Sign in to follow this  
ROBOKOP

Words of Brett Favre

"I’m not going to sit there and throw three-yard checkdowns and let the clock run down. I’m going to take chances. There are people who are going to agree with that and people who don’t agree with it, but I really don’t care."

wonder if he's cleared that flight plan with mccarthy. probably not. he's nearly as old is mccarthy is...can't see him listening to him much.

he might have also momentarily forgot that walker was replaced with gardner and boreigter.

Good comeback :thumbsup:

I think youre just scared of what he has potential to do on an improved team.

Good comeback :thumbsup:

how so on offense? the packers have an alledged decent draft, woodson, pickett...mostly defensive additions. o-line is still a big question mark. no walker. new coach. new system. new wrs (aside from walker).

I hope he throws a lot of those chances in Driver's direction! :thumbsup:

I really just wanted to use the banana, I haven't yet this season...

Sounds more about his competitiveness than his willingness to be careless. You could paraphrase: "Who cares about my stats? I'm going to try to win games instead of going for the gaudy passer rating." I like it. I will also say he needs to listen to his coach if they disagree--as green as McCarthy might be, he holds rank.

"I’m not going to sit there and throw three-yard checkdowns and let the clock run down. I’m going to take chances. There are people who are going to agree with that and people who don’t agree with it, but I really don’t care."

mccarthy is of the westcoast pedigree of mooch and moronweg. you're dard tootin, brett, you'll be checkin down if you're following mccarthy's orders.

how so on offense? the packers have an alledged decent draft, woodson, pickett...mostly defensive additions. o-line is still a big question mark. no walker. new coach. new system. new wrs (aside from walker).

The biggest thing they will have is their health. Their o-line is still unstable this early, but they will definately field a better line once the season starts. The loss of Javon Walker is immense, but I think we will have some decent receivers out there. Jennings looks to step up and may ride all the way to #3 on opening day. Its not as much as a weakness as everyone thinks. Remember what this team was in 2004 before the rash of injuries and losing our line. 10-6. I still dont want any QB out there but Favre, his flaws and all. He is a great competitor and I stand by him whether he is throwing up and throwing a 99 yard touchdown or throwing 5 ints in one game. Sure I will yell at the TV and call him a moron; but his is the soul of the Packers. I as well as every Packer fan out there is excited about 2006 because our defense looks pretty intimidating and has the potential to be great, giving us an edge in close games. I would have liked some more on offense and would anticipate another veteran reciever to compete potentially after June 1st. I am a little uncomfortable with the RB situation as Green and Davenpoop are still recovering and it is unknown what their football effectiveness is. I have a lot of hope for this team though and I do not see a 4-12 team; and those that do will :thumbsup: when the Packers show what they are really made of this year.

The biggest thing they will have is their health. Their o-line is still unstable this early, but they will definately field a better line once the season starts. The loss of Javon Walker is immense, but I think we will have some decent receivers out there. Jennings looks to step up and may ride all the way to #3 on opening day. Its not as much as a weakness as everyone thinks. Remember what this team was in 2004 before the rash of injuries and losing our line. 10-6. I still dont want any QB out there but Favre, his flaws and all. He is a great competitor and I stand by him whether he is throwing up and throwing a 99 yard touchdown or throwing 5 ints in one game. Sure I will yell at the TV and call him a moron; but his is the soul of the Packers. I as well as every Packer fan out there is excited about 2006 because our defense looks pretty intimidating and has the potential to be great, giving us an edge in close games. I would have liked some more on offense and would anticipate another veteran reciever to compete potentially after June 1st. I am a little uncomfortable with the RB situation as Green and Davenpoop are still recovering and it is unknown what their football effectiveness is. I have a lot of hope for this team though and I do not see a 4-12 team; and those that do will :thumbsup: when the Packers show what they are really made of this year.

jennings may or may not turn out to be a good nfl wr, but regardless: he's a rookie wr coming from the mac conference. it's unrealistic to count on him in any meaningful capacity this year. there is no wr on the packers roster that is capable of consistently bringing down favre's jump balls when he heaves it into coverage.

the personnel fit a much more conservatively-run offense than brett showed the patience for last year. if he comes into camp this year flinging the ball around with this bunch and taking big chances...yikes.

