Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Leo

Barry Bonds

That same book also says that he hit 73 home runs one year. :lol:

Didn't Rosie Ruiz win a Boston Marathon, too?

and ben johnson is -40- times faster than any man in the world. :thumbsup:

That same book also says that he hit 73 home runs one year. :lol:

Didn't Rosie Ruiz win a Boston Marathon, too?

baseball-reference.com :thumbsup: wned

What I don't understand is the contention that Barry has "dramatically" changed his body due soely to roids. He was listed in 93' as weighing 220. He is listed in 06' as weighing 230. Sure he has gotten a little bigger, but people act like he went from Erkel to Ving Rames in one year. Has it ever occured to anybody that when he shaved his head clean, which was about at age 35, that his head may look different. Do you look the same as you did 15 years ago? :mad:

graspingatstrawshere

The saddest thing about this is that Bonds didn't need to take that crap. He was probably gonna be considered one of the best ever without taking roids. He has great hand-eye coordination and a good eye at the plate. He would have made the hall of fame without going to cheating.

The saddest thing about this is that Bonds didn't need to take that crap. He was probably gonna be considered one of the best ever without taking roids. He has great hand-eye coordination and a good eye at the plate. He would have made the hall of fame without going to cheating.

He's the only one that did steroids, right? :sleep:

He was just keeping up with the joneses, or the McGwireses and Sosaes

hth

What I don't understand is the contention that Barry has "dramatically" changed his body due soely to roids. He was listed in 93' as weighing 220. He is listed in 06' as weighing 230. Sure he has gotten a little bigger, but people act like he went from Erkel to Ving Rames in one year. Has it ever occured to anybody that when he shaved his head clean, which was about at age 35, that his head may look different. Do you look the same as you did 15 years ago? :sleep:

graspingatstrawshere

this just isn't true...he weighed like 185 for the first 10 years he played. check one of his old baseball cards.

this just isn't true...he weighed like 180 for the first 10 years he played. check one of his old baseball cards.

:sleep: Yup you are right. He was closer to 205 in 93' and came in the league 20 years ago listed just around 190.

On a similar note: Michael Jordan has to be on Roids too!

"Michael Jordan and Barry Bonds share several characteristics.

Immediately one thinks of MVPs, work ethic, and domination of

sport. But it is their weight that should be focused upon. Both

entered their respective leagues weighing less than 190 pounds.

They were skinny 21 year olds. 15 years later both players

weighed over 220 pounds"

http://legalball.com/MLB_News_Barry_Bonds_Steroids

Changes Occurring with Age

A decline in our physical abilities starts around age 30, continues throughout our life, and reaches a plateau between ages 60 and 70. After the plateau, a slower decline follows. The rate of decline varies with our individual level of fitness as well as our lifestyle. The speed at which our nerves conduct impulses declines approximately 15%, resulting in decreased reaction time and slowness in performing tasks. Maximum breathing capacity decreases approximately 40% during this period. Individuals with chronic lung disease, such as emphysema, suffer a more significant decline. Cardiovascular function declines approximately one half of one percent each year starting around age 30. It is no coincidence that many world-class and endurance athletes begin gradually leaving their sport after this age. There is a 40% to 50% reduction in muscle mass during this period with a similar decline in bone mass. There is a simultaneous increase in body fat in both men and women. The metabolic rate also declines with age. This decline is mostly affected by muscle mass. Regular exercise helps to preserve muscle mass, particularly muscle loading exercises such as weight training, walking, and physically challenging occupations.

Taken from the Hughes Medical Report.

This is a natural phenomenon for all males over the age of 30, except Barry Bonds, who put on forty pounds of muscle after the age of 35. :sleep:

Obviously the steriod use is going to taint his legacy, and justifiably so. But looking at the entirety of his career (not just the last 7 years), I still think he's the best of his generation.

Changes Occurring with Age

A decline in our physical abilities starts around age 30, continues throughout our life, and reaches a plateau between ages 60 and 70. After the plateau, a slower decline follows. The rate of decline varies with our individual level of fitness as well as our lifestyle. The speed at which our nerves conduct impulses declines approximately 15%, resulting in decreased reaction time and slowness in performing tasks. Maximum breathing capacity decreases approximately 40% during this period. Individuals with chronic lung disease, such as emphysema, suffer a more significant decline. Cardiovascular function declines approximately one half of one percent each year starting around age 30. It is no coincidence that many world-class and endurance athletes begin gradually leaving their sport after this age. There is a 40% to 50% reduction in muscle mass during this period with a similar decline in bone mass. There is a simultaneous increase in body fat in both men and women. The metabolic rate also declines with age. This decline is mostly affected by muscle mass. Regular exercise helps to preserve muscle mass, particularly muscle loading exercises such as weight training, walking, and physically challenging occupations.

Taken from the Hughes Medical Report.

