Sign in to follow this  
Dogma

Rank the TEs coming out in this year's draft

OK. Vernon Davis goes first, but after that how would you rank the TEs in this year draft? List your rankings and what round you think they will go. Here's my take:

1. Vernon Davis (round 1)

2. Marcedes Lewis (mid-round 2)

3. Leonard Pope (mid-round 2)

4. Dominique Byrd (early round 3)

5. Anthony Fasano (late round 3)

6. Joe Klopfenstein (late round 3 - early round 4)

7. David Thomas (mid-round 4 - early round 5)

8. Tony Scheffler (mid-round 5)

Sleeper - late round or FA

Jai Lewis (the next Antonio Gates?)

OK. Vernon Davis goes first, but after that how would you rank the TEs in this year draft? List your rankings and what round you think they will go. Here's my take:

1. Vernon Davis (round 1)

2. Marcedes Lewis (mid-round 2)

3. Leonard Pope (mid-round 2)

4. Dominique Byrd (early round 3)

5. Anthony Fasano (late round 3)

6. Joe Klopfenstein (late round 3 - early round 4)

7. David Thomas (mid-round 4 - early round 5)

8. Tony Scheffler (mid-round 5)

Sleeper - late round or FA

Jai Lewis (the next Antonio Gates?)

Jai Lewis is a bowl of flab.....he is not nearly as fast as any top TE in the game...he has average to below average speed

Jai Lewis is a bowl of flab.....he is not nearly as fast as any top TE in the game...he has average to below average speed

mercedes will perform to his namsake in the nfl...

great performace...but due to his size will prob get dinged up a bit and take a few trips to the shop.

not someone you would off road with (i.e. smashmouth)...kinda gates-ish...

boy can catch and run no doubt

Lewis ran a 4.75 40-yard dash at a recent pro-day. Not bad for a big bowl of flab. He's definitely a project but worth a late round pick or FA signing.

mercedes will perform to his namsake in the nfl...

That's great, but his name is Marcedes, not Mercedes.

Tons of TE talent all through this draft.

Davis - Looks interesting, no?

Lewis/Pope/Klopfenstein - All look good, hard to rank, could be Klop is the best of the bunch. He seems to have less issues, hands are solid, character is solid, under the radar a little. I don't understand Pope's recent decline in many rankings. I like him, character seems great, but rumors circulating that he's lazy could be the problem. Lewis runs rounded routes and depends too much on his athleticism. He is not fast, but he fights for yards and breaks tackles. He's a scrappy blocker who deserves more credit in this area. A little lean in the upper body, but that can be developed. Excellent playmaker, makes tough catches in traffic regularly. May have some character issues, but I don't start rumors.

Byrd/Scheffler/Fasano - Also hard to rank. Byrd is a little soft and needs to tone up. Calls himself the fat Reggie Bush. Hardly, but he is pretty fast and has some wiggle for his size. Jermaine Wiggins with wheels? Maybe. Catches everything, smart route runner. Cannot pass protect much, but a very good run blocker. Underutilized at SC. Scheffler has the best measureables in this tier, big, fast, great hands, tough blocker, small schooler also under the radar, but do not panic and feel like your team reached if he goes before a few of these guys. Potential is very solid. Fasano is the most complete package of receiver and blocker at TE in the draft. Spending a year with Weiss has to go in his intangibles column. Nice looking prospect.

Thomas/Daniels/Day/Mills - Also hard to rank. Day is another playmaker like Lewis, but a little undersized to be great at that in the NFL. He's a good route runner, with solid hands, who could surprise. Injury history downgrades him a little, but a solid football player if he stays healthy and has the heart and determination to work for it. Thomas and Daniels are so similar. They're both faster than most of the guys discussed. They both have great hands. They both play very smart. They both run great routes. They're both game blockers. Daniels is a converted QB who really understands defenses and zones. Thomas was open every time Young needed him. Nice prospects. Mills = Chris Cooley. Great hands, great runner after the catch. He works hard, blocks hard, looks like a back with the ball in his hands, could end up being a real steal. Amazing production in college.

Deep sleepers:

Greg Estandia

Brandon Twito

I'll actually rank Pope #1, but that's just one man's opinion.

At 6'8", his 4.6 forty is nothing to sneeze at. He's going to be a matchup nightmare, mostly because of his size. He's pretty athletic and catches the ball well. I think he can be the best of the bunch.

Klopf will be a good NFL TE. Had a chance to see him alot in college. He's pretty well rounded.

I'll actually rank Pope #1, but that's just one man's opinion.

At 6'8", his 4.6 forty is nothing to sneeze at. He's going to be a matchup nightmare, mostly because of his size. He's pretty athletic and catches the ball well. I think he can be the best of the bunch.

I dont have him #1 BUT HES MY #2. as a jag fan, i hope we grab him in the late first at 28. We really need a TE

Also, the Vernon Davis rise just scares me. Sure, he's physically gifted, no question. But, so are a lot of guys in the NFL. Seems that more people took notice of the guy's physical attributes. The world is littered with physically talented players who washed out of the league. Certainly, the talent can't be denied. But I'm still not quite sold.

Also, the Vernon Davis rise just scares me. Sure, he's physically gifted, no question. But, so are a lot of guys in the NFL. Seems that more people took notice of the guy's physical attributes. The world is littered with physically talented players who washed out of the league. Certainly, the talent can't be denied. But I'm still not quite sold.

They were also taking note of his 4.41 speed and the films showing it taking 6-8 people to bring him down. The Maryland coaches were actually telling him to just go down to prevent people from taking cheap shots at him.

The biggest "knock" on Davis is that he really hasnt shown much in the way of blocking skills, and is more of a WR inside of a TE's body. It would not be outside the scope of reason to see him emerge as a WR in the NFL...