It all depends on the o-line this year. If it' improved then the Packers offense will be better. If it's the same then we're screwed.

We have to be able to run the ball and protect Favre. If we can do that then I think the Packers have a realistic shot at winning the division.

Good comeback :lol:

If you turn back the clock 3 or 4 years then yes. GB had a phenominal O in the early 00's. One of the best lines, great RB in Green, solid WRs and a decent TE.

Today, the line is a shell of its former self. Green is older and coming off injury, Franks is older and largely ineffective between the 20s, Walker is gone leaving Driver as the only threat to worry about and Bret himself has declined to some degree and is more non chalant about just tossing it up there.

He is still capable of the big throw to win a game, but they seem to happen less and less these days, being replaced by the wounded duck INT into double coverage.

Overall, I see the D as definately improved, but on offence, it looks like status quo at best. What will be interesting this year to watch is whether McCarthy reigns him in for the better of the team. He needs to keep his turnovers under 15 if they want to be successful. Will there be a war of wills between coach and qb or will McCarthy just let Bret do what he wants?

Overall, I see the D as definately improved, but on offence, it looks like status quo at best.

Sounds a lot like the Bears. :lol:

"Me, me, me, me, I, I, I, I, me, me, me, me, I, I, I, I, ..."

wonder if he's cleared that flight plan with mccarthy. probably not. he's nearly as old is mccarthy is...can't see him listening to him much.

he might have also momentarily forgot that walker was replaced with gardner and boreigter.

Walker was never there.

I know you're not that dumb because Walker went down in the first half of the first game of the year against Detroit. You hadn't disappeared yet at that point, so I know you know this.

Rather,Gardner and Boreighter, among others, will be replacing Chatman and whatever World League receiver they were lining up last year.

HTH!! :lol:

again.

Walker was never there last year. For a guy who follows the Packers obsessively, you'd think that you would know this.

I am counting on the receivers being better this year. How could they be worse? How much.... we'll see...

I'm counting on the O-line being better. These draft picks will be an uprgrade over Klemm and Whitaker. How could they be worse?

Green and Davenport are an upgrade over a 5th-stringer who had never played football before.

That's 3 upgrades. Add 5 significant upgrades to a top-10 defense and you have a scenario were Favre is not always chucking the ball around coming from behind with the defense coming after him knowing what he has to pass.

We'll see...

Sounds a lot like the Bears. :lol:

True. :thumbsup:

On O, the only improvement is the hope for the healthy return of a few players.

It all depends on the o-line this year. If it' improved then the Packers offense will be better. If it's the same then we're screwed.

We have to be able to run the ball and protect Favre. If we can do that then I think the Packers have a realistic shot at winning the division.

that's a nice thought, but i saw favre commit a lot of un-rushed and un-forced errors last year.

Walker was never there.

I know you're not that dumb because Walker went down in the first half of the first game of the year against Detroit. You hadn't disappeared yet at that point, so I know you know this.

Rather,Gardner and Boreighter, among others, will be replacing Chatman and whatever World League receiver they were lining up last year.

HTH!! :thumbsup:

again.

Walker was never there last year. For a guy who follows the Packers obsessively, you'd think that you would know this.

I am counting on the receivers being better this year. How could they be worse? How much.... we'll see...

I'm counting on the O-line being better. These draft picks will be an uprgrade over Klemm and Whitaker. How could they be worse?

Green and Davenport are an upgrade over a 5th-stringer who had never played football before.

That's 3 upgrades. Add 5 significant upgrades to a top-10 defense and you have a scenario were Favre is not always chucking the ball around coming from behind with the defense coming after him knowing what he has to pass.

We'll see...

um, i know walker wasn't there last year. and he's not there again this year. my point. get it?

hth :lol:

oh, and bates is also gone ;)

Walker was never there.

HTH!! :thumbsup:

again.

We'll see...

