Sign in to follow this  
Kilroy

Kevin Jones - Steppin Up or Steppin Down?

Kevin Jones was impressive as a rookie. After a bit of a slow start, in part do to injury, Jones closed out the season rushing for 906 yards and 4 TDs over the last 8 games. He finished the year with 1133 yards and 6 TDs while averaging 4.7 yards a carry and was poised for a big season in '05......or so we thought.

Last year wasn't kind to Jones. A nagging shoulder injury limited him to 186 carries for the season. His yards per carry fell from an impressive 4.7 as a rookie to a ho-hum 3.6 and he never carried the ball more than 18 times in a game after Week 7. When all was said and done, Jones finished with just 664 yards and 5 TDs for the season.

2006 will bring about some changes for the Lions. For starters, Steve Mariucci is out and former Tampa Bay defensive line coach Rod Marinelli is in. Mike Martz, mastermind of the 'Greatest Show on Turf', has also been hired as the teams new offensive coordinator. There's also a change at the QB position. Having cut ties with Joey Harrington, Jon Kitna will now be the teams signal caller with Josh McCown backing him up.

If Martz can craft the type of offense in Detroit that he did in St. Louis then Kevin Jones could be in for a surprisingly good season. Roy Williams and Charles Rogers, however, have a long way to go before proving to be anywhere near the type of receiving threats Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce have been throughout their careers.

There's also some reason to be concerned about Jones holding up over an entire season. While I wouldn't consider him injury prone, he hasn't proven to be the most durable back the past two years. With the Lions selection of Brian Calhoun in the 3rd RD, there may also be reason to wonder if Jones will begin getting pressed for playing time.

Is Jones gonna step up and become the featured back in a Mike Martz offense or is he gonna get pushed aside and let Calhoun challange him? If he does hold up, will the rest of the Lions offense play well enough to put KJ in position to get things done?

I see Jones running for 1100 yards and catching 50 passes.

I don't see Calhoun as a threat for a starting job, but more of a Kevin Faulk type 3rd down player. He just isn't very big.

Now if Jones falters, there may be a replacement, but it may come in the '07 draft.

Health is a huge factor here.

health is definately big. almost every game KJ would leave with some kind of minor injury. i wont ever trust this guy.

Kevin Jones cannot step down when he is already at the bottom.

That said he stays right where he is at: a marginal, injury prone RB.

Kevin Jones cannot step down when he is already at the bottom.

That said he stays right where he is at: a marginal, injury prone RB.

My thoughts exactly. Really nowhere to go but up, a great #3.

Man what a tough call - I took this guy as my #2 last year after LT and he burned me. He would start the game then all of the sudden he's sitting on the sideline the rest of the game :ninja: . Not sure if it was coaching or vagina injuries. Bryson also scares me some. I am going with stepping UP for this year however. Will I draft him???? Not sure about that one. I'll have to see where I am in draft order but if he's still available late or mid 3rd it's awefully hard for me to pass on a starting running back in the 3rd round. I think he should also be there on the goaline which increases his value for me.

UP Up and Up (from last year anyway)

I don't think Calhoun will challenge Jones for starting Rb. From what I read, they might be lining Calhoun up a lot as a slot receiver this year.

Depends on the O they run, if they move to a more west coast style, Calhoun may play a big role. Obviously he isn't a big guy at 5'9 and 200 lbs, but he is quick and elusive.. if they run more of an offense like they did with Sanders, he could take KJ's job. If they stick to a more straight ahead pounding style of running, chances are he will end up as a 3rd and long guy or a situational player.

Injuries need to be looked at two ways - as an individual player, and as part of the team. If a single player on a generally healthy team is struggling with minor nagging stuff all the time, then the player is probably a bit injury prone. If, however, the team as a whole struggles consistently (flukes happen, obviously) with health, then there is something to be said about the weight training and conditioning program which is employed.

It seems to me that the latter deserves careful scrutiny in the Lions' case, and so I'm cautiously optimistic about what Kevin Jones is going to do this year. He has the talent. The question is surrounding the new coaching staff. I say it's a team thing, and that this staff will do a better job in training program, as well as in game preparation/execution.