This is a natural phenomenon for all males over the age of 30, except Barry Bonds, who put on forty pounds of muscle after the age of 35. :sleep:

I guess Karl Malone, Roger Clemens, Jerry Rice, Curt Schilling, Michael Jordan, and many other great athletes have to be on roids too. Since it cannot be done after 35 without it. :banana:

Sure Barry prolly took some performance enhancing drugs, but don't over exaggerate that this somehow made him into the Hulk and his talent and work ethic have little to do with it.

I guess Karl Malone, Roger Clemens, Jerry Rice, Curt Schilling, Michael Jordan, and many other great athletes have to be on roids too. Since it cannot be done after 35 without it. :sleep:

Sure Barry prolly took some performance enhancing drugs, but don't over exaggerate that this somehow made him into the Hulk and his talent and work ethic have little to do with it.

His talent and work ethic would have landed him in the hall HOF with the required 500 homers to get in. However the roids made MANY hits that would have been just along fly ball into dingers. Roids can't help you hit a curve, but they will make you hit that curve father.

I guess Karl Malone, Roger Clemens, Jerry Rice, Curt Schilling, Michael Jordan, and many other great athletes have to be on roids too. Since it cannot be done after 35 without it. :rolleyes:

The only guy on that list who has put on a significant amount of muscle past the age of 35 is Clemens. I've never said that I believe Clemens has been steroid-free.

:rolleyes: Yup you are right. He was closer to 205 in 93' and came in the league 20 years ago listed just around 190.

On a similar note: Michael Jordan has to be on Roids too!

"Michael Jordan and Barry Bonds share several characteristics.

Immediately one thinks of MVPs, work ethic, and domination of

sport. But it is their weight that should be focused upon. Both

entered their respective leagues weighing less than 190 pounds.

They were skinny 21 year olds. 15 years later both players

weighed over 220 pounds"

87 Fleer

91 Leaf

i couldn't find the back of anything past 91 in my quick search but he's the same weight(185) from 87-91.

His talent and work ethic would have landed him in the hall HOF with the required 500 homers to get in. However the roids made MANY hits that would have been just along fly ball into dingers. Roids can't help you hit a curve, but they will make you hit that curve father.

You haters just keep spewing the same nonsense. You're not an athlete, you're not a doctor, you have no focking clue if steroids will help you hit a baseball farther. :rolleyes:

One thing we do know about steroids, it's helps you recover faster from injury and it allows you to grow bigger muscle mass. Does that equal more home runs? Prove it. TIA

87 Fleer

91 Leaf

i couldn't find the back of anything past 91 in my quick search but he's the same weight(185) from 87-91.

Now show me John Kruk when he was 25 and then 35. TIA

Point?

Point?

the point was that KSB2424 said he was 220 in 93, i said he was still listed at his rookie weight.

You haters just keep spewing the same nonsense. You're not an athlete, you're not a doctor, you have no focking clue if steroids will help you hit a baseball farther. :rolleyes:

One thing we do know about steroids, it's helps you recover faster from injury and it allows you to grow bigger muscle mass. Does that equal more home runs? Prove it. TIA

Point?

You live in a dream land if you don't think roids will help you hit home runs. We may not be atheletes now but most of us have played some sort of college or highschool ball. We are not nieve enough to think that the incredible barry did all this on his own. Its not hating on a great athelete because his is black or an arsehole. Its hating on him because he cheated the game. Pure and simple.

I not sure about this, but does Topps, Donruss, and Fleer weigh these guys every year? Or do they just use the last years vitals when they print the baseball cards for each and every player in the MLB. :rolleyes:

It seems less plausible that a person would weigh the EXACT same every year. Not 184 then 188 or even 185 then 187. BUT they put 185 until it is finally updated, seems more likley.

:banana:

J.J. Walker laughs at his physique in that picture.

newbie, that means he's only gained 45 pounds of muscle since then...like that's a lot or something. :rolleyes:

I not sure about this, but does Topps, Donruss, and Fleer weigh these guys every year? Or do they just use the last years vitals when they print the baseball cards for each and every player in the MLB. :banana:

It seems less plausible that a person would weigh the EXACT same every year. Not 184 then 188 or even 185 then 187. BUT they put 185 until it is finally updated, seems more plausible.

i'd imagine it's the team that releases that stuff, like the info that's in the program. i'm sorry, it's doubtful that he's listed at 185 and really weighs 220. :(

One thing we do know about steroids, it's helps you recover faster from injury and it allows you to grow

bigger muscle mass. Does that equal more home runs? Prove it. TIA

It will also have an effect on his balls at some point. :rolleyes:

"The national media has assumed that Bonds’ weight gain is the

result of years of illegal steroid use. However, this is

irresponsible reporting. Bonds has never had a gigantic weight

gain in his career. Radio host Ralph Barbieri and Tom Tolbert

were discussing as much yesterday by stating that Bonds never

increased his weight more than 12 pounds over an off-season.

This fact immediately detracts from those who point at this

substantial, yet nonexistent, weight gain. The spotlight should

be focused on those who came back from the off-season with 20

pounds of added muscle. Furthermore, the spotlight should be

placed on those who lost the muscle this past season with the

new steroid rules in affect.