I'll give you the RB improvement, but did Gado really hurt you that much? Sure he was a 5th string, but he did a decent job all things considered. If he started all year, he would have had around 1200 yds, 4.1 avg and 10 TDs or so.

As for the oline and wrs, you say can they be worse? Sure they can. They may be improved, but mid rounders stepping in and improving is a bit of a long shot. The interior line also has the issue of facing a steady diet of all pro DTs in the division. The matchups are tough.

With WRs, the key guy that needs to step up is Gardner. Boerigter is a long shot to even stay healthy and Jennings is a rook, so you can hope, but not expect much from him for this year. Gardner is the guy that needs to take the pressure off of Driver. If not, teams will stack the run and pin their ears back on blitzes.

Overall, the D should keep the scores lower which is probably the biggest boost for the offence. The division qbs are less than spectacular, so we should have alot of low scoring games this year. For all 4 teams, the defence is stronger than the offence.

that's a nice thought, but i saw favre commit a lot of un-rushed and un-forced errors last year.

um, i know walker wasn't there last year. and he's not there again this year. my point. get it?

hth :thumbsup:

Does Farve staying and playing translate into more wins for the Pack, or would they benefit from starting Rodgers, in the win column. Seriously????? No spin, no rhetoric :lol:

Does Farve staying and playing translate into more wins for the Pack, or would they benefit from starting Rodgers, in the win column. Seriously????? No spin, no rhetoric :thumbsup:

it helps them this year, but hurts them long term. They need to see Rodgers on the field in order to determine if he is the long term answer.

For this year though, it makes GB competitive.

hth :thumbsup:

It doesn't help :lol:

Read through the thread and stop acting stupid.

You repeatedly said the Packers are losing Walker this year when you full well know that they never had him.

You're saying the WR corps will be worse when, in fact, they will be better. Hopefully much better.

Bates was losing a step :D

it helps them this year, but hurts them long term. They need to see Rodgers on the field in order to determine if he is the long term answer.

For this year though, it makes GB competitive.

Which is the point I am trying to get swamp to see. The rodgers pick last year was a real gaff!!! His falling to them was the worst case scenario for the packs draft. they should have drafted def with the first pick and held out for frye later. I have nuch more faith in him then Rodgers. With the current state of the NFL, it is always the present, and that can change in the blink of an eye. Free agency and parity has changed the equation.

I'll give you the RB improvement, but did Gado really hurt you that much? Sure he was a 5th string, but he did a decent job all things considered. If he started all year, he would have had around 1200 yds, 4.1 avg and 10 TDs or so.

As for the oline and wrs, you say can they be worse? Sure they can. They may be improved, but mid rounders stepping in and improving is a bit of a long shot. The interior line also has the issue of facing a steady diet of all pro DTs in the division. The matchups are tough.

With WRs, the key guy that needs to step up is Gardner. Boerigter is a long shot to even stay healthy and Jennings is a rook, so you can hope, but not expect much from him for this year. Gardner is the guy that needs to take the pressure off of Driver. If not, teams will stack the run and pin their ears back on blitzes.

Overall, the D should keep the scores lower which is probably the biggest boost for the offence. The division qbs are less than spectacular, so we should have alot of low scoring games this year. For all 4 teams, the defence is stronger than the offence.

I'm not slamming Gado. I'm just saying the position will be better. Either through the improvement of an extremely green rookie or the return of a couple guys who combined for 2600 yards a couple seasons ago when healthy. You live in your own world if you can't see the reason for optimism there.

WR: They had Chatman and some world-league receiver with dreadlocks lining up towards the end of last year. You live in your own world if you don't think Gardner, Boerigter, or a talented high draft pick can't improve that spot.

OL: Whitaker and Klemm were terrible last year. You live in your own world if you don't think very talented 2nd round pick (or anybody, for that matter) could help improve that area.

I don't know what mid-rounders you are speaking of. I think I've pointed toward a second-rounder and a third.

The DT matchups are tough; but they aren't getting any tougher than they were last year. It's a nice tidbit, but it doesn't contradict my point

Hawk, Woodson, and Pickett should make an impact right away on a defense that despite the terrible offense, played very well last year.