Kevin Jones steps up. :thumbsup:

I like Martz's system, but I dont like KJ's attitude. I think he will do better this year than last, but still disapoint people. I dont think he's the answer for RB there, but he'll do alright in Martz's system I believe.

I like Martz's system, but I dont like KJ's attitude. I think he will do better this year than last, but still disapoint people. I dont think he's the answer for RB there, but he'll do alright in Martz's system I believe.

For where KJones is being drafted (late 2nd/early 3rd) in a dynasty league I would pass on him and land a top WR instead. I just dont trust KJones or Julius for some reason.

For where KJones is being drafted (late 2nd/early 3rd) in a dynasty league I would pass on him and land a top WR instead. I just dont trust KJones or Julius for some reason.

I agree. Im in a draft now, and KJones got taken at 2.04, when Chad Johnson and Ronnie Brown were still there to pick....insanity there....

I'm skeptical about KJ's production this year. If Martz gets his way, (and all indications are he is going to get to run his offense) the team is going to throw more than they run. Kevin Jones has some great running skills, but he really struggles in the passing game (hence the reason Bryson was the 3rd down back for much of the last two years)

KJ is no Marshall, and unless he's made a quantum leap blocking and being able to catch the ball, his production is going to suffer.

1100 yards, 5-7 TDs and maybe 20-25 receptions. If he plays 16 games, then expect those numbers to increase by a little. That puts him about an iffy #2, solid #3 back.

He'll improve on last year (hard not to) but he still scares me.. I would love him as a RB3 but not sure I could pull the trigger on him as my RB2... Unless it was really slim pickens...

excerpt from Prisco

Martz likes running back Kevin Jones and can't wait to put the ball in his hands; he likes his receivers, beginning with Williams; and he thinks the Lions can produce the kind of passing attack that has been missing in Motown for years.

Me? I see the league's 26th-ranked passing game and a lot of incompletions, which is why I went down the roster with Martz.

Let's assume you give him Williams as someone who could be an elite performer. Now, what else is there? Charles Rogers? Yes, but he's not part of this equation. Rogers, who was suspended last year, has a long way to go before he can make an impact.

And I'm not sure he can. He hasn't in three years.

So then what? Try former USC star Mike Williams, who did nothing last year as a first-round pick. He made an impression at recent workouts by showing up at 230 pounds, down from a high of 245, and has Martz thinking he can be the receiver the Lions envisioned when they made him the 10th choice in the 2005 draft.

"He surprised me," Martz said. "He has way more ability than I thought he did. He has very quick feet. He blew me away with his quickness."

Then there's veteran Corey Bradford, last seen running routes for woebegone Houston, where he led the Texans in touchdown catches last season. Martz loves Bradford's speed and sees him as the team's No. 2 receiver.

Decent article. I just wish a reporter would ask him if he is tough enough to play through injuries this year.

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_displ...ument_id=445200

I don’t feel like I have to prove it to the coaches or my teammates because they all know I can run,” he said. “I will prove it. I don’t think I have to prove it, though. It’s just something I do. That’s just a part of me: competing and trying to be the best.”

I traded Kevin Jones for the 1.2 rookie pick this year, 12 team Dynasty League. Several reasons for it ... but I will get Maroney or Reggie Bush and both have a better upside.

Why do I say that ? I know what Kevin Jones is at this point, injury prone on a team with a new offense, Bryson/Pinner/Calhoun to compete with and with those WR's it aint going to be a 300 rush season by any means.

More upside in Bush/Maroney

I say a neutral year for Jones - neither up nor down, you'll get maybe 1,000 yards and 5-7 td's .......

No mention of that craptastic O-Line in DET?

I've heard that can hurt a RB's chances for success.

It can. So go ahead and discuss it if you want.

don't like his attitude?! :rolleyes:

the guy's already a leader in the lockerroom. one of the first ones to arrive, one of the last ones to leave. he was one of the first guys to meet with marinelli when he was hired, one of the first to start workouts. he's busting his azz.

question everything else--whether he'll stay healthy, how good he and the lions offense will or won't do, blah, blah, but throwing something out there about his poor attitude is just plain erroneous information.

