Sign in to follow this  
Reverend Cleophus James

Source: Deal is reached for QB Harrington

As far as Joey Harrington is concerned I see two scenarios here:

1) He thinks Culpepper won't be a factor for a good part of the year and this is a situation where he can revive his career.

2) He thinks Culpepper will be ready early but he's comfortable being an NFL backup at a young age.

As far as Joey Harrington is concerned I see two scenarios here:

1) He thinks Culpepper won't be a factor for a good part of the year and this is a situation where he can revive his career.

2) He thinks Culpepper will be ready early but he's comfortable being an NFL backup at a young age.

3) He thinks that MIA is much warmer and more beautiful than Detroit. Oh yeah, and he doesn't have to walk around knowing that he has to listen to Matt Millen on a daily basis...

:banana:

3) He thinks that MIA is much warmer and more beautiful than Detroit. Oh yeah, and he doesn't have to walk around knowing that he has to listen to Matt Millen on a daily basis...

:D

Looking at his performance since he entered the NFL he should be kissing the ground Millen walks on for making him a very rich man by taking him #3.

Looking at his performance since he entered the NFL he should be kissing the ground Millen walks on for making him a very rich man by taking him #3.

What if he had gone to a good team?

His next contract might have been far greater then what he can expect now. The Lions might have single-handedly killed his value.

His next contract might have been far greater then what he can expect now. The Lions might have single-handedly killed his value.

What if he's actually not a good QB. He's still set for life.

There's no question Detroit hasn't been a good situation for Harrington but I really haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he's anything more than a mediocre QB at best.

There's no question Detroit hasn't been a good situation for Harrington but I really haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he's anything more than a mediocre QB at best.

Calling him mediocre is nice. He has no game. Prima donna. He should be real happy to have a job.

I still can't seem to grasp why Harrington gets a ton of criticism on this bored, but a guy like David Carr keeps just skating by...

| | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD

Harrington

| TOTAL | 59 | 986 1802 54.7 10242 5.7 60 62 | 109 345 0

Carr

| TOTAL | 60 | 941 1628 57.8 10624 6.5 48 53 | 215 1040 6

the only place Carr really has Joey beat is in rushing yds and TDs -- and unless your last name is Vick, i'm not evaluating your QB talents by those stats...

Calling him mediocre is nice. He has no game. Prima donna. He should be real happy to have a job.

Since he's still young I'll cut him some slack. There have been other QBs that found their game after a rocky start. Yet, I do find the fact that his teammates had zero faith in him to be very disturbing. Every time I watched the guy he looked like a deer in headlights.

I still can't seem to grasp why Harrington gets a ton of criticism on this bored, but a guy like David Carr keeps just skating by...

Harrington

Carr

the only place Carr really has Joey beat is in rushing yds and TDs -- and unless your last name is Vick, i'm not evaluating your QB talents by those stats...

I'm no fan of Carr as well. He's another guy who's just not developing. Yet, there's no question that the O line that the Texans have surrounded him with has been almost a criminal offense. IMO I don't see either of these guys doing anything close to their draft position when it's all said and done.

Since he's still young I'll cut him some slack. There have been other QBs that found their game after a rocky start. Yet, I do find the fact that his teammates had zero faith in him to be very disturbing. Every time I watched the guy he looked like a deer in headlights.

I'm no fan of Carr as well. He's another guy who's just not developing. Yet, there's no question that the O line that the Texans have surrounded him with has been almost a criminal offense. IMO I don't see either of these guys doing anything close to their draft position when it's all said and done.

i'm not saying anyone's going to draft Carr as their QB#1, but if Joey gets so much cr@p for being a bad QB, i can't see why Carr doesn't too...

and just an add-in. Let's compare the running games the two had to support them:

DETROIT

ATT YD YPA TD YEAR

404 1471 3.64 10 --2005

407 1777 4.37 7 --2004

376 1338 3.56 5 --2003

358 1477 4.13 9 --2002

HOUSTON

ATT YD YPA TD YEAR

437 1816 4.16 9 --2005

480 1874 3.90 16 --2004

421 1651 3.92 14 --2003

424 1347 3.18 6 --2002

the only year Detroit had a "better" running game was in 2002 - Houston's inaugural season and before DD was brought in!