Two players who immediately come to mind are Jason Giambi and

Sammy Sosa. Both bulked up and had monster years when there

was no drug testing. And both lost tremendous weight and

statistics once drug testing was in place. Bonds, however,

played at the same weight during both periods."

He hit 46 HR in 93, clearly he was doing steroids. :(

"The national media has assumed that Bonds’ weight gain is the

result of years of illegal steroid use. However, this is

irresponsible reporting. Bonds has never had a gigantic weight

gain in his career. Radio host Ralph Barbieri and Tom Tolbert

were discussing as much yesterday by stating that Bonds never

increased his weight more than 12 pounds over an off-season.

This fact immediately detracts from those who point at this

substantial, yet nonexistent, weight gain. The spotlight should

be focused on those who came back from the off-season with 20

pounds of added muscle. Furthermore, the spotlight should be

placed on those who lost the muscle this past season with the

new steroid rules in affect.

Two players who immediately come to mind are Jason Giambi and

Sammy Sosa. Both bulked up and had monster years when there

was no drug testing. And both lost tremendous weight and

statistics once drug testing was in place. Bonds, however,

played at the same weight during both periods."

:clap: :( :first:

that's quite a reputable site you're quoting.

Is it any less reputable than your or newbie's opinion? :(

Is it any less reputable than your or newbie's opinion? :(

everything written on the intranet is true.

HTH

I fully admit he did steroids. That's not even in question.

:first:

Why didn't I ever visit Legalball.com? Who the hell is the webmaster? Barry Bonds?

So, I guess 99% of all baseball fans need their eyes checked. Bonds didn't really gain 45 lbs. of muscle in a two year period. And his head is the same size, too.

And he went from a 35 home run per year guy to a 60-73 year guy just because he decided, at age 35, to put in a little extra time in the batting cage.

:(

everything written on the intranet is true.

HTH

:(

I've said this, time and time again.

I don't see why it's so important now.

He did steroids, like 75% of the rest of the league he was part of. That's nothing new.

I've said this, time and time again.

I don't see why it's so important now.

He did steroids, like 75% of the rest of the league he was part of. That's nothing new.

then why are you arguing about it now? :(

then why are you arguing about it now? :wacko:

I'm arguing that his doing steroids, doesn't at all take away from what he did on the field. he like everyone else in the majors was doing them. Why is he suddenly the scapegoat? His stats are his stats, they will not be taken away. You and Newbie can b!tch and moan all you want.

May I remind you the title of this thread? Barry Bonds best of his generation.

Thanks. Maybe we can do this again sometime soon.

Why didn't I ever visit Legalball.com? Who the hell is the webmaster? Barry Bonds?

So, I guess 99% of all baseball fans need their eyes checked. Bonds didn't really gain 45 lbs. of muscle in a two year period. And his head is the same size, too.

And he went from a 35 home run per year guy to a 60-73 year guy just because he decided, at age 35, to put in a little extra time in the batting cage.

:wacko:

So I guess 99% of humans don't gain weight naturally from age 21 to 41.

Did he use, yeah. But isn't it more likely that he has not used as much or not the raging growth hormones like Giambi and/or Sosa because Barry has not lost substantial wieght since 03'.

Sure Barry Bonds used some kinds of performance enhancing drugs, but unlike other athletes, who are younger btw, it looks as if he was not AS dependent on them.

The fact is Barry gained those 40 lbs over an exended period of time, its not like he showed up one day and was the Hulk.

If you don't like Barry and you want to call him a cheater then fine, just don't over exaggerate everything, and use him as the scapegoat for the steroid era.

Barry Bonds home runs from year to year.

1986 16

1987 25

1988 24

1989 19

1990 33

1991 25

1992 34

1993 46

1994 37

1995 33

1996 42

1997 40

1998 37

1999 34

2000 49

2001 73

2002 46

2003 45

2004 45

You geniuses that claim he's been doing steroids since 1996 and his career #'s are a joke and he only hit's HR's because of steroids. How do you explain 2001? Did he do extra steroids? :banana: :wacko:

1986 16

1987 25

1988 24

1989 19

1990 33

1991 25

1992 34

1993 46

1994 37

1995 33

1996 42

1997 40

1998 37

1999 34

2000 49

2001 73

2002 46

2003 45

2004 45

You geniuses that claim he's been doing steroids since 1996 and his career #'s are a joke and he only hit's HR's because of steroids. How do you explain 2001? Did he do extra steroids? :banana: :wacko:

it was the cattle steriods. :banana:

it was the cattle steriods. :banana:

Your argument gets weaker and weaker by the post. keep up the good work. :wacko:

1986 16

1987 25

1988 24

1989 19

1990 33

1991 25

1992 34

1993 46

1994 37

1995 33

1996 42

1997 40

1998 37

1999 34

2000 49

2001 73

2002 46

2003 45

2004 45

Growth Hormone.

Your argument gets weaker and weaker by the post. keep up the good work. :wacko:

i didn't even know we were still arguing...we both agree he did steriods. :banana: