Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

RB: Deepest Pool Ever

I was looking at a poster's top twenty RBs when it struck me how many decent RBs didn't even make his list....or my list.

The RB position has never looked so deep. I think it's a year where taking a WR in round two is a great idea in a redraft as you're still going to get some very good RBs in rounds 3 & 4.

Just my initial take.......

I am hoping many people in my 12 team re draft think and see the same as you!

Can I play in your league. Wouldn't be a fantasy football forum without that comment. Continue on . . .

I've felt that for the last couple years, Fumble. I put a lot of emphasis on getting a stud WR while guys continue to take marginally value added RB. Then when they are all on a big WR run later, some good value RBs will tend to fall through the cracks.

I've felt that for the last couple years, Fumble. I put a lot of emphasis on getting a stud WR while guys continue to take marginally value added RB. Then when they are all on a big WR run later, some good value RBs will tend to fall through the cracks.

Couldn't agree more. The difference between RB #11 and RB#23 for example appears slim in terms of value whereas the difference between WR#2 and #8 is more substantial.

And, you're right about the last few years. Many more runners are going over 1,000 yards on the season. It's just a deeper position in terms of the quality of the starting RBs.

I've done this the past two years with lots of success. I take the best RB that I can in the first, the best WR I can in the 2nd, then look for RB value in the 3rd. Having a stud WR can really help your team out and give you an advantage of actually having a WR you can count on from week to week.

a list of RBs for the 2006 FFball season:

this is just a rough"tiering" to get an idea of how deep the pool is.

Did I leave anyone off this list?

Tier 1:

Alexander, Shaun

Johnson, Larry

Tomlinson, LaDainian

Tier 2:

Barber, Tiki

James, Edgerrin

Portis, Clinton

Tier 3:

Johnson, Rudi

Jordan, LaMont

Davis, Domanick

Jackson, Steven

Dunn, Warrick

Williams, Cadillac

Westbrook, Brian

Brown, Ronnie

Parker, Willie

Lewis, Jamal

McGahee, Willis

Curtis Martin

Tier 4:

Chester Taylor

Dillon, Corey

Anderson, Mike

Droughns, Reuben

Kevin Jones

Taylor, Fred

Deuce McAllister

Bell, Tatum

Tier 5:

TJ Duckett

Ahman Green

Gado, Samkon

Jones, Julius

Marion Barber

Thomas Jones

Cedric Benson

Brown, Chris

Antowain Smith

Kevan Barlow

Frank Gore

Foster, DeShaun

Greg Jones

Mewelde Moore

Chris Perry

Rookies:

Reggie Bush

Laurence Maroney

DeAngelo Williams

Joseph Addai

Lendale White

Ron Dayne?

Dominic Rhodes?

Addai is going to be over Rhodes soon enough. Rhodes will be the 3rd down back, and used to spell Addai.

If Portis is in Tier 2, so is Rudi.

I understand that the Thomas Jones/Cedric Benson combo reduces their inidvidual values, but tier 5 is too low for them. The Bears are a running team, have a very good OL and they score most of their Tds on runs.

With a great defense, they will continue to pound the ball, and with a better QB situation, there will be more TD opportunities in the red zone.

You can move D Foster down on your list. There is a new man in Carolina ready to tear the league up.

Is it that the RBs are deeper, or is it just perceived that way because the WRs are crap after the top 10 or so?

And I use the word 'crap' generally...

Tier 4:

Chester Taylor

I think you're going to miss the boat on this guy.

Is it that the RBs are deeper, or is it just perceived that way because the WRs are crap after the top 10 or so?

And I use the word 'crap' generally...

:unsure:

This is the final WR rankings from my league last year.

I'm not gonna' rank or tier them because the knuckleheads will turn this into a rankings thread.

I will simply BOLD a few of the guys that will likely be drafted higher than they finished last year.

Smith, Steve

Moss, Santana

Fitzgerald, Larry

Ward, Hines

Boldin, Anquan

Johnson, Chad

Harrison, Marvin

Holt, Torry

Galloway, Joey

Chambers, Chris

Burress, Plaxico

Glenn, Terry

Driver, Donald

Smith, Rod

Moss, Randy

Kennison, Eddie

Houshmandzadeh, T.J.

Smith, Jimmy

Wayne, Reggie

Branch, Deion

Jurevicius, Joe

McCardell, Keenan

Stallworth, Donte

Owens, Terrell

Porter, Jerry

Mason, Derrick

Williams, Roy

Bryant, Antonio

Evans, Lee

Jackson, Darrell

Wilford, Ernest

Curtis, Kevin

Johnson, Keyshawn

Lloyd, Brandon

Moulds, Eric

Toomer, Amani

Coles, Laveranues

Givens, David

Lelie, Ashley

Engram, Bobby

Muhammad, Muhsin

Bennett, Drew

Booker, Marty

Parker, Eric

El, Antwaan Randle

Johnson, Andre WR

Jones, Matt

McCareins, Justin

Finneran, Brian

Robinson, Marcus

Henry, Chris

Chatman, Antonio

Gabriel, Doug

Taylor, Travis

Wilson, Cedrick

Bradford, Core

Brown, Reggie

Edwards, Braylon

Proehl, Ricky

Horn, Joe

Mark Clayton

Isaac Bruce

Az Hakim

Troy Brown

Michael Jenkins

Brandon Stokely

Greg Lewis

Jabar Gafney

Koren Robinson

Javon Walker

Santonio Holmes ®

Chad Jackson ®

Moss, Sinorice ®

Jennings, Greg ®

Hester, Devin ®

is it that much thinner/worse than years past?

Hey Fumble, which league are you and I both in, I forget..... :unsure:

Ratface must be writing their press reports.... :mellow:

Addai is going to be over Rhodes soon enough. Rhodes will be the 3rd down back, and used to spell Addai.

If Portis is in Tier 2, so is Rudi.

-- Addai & Rhodes to Share Time --

Mon May 1, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The Indianapolis Star reports the Colts' offense probably will remain a one-back attack in 2006, with a twist. RB Joseph Addai, the 30th overall pick in the NFL draft, is expected to share time with veteran RB Dominic Rhodes. "At least that's the way we see it now,'' Colts president Bill Polian said Sunday. "You wouldn't expect a rookie to step right into a team like this. (With) a team that has been winning big, you'd expect him to play some, but not have to carry the whole load.''

I am not convinced of you Addai prediction, the load is on Manning this year and no one else.

-- Addai & Rhodes to Share Time --

Mon May 1, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The Indianapolis Star reports the Colts' offense probably will remain a one-back attack in 2006, with a twist. RB Joseph Addai, the 30th overall pick in the NFL draft, is expected to share time with veteran RB Dominic Rhodes. "At least that's the way we see it now,'' Colts president Bill Polian said Sunday. "You wouldn't expect a rookie to step right into a team like this. (With) a team that has been winning big, you'd expect him to play some, but not have to carry the whole load.''

I am not convinced of you Addai prediction, the load is on Manning this year and no one else.

I've watched every game Rhodes has played in. He looked good his rookie year, but then he had some injury problems and hasn't been the same every since. He gets tackled by first contact, insn't very patient, and doesn't hold onto the ball well.

Don't listen to that garbage they sell you, once Addai learns all of Mannings audibles and all of the blocking schemes he is going to be the man.

I think you're going to miss the boat on this guy.

:mellow: I agree. I think Chester Taylor could be a top 10 RB this season, especially in leagues that give points for receptions. The only problem is that because quite a few people think that way, you may have to reach and grab him early if you want him.....

:mellow: I agree. I think Chester Taylor could be a top 10 RB this season, especially in leagues that give points for receptions. The only problem is that because quite a few people think that way, you may have to reach and grab him early if you want him.....

I am not sure he is truly "reach" material. I like to let others waste high picks on reaches. I have been known as a "reacher" of sorts, but rounsd 1-4 are not reaching rounds IMHO

I am not sure he is truly "reach" material. I like to let others waste high picks on reaches. I have been known as a "reacher" of sorts, but rounsd 1-4 are not reaching rounds IMHO

It's a tough call because there is going to be value RBs in rounds 4 and 5 and Talyor will most likely go somewhere between very late 2nd or 3rd round because every league will have a guy or two that really likes him, ie, L. Jordan last season. I wouldn't bypass a stud WR for him but if most of the top WRs are off the board, and you only have one RB, you have to consider Talyor in round 3

It's a tough call because there is going to be value RBs in rounds 4 and 5 and Talyor will most likely go somewhere between very late 2nd or 3rd round because every league will have a guy or two that really likes him, ie, L. Jordan last season. I wouldn't bypass a stud WR for him but if most of the top WRs are off the board, and you only have one RB, you have to consider Talyor in round 3

it will also depend on the type of league.

Total redraft and you are likely going RB-RB through 1 and 2, then you speculate on RB's later in rounds 6 and 7. Teams that reach on WR's in round 1 will likely be candidates for taylor in 3 or 4 as they scramble for RB talent.

Keeper leagues could see taylor going in round 2, possibly even 1 depending on how many keepers....