I'm not saying that changes that much, but it just goes to show that Carr's supporting cast (including Oline) had to be close to as good, if not better than, what Joey had.

I really think the real difference between the two is ownership, GM, and most importantly coaching staff though...

Harrington

Carr

it's not the numbers, it's a personality misconception. goose stuck harrington with the piano/champagne comment and people ran with it. but you're right: carr certainly hasn't distinguished himself anymore than harrington.

it's not the numbers, it's a personality misconception. goose stuck harrington with the piano/champagne comment and people ran with it. but you're right: carr certainly hasn't distinguished himself anymore than harrington.

That is such a BS image of him. My friend is a bartender at a local strip club in Michigan. When I say Strip Club- this is't some off the freeway, white trash hangout. Theres usually over 60 girls working at a time and they are unbelievable. He would come in fairly regularly last season, pound Wild Turkey, and disappear into the back rooms.

That is such a BS image of him. My friend is a bartender at a local strip club in Michigan. When I say Strip Club- this is't some off the freeway, white trash hangout. Theres usually over 60 girls working at a time and they are unbelievable. He would come in fairly regularly last season, pound Wild Turkey, and disappear into the back rooms.

can't wait to hear the jokes and rumors that start on this bored about Joey now... :ninja:

posters on this board hate him--it's rather personal with most (for some strange reason). just saying...

chicken v. egg?

I am starting to wonder about Saban on this one. With his support of RW, disgruntled and injured CPep and now the Joey thing........

What is he running down there, 4th chance U? Worked for the Raiders for a while but not today.

Not knocking him yet, but starting to cogitate. :rolleyes:

I am starting to wonder about Saban on this one. With his support of RW, disgruntled and injured CPep and now the Joey thing........

What is he running down there, 4th chance U? Worked for the Raiders for a while but not today.

Not knocking him yet, but starting to cogitate. :rolleyes:

he blinked like an idiot on this one. the lions were going to release harrington in a few weeks. the dolphins talked all tough in the media about how they were going to wait--fock you, lions--and then initiated trade talks right after all of that and actually upped their offer.

guess saban knows how to play hardball! :first:

Harrington is a veteran qb that many teams would take on as a veteran resurrection project had Detroit released him. If the project failed, but his experience as a starting qb might become valuable for developing a teams defense (why else has Rick Meier been in the NFL so long).

Miami is in a position where the do not have (known with certainty) as starting qb for the preseason and first half of the season. Remember the injury Cpepper had effected not just a muscle group for his knee. But every single muscle group of his knee.

What is Cpepps threat?

His escapability.

His size to stand in the pocket

His ability to run

All these things require his knee to be back to be a threat.

Harrington is someone nobody is expecting to win out against Cpepper if both are healthy.

But is someone with enough talent (of those left on the FA pile) to play, perhap develop. If you are the Dolphins you want for him to turn around and get a higher round draft pick for him than what you are giving Detroit.

Harrington is the poster boy for what is wrong currently with draft expectations of first rounders.

Is foolish to expect any of these guys to start right away in most positions and situations. QB is the type of position you should not want to move them into starting until midway through their 2nd year or beginning of their third.

Will Harrington ever become a touted QB in this league. Odds are not.

But when ranking versus all of the QB in the league. He is a heck of a lot better than over half.

he blinked like an idiot on this one. the lions were going to release harrington in a few weeks. the dolphins talked all tough in the media about how they were going to wait--fock you, lions--and then initiated trade talks right after all of that and actually upped their offer.

guess saban knows how to play hardball! ;)

But since they don't know for sure that Culpepper will be ready, they now have a veteran backup, better than Gus, that can play until he gets healthy. I say it is a good move. They want him there for all the preseason work he can get to learn the system. Sure they could have waited and paid nothing but odds are that he will help the team early and maybe they can get a better draft pick for him then the one they spent when they trade him to the Cowboys next year.