Sign in to follow this  
famousb

Art Shell - what kind of offense does he run?

Is Shell more prone to that go-deep style that Al Davis loves, or does he do more of the short pass & move the chains style. Or is he more of a run then pass guy...

I'm trying to get a grip on what to expect from him as a head coach, and what he's going to do w/ that offense. And since he hasn't been a head coach for so long i can't seem to remember they way he used to coach...

It was easy to remember Gibbs' running preference w/ the Hogs, but OAK is out of my memory banks for some reason...

run

run

run

run

deep pass

run

run

deep pass

run

run

run

run

Lamont Jordan should e a top 10 fantasy producer - IMO-- and should be taken in the first 10 spots

TOP 5

LT, LJ, Alexander, Portis, Tiki

Then I would go Jordan or Edge at the #6 hole

Next 5 RBs

no particular order

Jordan, Edge Caddy, Rudi, Steve Jackson

run

run

run

run

deep pass

run

run

deep pass

run

run

run

run

Lamont Jordan should e a top 10 fantasy producer - IMO-- and should be taken in the first 10 spots

TOP 5

LT, LJ, Alexander, Portis, Tiki

Then I would go Jordan or Edge at the #6 hole

Next 5 RBs

no particular order

Jordan, Edge Caddy, Rudi, Steve Jackson

PPR Jordan is #6 or #7.

initially they had schroeder so yes, they ran a bit and then chucked it up to the likes of willie gault,

sweryn mervyn and ethan horton....

worked well in 1990 when they went 12-4...although ive deleted the championship game from my memory.

after a couple years they picked up hostetler and had a better team in my opinion...

more west coast-ish offense.... and a well balanced one...

overall, i would expect a old style offense cause thats what davis likes and also

im sure sheel and co will take a while to develop a more "intelligent" offense by todays standards...

LaMont Jordan was supposed to be a top producer with Norv Turner as well. Until the Raiders' defense can stop somebody and until the Raiders' o-line can block, he's not going to be a top anything. Last year he only carried 272-1025, but his fantasy numbers were saved by the ridiculous number of passes Kerry Collins threw his way (Jordan had 563 yards and 2 TDs receiving).

The Raiders threw about 55% of the time in the last Shell era. (so not exactly run run run run pass run run run run pass as posted by an earlier poster). The QBs had a pretty low completion percentage (50-55%). So yes, there will be long balls. I doubt Jordan will have anywhere near his 70 catches from last year. The most catches a back had in the Shell era was 47 by Harvey Williams in 1994. And Harvey had way better receiving skills than LaMont.

after a couple years they picked up hostetler and had a better team in my opinion...

more west coast-ish offense.... and a well balanced one...

Yeah. But Hoss' completion percentage didn't reach 60% until Mike White took over as head coach of the dink and dunk.

LaMont Jordan was supposed to be a top producer with Norv Turner as well. Until the Raiders' defense can stop somebody and until the Raiders' o-line can block, he's not going to be a top anything. Last year he only carried 272-1025, but his fantasy numbers were saved by the ridiculous number of passes Kerry Collins threw his way (Jordan had 563 yards and 2 TDs receiving).

The Raiders threw about 55% of the time in the last Shell era. (so not exactly run run run run pass run run run run pass as posted by an earlier poster). The QBs had a pretty low completion percentage (50-55%). So yes, there will be long balls. I doubt Jordan will have anywhere near his 70 catches from last year. The most catches a back had in the Shell era was 47 by Harvey Williams in 1994. And Harvey had way better receiving skills than LaMont.

Yeah. But Hoss' completion percentage didn't reach 60% until Mike White took over as head coach of the dink and dunk.

that's some good insight...

Brooks did dump off the ball a good amount to Deuce in NO, so that could translate into a fair amount of receptions out of the backfield for LaMont as well as long as the new O leaves that option open.

worked well in 1990 when they went 12-4...although ive deleted the championship game from my memory.

Wasn't that the game in which Schroeder threw 5 picks?

:evilgrin:

Schroeder

Don't say that name. Don't you EVER say that name!!! :banana:

Jay Schro .....

OK :banana:

Hehe, I'm a born-and-raised Houstonian and lifelong Houston sports fan. Y'all got it easy over in Oakland. I have to watch replays of "The Choke" vs. the Bills and the UH-NC State college hoops championship every year on ESPN and NFL network :banana:

Once they draft vinc yung it will be

run

run

run

run

run

run

run

run

run

run

injured :banana: - Aaron Brooks back in after his benching week 4

:banana: Swervyn Mervyn Fernandez :lol: there's a guy i haven't thought of in ages.

yes, Shell ran and then threw deep alot. but as noted that may have been because he had a strong arm QB in Schroeder and speedy deep threats like Swervyn Mervyn and Gault. etc

Does it matter? He is coaching the Raiders. They SUCK!!!!!!