I agree that its a tough call to question the man's attitude. Im sure noone is working hard, or wants to succeed more than Jones. You just have to look at the surrounding talent, beginning with the Oline, and just question whether there is enough there to balance things out. Roy Williams is a stud, but Rogers and Williams have provided no help to this point. How's Jon Kitna looking at Q to you right now, Swamp? Can he help this team win 10 games and the division this year, or is he just a 'stop gap'? I like Kitna, but he's got a history of fumbling and turning the ball over. They all need to step up together for Jones to prosper. But it begins up front, and if the line performs, Jones will perform.

I agree that its a tough call to question the man's attitude. Im sure noone is working hard, or wants to succeed more than Jones. You just have to look at the surrounding talent, beginning with the Oline, and just question whether there is enough there to balance things out. Roy Williams is a stud, but Rogers and Williams have provided no help to this point. How's Jon Kitna looking at Q to you right now, Swamp? Can he help this team win 10 games and the division this year, or is he just a 'stop gap'? I like Kitna, but he's got a history of fumbling and turning the ball over. They all need to step up together for Jones to prosper. But it begins up front, and if the line performs, Jones will perform.

it's been hard to gauge what is happening on the practice field this spring because marinelli has closed all practices to the media and public--and martz has taken a vow of silence with the local media until training camp. the "rumor" is that it's kitna's job to lose and that orlovsky was pushing mccown hard for the #2 spot.

about the only things known specifically have been off-field stuff (mike losing weight, kj losing weight/attitude). marinelli has this thing locked down pretty tight right now.

it's been hard to gauge what is happening on the practice field this spring because marinelli has closed all practices to the media and public--and martz has taken a vow of silence with the local media until training camp. the "rumor" is that it's kitna's job to lose and that orlovsky was pushing mccown hard for the #2 spot.

about the only things known specifically have been off-field stuff (mike losing weight, kj losing weight/attitude). marinelli has this thing locked down pretty tight right now.

I like hearing that from the coach's perspective...limited BS press coming out of Lions' HQ. Im sure its all under control, and I had heard that Jones had been losing weight to get down to around the optimum 220. Supposedly, he was up to 240 last year. He can do alot of great things in that O. Im thinking Kitna could be a real sleeper at Q in that Martz O if things click and guys step up. Im optimistic as always for your boys. What about Williams' have you been hearing, if anything? Losing weight would be a good start.

he's busting his azz.

which is why I traded him. he's doing all he can, and still leaves games early, gets average stats, gets injured .......... if thats all he can do, I'll roll my dice with the 1.2 rookie pick.

again, I KNOW what Kevin Jones is ........ and I need better than that

I like hearing that from the coach's perspective...limited BS press coming out of Lions' HQ. Im sure its all under control, and I had heard that Jones had been losing weight to get down to around the optimum 220. Supposedly, he was up to 240 last year. He can do alot of great things in that O. Im thinking Kitna could be a real sleeper at Q in that Martz O if things click and guys step up. Im optimistic as always for your boys. What about Williams' have you been hearing, if anything? Losing weight would be a good start.

mike is down to the mid 220s right now (about 13-15 pounds off his weight last year) and the lions have set a target weight of 220 for him (lowered from about 226 because he's been doing so well). mike claims he's focused, working hard, and feels great. we'll see.

mike is down to the mid 220s right now (about 13-15 pounds off his weight last year) and the lions have set a target weight of 220 for him (lowered from about 226 because he's been doing so well). mike claims he's focused, working hard, and feels great. we'll see.

Thats good to hear. I know this continues to be off the KJones subject, Swamp, but did Mike Williams have any injury problems last year at all? Or was it just first year flopping with the team struggling?

Thats good to hear. I know this continues to be off the KJones subject, Swamp, but did Mike Williams have any injury problems last year at all? Or was it just first year flopping with the team struggling?

no injuries (to speak of). simply was out of football for nearly two years, was a rookie, was overweight and out of shape. not a good combination of things. even with all that, he put up numbers comparable to all the other round 1 wrs last year.

mike claims he's focused, working hard, and feels great. we'll see.

Sounds like your report on Joey Harrington last year :ninja:

How'd that end up??

Is word out of camp that Mike is feeling "confident"??

