Sign in to follow this  
neworleansff2003

Revisited: Why Tommy Maddox will throw for 5000 yards

Legendary.

:thumbsup:

that was just plain stupid :ninja:

I suspect the guy that wrote that Maddox post was behind the downfall of FFToday - he had to get rid of that post permanently or he would never live it down.

I suspect the guy that wrote that Maddox post was behind the downfall of FFToday - he had to get rid of that post permanently or he would never live it down.

I have it on my home PC, and I'll post it tonight.

that was just plain stupid :banana:

My pointing out the legandary status of the 5,000 Yards-Post is stupid?

Wow, tough room.

:wall:

Without further adieu, I present THE Tommy Maddox post.

ok, realize that i am a steeler fan, but also realize that this is an un-biased opinion. these r my true thoughts on tommy gun this year, and i fully expect him to prove me right.

first of all, there is no quarterback, and there hasnt been since warner in 1999 w/ as many weapons in the passing game as tommy has this year. hines ward is the most polished wr in football, and plaxico burress is going to show this year how elite of a wr he really is. these guys both will have 12-15 tds each, and both will eclipse 1,300 yds receiving, w/ plax closer to 1,600. randle el in the slot is absolutely impossible to cover 1 on 1 w/out a shut down corner, and u cannott afford that w/ the 2 elite wrs lined up outside. randle el will be good for 500-700 yds receiving this year, and a couple of trick plays as well. zereoue out of the back field will be a huge upgrade over bettis between the 20s, and he has developed into an outstanding receiver and they will find ways to get him the ball through the air. he should get 400-600 yds receiving. rhiemersma is a huge upgrade over bruener as the starting te. rhiemersma is a polished wr, and can make tough catches and keep a linebacker honest at all times, giving maddox more time to throw w/ less blitzes. i look for rhiemersma to accumulate 450-600 yds receiving as well. of course the other backs, fullbacks, and tes, and wrs will get a handfull of catches and yds as well.when u add all of these #s together, u start to realize that tommy maddox will have some serious weapons to throw to this season. he is healthy, confident, playing for a contract, and poised to take this offense to the next level. there will be no defense capable of stopping, or even slowing down this juggernaut.bottom line, maddox can break the all time passing yds record if he stays healthy, and im boldly predicting him for 5,000+ yards passing this season. teams predictions:

maddox: 5,100 yds passing, 36-38 tds, 150 yds rushing, 0-1 tds.

zereoue: 1,100 yds rushing, 4-6 tds, 400-600 yds receiving, 2-3 tds.

bettis: 400-500 yds rushing, 6-8 tds, 100-150 yds receiving, 0 tds.

ward: 110 receptions, 1,350-1,400 yds, 13-15 tds

and a handful of rushing yds)

burress: 85-90 catches, 1,500-1,700 yds, 12-14 tds

randle el: 500-700 yds receiving, 3-5 tds

rhiemersma: 400-500 yds receiving, 2-4 tds

rest of backs/wrs/tes: 300-400 yds receiving, 2-4 tds.

this may seem like its high balling, but ive been doing this for a while, and i see this offense as unbelievably special, and motivated to prove how dominant they can be. u heard it here first, maddox will have a special year in 2003. get him in the last year that hes available after rd 2...

ok, realize that i am a steeler fan, but also realize that this is an un-biased opinion. these r my true thoughts on tommy gun this year, and i fully expect him to prove me right.

first of all, there is no quarterback, and there hasnt been since warner in 1999 w/ as many weapons in the passing game as tommy has this year. hines ward is the most polished wr in football, and plaxico burress is going to show this year how elite of a wr he really is. these guys both will have 12-15 tds each, and both will eclipse 1,300 yds receiving, w/ plax closer to 1,600. randle el in the slot is absolutely impossible to cover 1 on 1 w/out a shut down corner, and u cannott afford that w/ the 2 elite wrs lined up outside. randle el will be good for 500-700 yds receiving this year, and a couple of trick plays as well. zereoue out of the back field will be a huge upgrade over bettis between the 20s, and he has developed into an outstanding receiver and they will find ways to get him the ball through the air. he should get 400-600 yds receiving. rhiemersma is a huge upgrade over bruener as the starting te. rhiemersma is a polished wr, and can make tough catches and keep a linebacker honest at all times, giving maddox more time to throw w/ less blitzes. i look for rhiemersma to accumulate 450-600 yds receiving as well. of course the other backs, fullbacks, and tes, and wrs will get a handfull of catches and yds as well.when u add all of these #s together, u start to realize that tommy maddox will have some serious weapons to throw to this season. he is healthy, confident, playing for a contract, and poised to take this offense to the next level. there will be no defense capable of stopping, or even slowing down this juggernaut.bottom line, maddox can break the all time passing yds record if he stays healthy, and im boldly predicting him for 5,000+ yards passing this season. teams predictions:

this may seem like its high balling, but ive been doing this for a while, and i see this offense as unbelievably special, and motivated to prove how dominant they can be. u heard it here first, maddox will have a special year in 2003. get him in the last year that hes available after rd 2...

:first:

oh boy, it gets funnier everytime i read it :wub:

now find that thread about that dude punching the other guy in the face in front of his wife and kids, and you may just become the best poster ever here

just for the fun of it, maddox's stats from that year:

Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate

2003 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 16 519 298 57.4 3414 6.58 53 18 17 41/242 44 4 75.3

just for the fun of it, maddox's stats from that year:

Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate

2003 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 16 519 298 57.4 3414 6.58 53 18 17 41/242 44 4 75.3

Yep, and since the point of the post was adding up the production from all the different weapons, here is how each receiver fared as compared to the prediction. I think it is a good case study in optimistic predictions vs realistic predictions, and how these can really balloon out of control when you add up optimistic predictions for a team full of individuals. (No one would just look at a unit like that and say Maddox 5000 yards, but you can see where adding up each player caused the homerism to grow out of control)...

433 yds rushing, 2 tds, 310 yds receiving, 0 tds

811 yds rushing, 7 tds, 86 yds receiving, 0 tds

1163 yds receiving, 10 tds, 0 rushing tds

860 yds receiving, 4 tds

364 yds receiving, 1 td

138 yds receiving, 1 td

627 yds receiving, 3 tds

Never mind that Maddox sucks, he missed on every individual receiving prediction except for Bettis' 0 receiving TDs, and (interestingly) the rest of backs/wrs/tes. So aside from having very little understanding how much starters produce compared to reserves, he pretty much listed for each guy the most receiving yards/TDs that guy could possibly ever have in a season at that position, and ignored the fact that most players usually only have career season when their team has a particular reliance on that player as opposed to having balance.

Ward came close to the predicted numbers in 2002 but would have to be in an offense that centered around him to improve on the '02 numbers. Burress was simply too much of a question mark for a prediction like that and still hasn't proved himself, his was the worst prediction. Randle El and other #3 WRs not named Stokely simply don't get that kind of action. Bettis got a lot more playing time than this guy predicted but still wasn't nearly as involved in the passing game as this guy thought. Zereoue just wasn't good enough to get that much playing time. Riemersma wasn't good enough to be that involved in the passing game.

This is interesting to me because when I project players I like to do it by adding up the individual players. But when you do so, you have to be really careful to understand how a player's numbers are affected by their role in the offense, and of course you have to be careful to be realistic about whether the sum of the whole (total offense) is greater than the sum of its parts (individual offensive talent), or if it's less than the sum of its parts. Plus, normally you have to be aware of potential injuries, although these guys actually stayed pretty healthy for the Steelers in '03.

that was just plain stupid :banana:
aaron that post was not meant for your response and somehow quoted you.

:lol:

(Can't believe you actually saved the post Garthia).

I am high on Maddox too this year. I am hoping to grab him in the 3rd after I pick up Finn in the 2nd. I also think that Ahman could be great if his knee could regenerate... if he can get healthy that cat is as fast as DeAngelo Montgomery. :blink:

Nothing like being board on the bored. I missed FFtoday.

My first time. Now I understand.

:lol: :thumbsup:

:pointstosky:

OMFG! THE best post eva! I remember when this was posted orginally & laughed my nuts off then.....even better now! Thanks, I needed this (had a crappy day at work)!

FREAKIN CLASSIC! :banana: :clap:

It's almost the end of August...and we haven't had any Tommy Maddox hype!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Classic moment in FFToday history. This thing shoulda been posted back in May to commemorate its 10th anniversary.

I had only been on the site for a few years when this doozy of a thread first hit the scene. Still makes me laugh.