Sign in to follow this  
adam smitty

Draft Discussion rounds 1-3

I'm gonna head out for a while...if anything comes up and you need to get a hold of me call my cell 715-577-4123

I was figured/hoped Tomlinson would go #1. Very easy choice with reception points. The fact that he will go #1 was the reason I traded out of #2. If I thought I had any shot at getting him, I wouldn't have traded down.

Curious - what did you see in Portis over the other obvious backs?

I had them all ranked about the same, except for Tomlinson.

My pick is in guys, went with Clinton Portis who I think is the consensus pick here. There's actually one guy that was available(other than Holmes) who I had ranked about even with him, but Portis is younger and if he ever plays all 16 games in a season he'll be a threat for 1700 yards or more rushing everytime.

He also had about 35 receptions last season in 13 games so I figure he could get about 45-55 in a full season depending on how Gibbs uses him in the passing game.

When I traded up to #2 I was hoping LT2 would slip but I wasn't banking on it. I think the top 3 RB's are in a tier above even the guys like Alexander and Deuce and so on.

BTW, LT2 was clearly the right choice at #1, I would've loved it if I had gotten him at #2.

---> Also Smitty, don't be surprised if I hve to make some picks here at some point, my computer sucks ass and it took about 5-10 minutes just for the pages to load up and making my pick. It might move quicker if I stayed on after it loaded but if we ever did a few quick rounds with everyone you'd most likely stall for about 7-15 minutes eveytime my pick came up because my computer is so damn slow. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Curious - what did you see in Portis over the other obvious backs?

I had them all ranked about the same, except for Tomlinson.

I had LT2 above everybody else also, after that I had Portis and another RB ranked about the same and than I felt there was a drop off.

In Gibbs' offense Portis will be a threat to run for 100 yards every game and Gibbs' will also let Portis run it in at the goaline instead of passing it 1/2 the time like Shannahan did. When you consider how many TD's Portis had in Denver while losing some goal line carries it's I expect him to easily have 14 this season and he could possibly have as high as 18-20.

The other thing is that Portis hasn't played 16 games in a season and yet he has still put up amzing numbers. If you project his stats over 16 games he' b around 1800 or more yards rushing everytime and 16-18 TD's.

I'm not saying I expect 1800 rushing, but I feel he it's a very real possibility with him every season. He's also a better receiver than some realize and the fact that he's the youngest of the stud RB's played into a little bit as well.

How would you guys rate the Washinton offensive line? Seems like both Betts and Canidate ran decently behind that line, but it sure doesnt compare to the Denver line that Portis was successful with.

How would you guys rate the Washinton offensive line? Seems like both Betts and Canidate ran decently behind that line, but it sure doesnt compare to the Denver line that Portis was successful with.

That was my biggest concern with taking Portis here, but I got to see the Redskins play quite a few times last year and their run blocking actually looked pretty good. I also know Joe Gibbs brought the same O-line coach to his staff that he had when the 'Skins had "The Hogs" up front and I have to believe his presence alone will make the Skins line better this season.

I'm glad I didn't have to make a decision regarding Portis. As much as I was afraid of taking him because of uncertainty surrounding the Washington situation, he is too talented to just pass up if he's available.

Like I said, I'm glad he didn't fall to #4. That's a decision I didn't want to have to make. That being said, I probably would have taken him.

I'm glad I didn't have to make a decision regarding Portis. As much as I was afraid of taking him because of uncertainty surrounding the Washington situation, he is too talented to just pass up if he's available.

Like I said, I'm glad he didn't fall to #4. That's a decision I didn't want to have to make. That being said, I probably would have taken him.

That's exactly how i looked at it when i owned the #4 except i wouldnt have taken him :thumbsup:

I suspect we could all script the first 7 picks and hit on all but maybe one. It's just a matter of preference. I don't think I would have taken Portis #2, but that's just me and I sure can't make an arguement it was a "bad move".

1.4 Ahman Green

Pretty obvious choice. Catches a lot of balls and is relatively young.

Ahman is the only back I would've taken over Portis. The only reason I didn't is because Portis is younger and Davenport may steal more of Green's carries this season: Not enough to hurt his production, but it's a Dynasty League and as Green gets older Davenport may take more and more each season.

If Deuce starts scoring 12-15 TDs every season he's a great choice, even if he stays around 9 he's a nice pick, but I still would've grabbed Green ahead of him.

First Surprise - Randy Moss. Debated a LONG time over this. I was dead set on taking Shaun Alexander, but Moss was the 4th highest scoring player under our point system last year. I was afraid when I pick again in the 4th round, there won't be a receiver anywhere near the caliber I was wanting.

Probably a surprise, but I couldn't pass up the fact that we get points for receptions and I have a top 3 running back and the top receiver in the league.

Some people seem to be low on Alexander but I've always though of him as being sandwich right in between the top guys (LT, Portis, Deuce, etc) and the next tier of RBs. He is still young and has produced great numbers over the past 3 years. I also think Seattle is on the upswing in terms of potential which will only help him.

He also has no question marks concerning his near term future like some of the other available players.

Some people seem to be low on Alexander but I've always though of him as being sandwich right in between the top guys (LT, Portis, Deuce, etc) and the next tier of RBs. He is still young and has produced great numbers over the past 3 years. I also think Seattle is on the upswing in terms of potential which will only help him.

He also has no question marks concerning his near term future like some of the other available players.

He was my original choice over Moss. It was gonna be either Moss or Alexander.

Ricky Williams, not bad. Thought there could have been about 3 guys you would consider at that 8th pick. I am going to pause the draft for now until monday or Bezzerck responds-whichever happens first.

God help me, I hope I know what I'm doing passing on a quality running back!!!!!!!!

I did it picking Moss over Alexander, but I wouldn't have had I not had Ahman Green.

Not sure where you pick and I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but there will be some good running backs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds available. Here before too long there will be a run on receivers and QBs and some running backs will fall.

I'm gonna take off for a while, if Doc picks and it doesnt look like I'm around shoot me an email because I have Shuguar's next pick at 1.11.

wow,,,,,,,,,,DD at 1.12 kind of surprised me a little!!!

DD's stock seems to be soaring. IMO he could have gone in the 2nd round though. As texas gets better so will Davis.

Henry. Great pick! He's a guy i have been trying to trade up for and just praying he falls to wherever I pick. Good long-term value

ya, he was on my short list too.

rb list is growing shorter by the pick.

remember guys,,,,,,,,,,WE START OTHER POSITIONS TOO!!!!!!!!

LOL

Henry. Great pick! He's a guy i have been trying to trade up for and just praying he falls to wherever I pick. Good long-term value

Thanks Adam. I was targeting Henry and DD with my two picks. Very disappointed DD was taken. :)

Henry and DD would have been a nice duo to start a dynasty league with no doubt. I'd take em in a heart beat for starters.

we're moving again. :thumbsup:

Barlow = risk/reward pick imo.

I'm just not a believer.

I like Barlow, but without Garcia and/or Owens,,,,,,,,,SF don't have many weapons. Barlow better like being gang tackled for a couple of years.

Sign in to follow this