Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

Marc Bulger's future in St. Louis?

I'm a little puzzled by all the talk of the Rams being so interested in Cutler. Do they no longer think Bulger can cut it as their starter? Do they think he's too fragile?

A lot of signs pointing to the Rams being serious about Cutler just as there were signs they were interested in Culpepper......

Anyone have any insight on the situation?

I heard that Bulger has only 2 years left on his contract and the Rams aren't sure they want to sign him to a big money deal. Their feeling is that a QB drafted Saturday would be ready when he leaves.

I heard that Bulger has only 2 years left on his contract and the Rams aren't sure they want to sign him to a big money deal. Their feeling is that a QB drafted Saturday would be ready when he leaves.

Kind of a dangerous stance to take, I think. Making Bulger kind of a lame duck QB.....not good for overall team chemistry and such.

It doesn't surprise me the Rams would consider looking to the future at the QB position. When you think about it, what has Bulger done that's been so impressive? He's put up numbers in a system that is meant to produce a lot through the air. He's had some pretty good WRs to help him produce those numbers as well. When it comes to wins and losses though, I don't think Bulger has struck anyone as the type of QB that will take the Rams on his back and lead them to victories in tough games.

It wouldn't hurt for the Rams to take a QB in the first. With Bulger around, there'd be no pressure to throw the rookie in there and in year two they can stick with Bulger unless the rookie beats him out. By year three (unless Bulger and the Rams have some succesful seasons) the guy they draft could be starting and you probably wouldn't have many people sad to see Bulger go.

I'm not saying he's a poor QB, but I don't think he's the type you want to stick by as your starter for too many years without seeing playoff victories at some point. They have a new coach in place too this season who may prefer to bring in a young QB of his own to take over his team.

So I guess Ryan Fitzpatrick is definitely not the answer? He could easily be starter material in two years' time.

i think there is a possibility that it is a smokescreen. the rams might hope to inflate the value of cutler enough that he gets taken in the top 10, hence leaving a better non-qb left at #11. this sounds a little far-fetched but it's possible.

on the other hand, bulger has had multiple throwing shoulder injuries the last few years so maybe he is closer to having his next hit be his last than the rams would like. he's a good qb but i don't know if he is really a 'franchise' qb. maybe it's going to be difficult to de-program the martz system from him and linehan might just want to mold 'his guy'.

i would bet against the rams taking a qb in the first round but it's more than possible.

Anyone have any insight on the situation?

Cutler will be drafted by AZ so it is a non-issue

St. Louis homer checking in again............

The new regime does not like Bulger. They (linehan) have openly discussed the need to bring in a young QB.

Bulger couldn't make it in training camps with 2 other teams. Martz worked his usual QB magic and made him a very respectable fantasy player. Linehan's offense is nothing like the offense Martz ran. Linehan does will not utilize 3 and 4 WR sets as often and his pre-snap antics will not include the shifting of the WR's.

I am very interested to see how Bulger fits in here now. He doesn't have a strong arm, and he's not the most accurate passer in the division.

His contract is good for 2 more years, but they could cut him after this season and suffer only a mild cap hit.

This being said, they are not taking a QB in the draft. The St. Louis media and fans would lynch Georgia (owner) for selecting a QB in round one. This team has needs at most every other position except QB and WR.

Kind of a dangerous stance to take, I think. Making Bulger kind of a lame duck QB.....not good for overall team chemistry and such.

*looks back a few years*

Warner/Bulger? :shocking:

So I guess Ryan Fitzpatrick is definitely not the answer? He could easily be starter material in two years' time.

What's with the extremes in your sentences? Definitely not the answer? Could easily be the starter? Never mind that you're contradicting yourself. What makes you so sure that these rumors are an indication that the Rams are writing off Fitzpatrick, and what makes you so sure he could be starter material?

Outside of that one game against the Texans, Fitz was horrible last season. Not to say he couldn't develop but man he sucked....killed the whole offense!

St. Louis homer checking in again............

The new regime does not like Bulger. They (linehan) have openly discussed the need to bring in a young QB.

Bulger couldn't make it in training camps with 2 other teams. Martz worked his usual QB magic and made him a very respectable fantasy player. Linehan's offense is nothing like the offense Martz ran. Linehan does will not utilize 3 and 4 WR sets as often and his pre-snap antics will not include the shifting of the WR's.

I am very interested to see how Bulger fits in here now. He doesn't have a strong arm, and he's not the most accurate passer in the division.

His contract is good for 2 more years, but they could cut him after this season and suffer only a mild cap hit.

This being said, they are not taking a QB in the draft. The St. Louis media and fans would lynch Georgia (owner) for selecting a QB in round one. This team has needs at most every other position except QB and WR.

I agree with this statement completely.

Take Bulger out of a Martz offense and he goes back to being a no-name bum. This season could get really ugly for the Rams passing game.

I agree with this statement completely.

Take Bulger out of a Martz offense and he goes back to being a no-name bum. This season could get really ugly for the Rams passing game.

I agree and disagree to some degree (as a Rams homer as well). I don't think Bulger was necessarily inaccurate, but made poor decisions. I think he can make all the throws if he recovers fully from his latest shoulder injury... which leads me to the biggest concern... he is a tad too small and was put in harms way far too much in Martz offense. I fear the mileage and injuries have caught up with him and while I expect Linehan to protect the QB better... I do not think that Bulger is a long term franchise QB with all of his injuries. So it would not surprise me if they did.

That being said... with some defensive studs on the board... I'd be surprised if the Rams picked anything but a defensive player with their first rounder.