:first:

Terd Ferguson > M. Williams :pointstosky:

Ill be the first to admit that Mike Williams right now has sort of a David Terrell or JJ Stokes feel to him, but Im giving the guy the benefit of the doubt. He's super young, and being caught up in a situation with a lame duck QB and coach last year impacted him negatively no doubt. I love these types of players come draft time, though because you can draft them so late that there is virtually no risk. If I werent able to get Mike Williams as my 5th WR, I simply wouldnt take him. But as a 5th WR, he's nothing but upside. He'll be a waiver wire wonder, possibly, in half the leagues in America.

I see talk of Detroit's bad offensive line. What's with that?

According to the outsiders line scores, Here, the Lions were middle of the league (#14 of 32) as a run line, and slightly better in pass protectioin.

Adding Martz to the mix wont hurt, though immediate results may be lacking. I think a lot of the problem last year was a general team collapse, and/or sophamore jinx. I look for a strong season, stepping up from his rookie year.

J

I think his attitude is right where it needs to be...

I say it's up, up and away to his beautiful, his beautiful rookie numbers

Jones will be good if he can stay healthy. He has the Julius Jones syndrome. I put Kevin Jones and Julius Jones in the same category, except Kevin Jones doesn't have any competitition for his job where Julius has to look over his shoulder for Marion Barber.

Jones will be good if he can stay healthy. He has the Julius Jones syndrome. I put Kevin Jones and Julius Jones in the same category, except Kevin Jones doesn't have any competitition for his job where Julius has to look over his shoulder for Marion Barber.

marion barber=brian calhoun, brian calhoun=marion barber

I see talk of Detroit's bad offensive line. What's with that?

According to the outsiders line scores, Here, the Lions were middle of the league (#14 of 32) as a run line, and slightly better in pass protectioin.

Adding Martz to the mix wont hurt, though immediate results may be lacking. I think a lot of the problem last year was a general team collapse, and/or sophamore jinx. I look for a strong season, stepping up from his rookie year.

J

that's because people pile all of detroit's offensive ills last season onto the o-line. a chunk of that blame goes to the play calling. defensive players claimed last year they called detroit's play in their own huddle before the lions offense called it in theirs. that kind of jump on the ball is going to make an o-line look awful. while the lions don't have the best o-line in the league, they're actually not as bad there as most people mistakenly think.

marion barber=brian calhoun, brian calhoun=marion barber

Not true at all. Calhoun is not going to play the role in Detroit's offense that Barber will in Dallas. Barber will cut into JJ's carries way more than Calhoun will to KJ's.

Decent article. I just wish a reporter would ask him if he is tough enough to play through injuries this year.

I wonder how much of that was KJ and how much was Mooch coddling him and loving his RBBCs.

I remember KJ pacing on the sidelines itching to get back in a couple of times and Mariucci never put him back in.

And when he really got hurt, he did play with a harness on his shoulder and a flack jacket for his ribs, so he does play through some injuries...

I'm torn - he burned me bad last year at 2.11

would I trust him if he slipped to the 3rd? god - I hope it doesn't come to that.

Steppin' up, how can he not? I think there were a few things out of his control last year, namely the blocking, the play calling, the QB, and never being given a chance to get in a groove. I kept him last year and was obviously sorely dissapointed. I am going to keep him again this year and hope for the KJ at the end of '04. I truly think that can happen as long as he can stay on the field. The O-line is better with Verba, if he has anything left. He gets Schlesinger back in front of him this year ( I don't think you can underestimate the importance of a RB trusting his FB). Kitna is no Peyton but he's a BIG step up from threenout Joey. I just see better #'s outta KJ this year, much better. Maybe I'm just stupid! :dunno: With that being said, I have no doubt someone will tell me that. :headbanger:

Experts are saying to draft Steven Jackson high...ignore the fact that he didn't get many carries last year and barely broke 1000 yards, all that will change this year...the reason he didn't get great rushing production last year, was because he was in Martz's system.

OK, so now Kevin Jones (<700 yds last year) is now in Martz's system, and I'm supposed to be excited about that? No thanks. Now Roy Williams, maybe, but not Kevin Jones.