   1224	4.7	2 |	36	345   9.6	1 |
| 2005 jax |  11 |   194	787	4.1	3 |	13	 83   6.4	0 |
|  TOTAL   |  97 |  1831   8367	4.6   51 |   238   1963   8.2	7 |

his first 4 seasons - 36 starts(of a possible 64)

last four seasons - 57 starts(of a possible 64)

hmmmm......

correct me if im wrong but, it seems as if he has been pretty decent as of late and in those last four he actually finished his only 2 full seasons

now, he has always had the fragile label but you would have thought that he would be getting more of his injuries as his career went on with age.... not so in this case

had he not completed a season then yes, i would say that the guy will never complete a season but IMO he shook the label a while ago when he had one of the longest consecutive starting streaks among RBs(at 46 games mind you)

a player starts 46 games in a row and hes still injury prone eh? what do you consider not IP? never missing a game in his career?

RB in round #1, not going to happen

http://www.jaguars.com/story/5095.asp

As far as a June 1 cut, not going to happen either.

He will play out his contract as the #1 RB or get traded.

Chances are we are looking at a RBBC this year in Jax

you probably know better than i but how can you say it is out of the question with White on that list?

it would definately make more sense for a trade to happen instead of a cut

im kind of curious what you mean there when you say he will be the #1 or be traded and then say its going to be a RBBC

comittee with whom?

you probably know better than i but how can you say it is out of the question with White on that list?

it would definately make more sense for a trade to happen instead of a cut

im kind of curious what you mean there when you say he will be the #1 or be traded and then say its going to be a RBBC

comittee with whom?

Taylor will get 70% of the carries if healthy this year, 90% between the 20s. Jones will get the short yardage, goalline and 4th quarter carries and Pearman will be 3rd and medium to long and a change of pace.

My guess is that Fred will have a monster year yardage wise and will look to move on next year to another team. Many of the quotes in the original post are taken from interveiws that were specifically talking about his future with the Jags, not specifically this year.

Taylor will get 70% of the carries if healthy this year, 90% between the 20s. Jones will get the short yardage, goalline and 4th quarter carries and Pearman will be 3rd and medium to long and a change of pace.

My guess is that Fred will have a monster year yardage wise and will look to move on next year to another team. Many of the quotes in the original post are taken from interveiws that were specifically talking about his future with the Jags, not specifically this year.

blech, just like last season....

looks like another back to stay away from

Why take the cap hit over 2 seasons? They're still more than 10 million under the cap. Why not take the entire hit this year and save cap room for FAs next year?

Pearman is a 3rd down scatback.

Toefield has a better shot at winning the job,

although Greg Jones is the obvious choice to take over.

Pearman is a 3rd down scatback.

Toefield has a better shot at winning the job,

although Greg Jones is the obvious choice to take over.

Interesting ... I recall the same thing (3rd down scatback) being said about guys like Tiki, WDunn, WParker, Westbrook ... and they seem to have adapted to "full time" status quite succcessfully.

This is not to say, nor did I say before, that APearman will be the man if Freddy is gone ... just that his role will increase greatly this year. Full time starter? No. But, enough of a presence/talent to siphon quality touches from the primary back ... whether that be Freddy, GJones or Toefield.

I claimed GJones off the WW last year, hoping to strike some gold in a run friendly offense (with a cake schedule). He was underwhelming, to say the least. Servicable, yes, but I think he didn't do nearly enough to warrant "can't miss" status if Taylor exits. Leftwich being out definitely hindered his success, but, still ... I saw no flash of greatness from him, regardless.

According to interviews and times union articles, Fred thinks he can play 5 more years, and be an effective back. I don't doubt his work ethic.. he will come to camp jacked and ready to go. He just isn't happy with all the love the Jags are giving stroud, henderson, mathis, and the other young bucks. Fred missed out on big time money. His draft money way stolen by Tank Black and his extension he signed in like 2002 was way below what he could have got because of injuries.

Fred never got the big paycheck, and no doubt wants to test the free agent waters. I hate saying it because he's always been my favorite player. But don't be shocked if he gets cut or given a reduced workload.

and 1 more thing...

go to www.jaguars.com

The feauture article talks about the hopes of a running back dropping to the jags spot at 28, DeAngelo Williams to be specific.

I have him on 2 dynasty rosters, what a mess. I couldnt give him away right now. I really dont like how Jax is treating him either, because the guy can still play at an elite level or close to it at least. Part of me would be happy if they cut him loose, but there really isnt anywhere else where he could start except maybe denver.

Sounds great if they draft a good rb. DeAngelo or Addai would look good in a Jags uniform.