HTH! :thumbsup:

ETA: What amazes me is that you guys just went through a scenario like this a year ago. How can you be so thick-skulled about the Packers chances for improvement?

there is no wr on the packers roster that is capable of consistently bringing down favre's jump balls when he heaves it into coverage.

Uhm, Driver was a 7' high jumper in college; he can go up and get them with the best of 'em! You've got to admit Rod Gardner is an intriging prospect. As a first round pick in Washington, the man never had anybody consistent to throw him passes, yet he had some "moments". Last year in Carolina was "lost"; Delhomme only has eyes for one receiver so you can't judge him on that. I curious to see what he'll do with Favre throwing the ball...

donhaas has an excellent point when it comes to Bear fans; your team came from "nowhere" to win the division last season; who's to say the Packers won't make the same strides?

donhaas has an excellent point when it comes to Bear fans; your team came from "nowhere" to win the division last season; who's to say the Packers won't make the same strides?

I'm not even saying winning the division. Just solid steps forward. There's such a thin line between winning and losing in today's parity-filled NFL. You get some people back from injury, make some free agent pickups, draft well...... who knows?

Walter is discounting obvious Packer improvements much in the way Sampdog incessantly did it about the Bears last year.

I just hope Walter isn't "tucking in his son" come December when the Packers are tearing it up. :unsure:

Brett Favre was a great player but in his older age he comes off like an arrogant ass who thinks he's bigger than the game. For example, handing Michael Strahan the sack record and waiting forever to decide if he's going to play this year. Sometimes he can be a jerk. In his earlier days he could afford to be a gunslinger but Brett doesn't have the arm or accuracy anymore to squeeze passes into tight spots. From that quote, it sounds like he'll be throwing lots of picks again this year. Sad to see a once great athlete deteriorate like that.

I'm not even saying winning the division. Just solid steps forward. There's such a thin line between winning and losing in today's parity-filled NFL. You get some people back from injury, make some free agent pickups, draft well...... who knows?

Walter is discounting obvious Packer improvements much in the way Sampdog incessantly did it about the Bears last year.

I just hope Walter isn't "tucking in his son" come December when the Packers are tearing it up. :unsure:

yeah, you predicted the bears to finish first last year :unsure: and you were the guy spewing drunken vulgarities and me for predicting 5-8 wins for the packers.

how convenient for you to put a new spin hat on in 2006.

Which is the point I am trying to get swamp to see. The rodgers pick last year was a real gaff!!! His falling to them was the worst case scenario for the packs draft. they should have drafted def with the first pick and held out for frye later. I have nuch more faith in him then Rodgers. With the current state of the NFL, it is always the present, and that can change in the blink of an eye. Free agency and parity has changed the equation.

you're preaching to the choir about the rodgers pick. you must be confusing me with someone else who's on rodger's jock...sho, maybe? :o

It doesn't help :o

Read through the thread and stop acting stupid.

You repeatedly said the Packers are losing Walker this year when you full well know that they never had him.

You're saying the WR corps will be worse when, in fact, they will be better. Hopefully much better.

Bates was losing a step :D

what evidence is there the wrs will be better? again, boreigter and gardner aren't the type of wrs for favre's gunslinger mentality.

yeah, you predicted the bears to finish first last year :unsure: and you were the guy spewing drunken vulgarities and me for predicting 5-8 wins for the packers.

how convenient for you to put a new spin hat on in 2006.

No, I predicted the Lions. I would have been right, too, but I had no way of knowing the Packers would have all of those injuries. :o

For the record. I'm predicting the Lions to be last again. :o

Don't be silly, DisappearDog :unsure:

No, I predicted the Lions. I would have been right, too, but I had no way of knowing the Packers would have all of those injuries. :unsure:

For the record. I'm predicting the Lions to be last again. :o

Don't be silly, DisappearDog :o

dumhass.

let's play the play-on-words game. you're turn :unsure:

dumhass.

let's play the play-on-words game. you're turn :unsure:

There's a "b" in dumb.

Isnt' that ironic. :o

There's a "b" in dumb.

Isnt' that ironic. :o

yeah, and disappearingdog appears in the dictionary as a word, too :unsure:

if i have to explain the game to you, you're already hopeless.

Just for fun, I thought I'd post the actual quote:

"When you're down, I'm not going to sit there and throw 3-yard check-downs and let the clock run out. I'm going to take chances."

Leaving out the first 3 words totally changes the quote.

For all those predicting 30 picks for Favre, here's a little tidbit. When McCarthy came back to GB, he commented with reagrd to Favre that the O has become much more downfield oriented than it was during the SB years. He said he wanted to go back to more of the things they used to do when he was QB coach in GB. He thinks that all the deep balls do not play to Favre's strengths. I am expecting more of the shorter routes and crossing patterns they used to run.

And no, I don't have a link and am far too lazy to spend an hour looking for it. But, I am sure others have seen the article.

Just for fun, I thought I'd post the actual quote:

"When you're down, I'm not going to sit there and throw 3-yard check-downs and let the clock run out. I'm going to take chances."

Leaving out the first 3 words totally changes the quote.

For all those predicting 30 picks for Favre, here's a little tidbit. When McCarthy came back to GB, he commented with reagrd to Favre that the O has become much more downfield oriented than it was during the SB years. He said he wanted to go back to more of the things they used to do when he was QB coach in GB. He thinks that all the deep balls do not play to Favre's strengths. I am expecting more of the shorter routes and crossing patterns they used to run.

And no, I don't have a link and am far too lazy to spend an hour looking for it. But, I am sure others have seen the article.

i think it's painfully obvious that the deep balls don't play into favre's strengths anymore. i'm not convinced he's capable of being the kind of disciplined qb mccarthy wants--even for one-half of one game. mccarthy's gotta be pulling his hair out that not only is favre coming back but now he's hedging on whether this will be his last year. mccarthy will be completely neutered by favre's presence--a lame duck coach before even coaching one game.

I'm not slamming Gado. I'm just saying the position will be better. Either through the improvement of an extremely green rookie or the return of a couple guys who combined for 2600 yards a couple seasons ago when healthy. You live in your own world if you can't see the reason for optimism there.

WR: They had Chatman and some world-league receiver with dreadlocks lining up towards the end of last year. You live in your own world if you don't think Gardner, Boerigter, or a talented high draft pick can't improve that spot.

OL: Whitaker and Klemm were terrible last year. You live in your own world if you don't think very talented 2nd round pick (or anybody, for that matter) could help improve that area.

I don't know what mid-rounders you are speaking of. I think I've pointed toward a second-rounder and a third.

The DT matchups are tough; but they aren't getting any tougher than they were last year. It's a nice tidbit, but it doesn't contradict my point

Hawk, Woodson, and Pickett should make an impact right away on a defense that despite the terrible offense, played very well last year.

HTH! :lol:

ETA: What amazes me is that you guys just went through a scenario like this a year ago. How can you be so thick-skulled about the Packers chances for improvement?

I said I gave you the RB improvement. Why continue to argue the point? I also complimented gado's job last year whereas you insulted your own player for the sake of this argument. "Some 5th rounder who never played before". At least refer to him by name. Show some appreciation for the guy that played so well for you last year. :banana: Green's big rushing years in the past were behind the big oline that was one of the best in the league at the time. That line is no longer there. Do you really expect him to produce more than Gado did in part time play? gado prorated season was 1200 yds and 10 Tds. Do you expect ahman to eclipse that?

I also conceded that the D is improved with the new additions. I even mentioned that as a point in favour of the offense where they wont have to score 30 points to win every week. Again, why argue? Do you just like to be contrary?

As for the oline, I wouldnt pin my hopes on rookies being an improvement right away. The learning curve is steep.

At WR, I also mentioned that gardner is the guy that needs to step up, but he is coming off of a 14 catch season where he was dumped by Carolina. Its no guarentee that he will perform well. Boerigter has been one of the biggest mirages the past few years. I drafted him back in 2002 as the "sleeper" like many did and he has never amounted to a thing and cant stay healthy.

The Bears also diod not come out of nowhere. While I didnt think they would win 11 or the division, I did think they would be alot better than you and others thought. The D was solid in 2004 and carried the team and the injuries were much worse than GB had last year. The potential was there to get much better and the bonus was the collective egg that the rest of the division laid.

GB can have a resurgance. Anything is possible. I wouldnt call it likely if part of this is relying on rookie olinemen and journeymen WRs as part of the comeback. With the moves on D, they are in the thick of the division which is largely mediocre. The Bears could suffer an injury or two and be right there with them.

i think it's painfully obvious that the deep balls don't play into favre's strengths anymore. i'm not convinced he's capable of being the kind of disciplined qb mccarthy wants--even for one-half of one game. mccarthy's gotta be pulling his hair out that not only is favre coming back but now he's hedging on whether this will be his last year. mccarthy will be completely neutered by favre's presence--a lame duck coach before even coaching one game.

The longball was never Favre's strongest suit. All Favre needs is the threat of the longball to be most successful. 15 yards over the middle between three defenders on a rope is what Favre made his name on, not dropping the ball into a basket 40 yards out. He's just not that kind of QB. Favres strengths make him one of the best WCO quarterbacks of all time. Put Favre in a situation of drop back and throw to a Corey Bradford fly pattern and Favre becomes surprisingly pedestrian. Getting back to true WCO and high percentage passing spells good things for Favre. I smell another probowl in his future.

The longball was never Favre's strongest suit. All Favre needs is the threat of the longball to be most successful. 15 yards over the middle between three defenders on a rope is what Favre made his name on, not dropping the ball into a basket 40 yards out. He's just not that kind of QB. Favres strengths make him one of the best WCO quarterbacks of all time. Put Favre in a situation of drop back and throw to a Corey Bradford fly pattern and Favre becomes surprisingly pedestrian. Getting back to true WCO and high percentage passing spells good things for Favre. I smell another probowl in his future.

not saying brett still can't throw a deep ball, only that it's not his strong suit anymore given his consistent boneheaded decisions the last couple of years. and he doesn't have wrs that can bail him out when he heaves into coverage anymore. something he was very slow to learn last year. scratch that: he never learned it.

not saying brett still can't throw a deep ball, only that it's not his strong suit anymore given his consistent boneheaded decisions the last couple of years. and he doesn't have wrs that can bail him out when he heaves into coverage anymore. something he was very slow to learn last year. scratch that: he never learned it.

Gotta agree here. Favre got into the habit of relying on a guy like Walker to pull in the jump ball. When Walker wasn't there, Favre wasn't happy just playing in the confines of the offense. That stubborn attitude will cost the Packers again this season, if Favre refuses to change. I know what McCarthy wants to do, and I love it. I'm just hoping that Favre signs on. He's certainly been doing his own thing the last few years.

Good post. Exactly what I was saying only more succint. And this is exactly what McCarthy wants to do. McCarthy was Favre's QB coach when the O was run much more along those lines so I have faith it will happen.

And lest we forget, Sherman loved the jump ball with his "let the WR make a play" attitude.

Last, I think part of the reason Favre came back is that he had such a horrid year last year and I think he will buy into going back to doing the things that made him a 3 time MVP and allow him to go out in style. I'm pumped.

I think the getting back to the WCO plays not only to Favre's strength, but also to Gardener's. I think Rod can be the big body going over the middle to catch those 15-yard frozen ropes.

Favre's srengths as a QB and as a competitor are when he piles up the first downs. He's proven you can control the clock with the pass. And that you can run an effective two-minute offense 12 yards at a crack. All this quote says is that when he needs to throw 15 yrads for a first down or a TD, he's not gonna dump it three yards for the compltetion stats. Cool with me.

Favre returning is a godsend to the Packers. I don't even care if he comes off as arrogant. That makes a good QB. This guy goes head to head with DTs for crying out loud. But he also needs to show the world that he can be coached. And McCarthy needs to show that he can coach a lovable, gunslinging azzhole like my buddy Brett. Sherman didn't have the testicular fortitude for it.