Sign in to follow this  
swirvenirvin

Pistons lose in 5

Big Ben seems to have a lost a step. He used to be able to quard the opposing center and wait to the last minute to provide help defense on a driver. Now it looks like he's having to commit earlier, leaving Shaq by himself allowing Wade to lob passes back to Shaq.

Not all Ben's fault, cause there probably not anyone in the league who can guard Wade anyway, but a very healthy Shaq and Wade are nearly unstoppable, add in Walker playing somewhat to his abilities and Miami's just a very very talented team. Detroits always been better then the sum of it's parts. IMO right now, Miami's big three just add up to more then Detroit can handle right now.

Pistons fans, welcome to the wonderful world of Flip Saunders.

He runs a great offensive system: fluid, easy to learn, and the kind of thing you can run for 82 games without a deep bench. But he is among the worst coaches in the league when it comes to making game-to-game adjustments to counter an opponent.

I would disagree that Wallace has lost a step. For all the problems he presents (and they're well documented) Larry Brown had the ability to force, convince, cajole or trick seasoned pros into playing team defense night after night. Shaq is playing well, and when he plays like this it's tough for anyone to control him, but Rasheed's failure to rotate from the weakside and provide a shot blocking presence is what's leaving Ben on an island. The key to Detroit's defense has been that they've had three guys able to alter shots (the Wallaces and Prtince) on the floor without sacrificing their base offense. That's not happening.

I'd rather have Zo then Big Ben

25% FT shooting?? C'mon a 10 yr old girl can do better than that :thumbsdown:

I'd rather have Zo then Big Ben

25% FT shooting?? C'mon a 10 yr old girl can do better than that :thumbsdown:

In his limited time, I've been :o at how well Zo's been playing. 25% really is sick. I could hit 3 out of 10 blindfolded, maybe he should try that.

LOL, okay Shaq is huge, to block Dale Davis without leaving your feet, that's impressive.

Miami FT: 45

Detroit FT: 18

I'm sure good ol Stern didn't make a phone call to bob delaney this week :thumbsdown:

It's not over.....not over by any means.

Detroit can beat anybody at home....so it comes down to them having to find a way to win in Miami. Can they do that? Not if the Heat keep playing the way they have in this series. But, the Heat could go cold any game now and if that happens to be in Game 6....then it's a different series.

I can't believe some of you Piston fans are abandoning the ship.....yours is a resilient team. I would bet at this point that the Heat goes on to win the series, too, but I don't think a comeback is outside the realm of possibility.

Momentum can turn on a dime in sports.

Momentum can turn on a dime in sports.

hard to believe that when it is starting to look like the winner of this series

was already decided off the court. this is the NBA, remember?

SI is always so cheerful. Especially after a loss.

Miami FT: 45

Detroit FT: 18

I'm sure good ol Stern didn't make a phone call to bob delaney this week <_<

Yeah, it sure looked like Detroit had Bob Delaney guarding Wade tonight.

no, his job was to make guarding Wade in any way a foul.

no, his job was to make guarding Wade in any way a foul.

By guarding, I assume you mean splattering him all over the hardwood?

Too bad it's not best out of 9 or 11. Eventually they would've knocked Wade out of this series like they did in last year's.

Maybe Bob Barker, Bob Dole, Bob Goldthwaite, Bob Saget, Bob Newhart or Sponge Bob SquarePants could do a better job.

but this game wasn't about wade anyway, it was about shaq getting away with murder

repeatedly. wasn't that 1st quarter great? shaq was wide open again and again for

easy dunks...then you see the replays and several times he blatently pushes ben wallace

out of the lane, gets the pass, easy dunk, no foul. :wacko:

how about that charge over Wallace where he loses the ball out of bounds to detroit.

easy offensive foul call...oh woops no foul.

and how about that awesome pass from Walker that Shaq tipped in with his fingertips?!

Rashweed got called for the foul on him there...then you see the replay. Shaq pushes

Weed in the back then jumps and tips it in... :D

<_<

but this game wasn't about wade anyway, it was about shaq getting away with murder

repeatedly. wasn't that 1st quarter great? shaq was wide open again and again for

easy dunks...then you see the replays and several times he blatently pushes ben wallace

out of the lane, gets the pass, easy dunk, no foul. :wacko:

how about that charge over Wallace where he loses the ball out of bounds to detroit.

easy offensive foul call...oh woops no foul.

and how about that awesome pass from Walker that Shaq tipped in with his fingertips?!

Rashweed got called for the foul on him there...then you see the replay. Shaq pushes

Weed in the back then jumps and tips it in... :D

<_<

That's not why you're losing. You're losing because Rip can't hit the side of a barn right now, Sheed has gone back to being Portland Sheed (which makes me laugh...you think the D is going to change him? Please), and Billups just isn't very good right now (I was ready to annoint him Mr. Clutch, but aside from a moment here and there, he's been ordinary, which is just shocking).

Only explanation for all of this is locker room problems, as I think Kerr noted a couple of games ago.

Verrrrry interesting to see if Big Ben gets resigned. I don't think I would at this point if he wants more than 3 years at huge money...

That's not why you're losing.

so are you saying that teams with 25 free throw deficits win all the time right? no effect?

Seems to me that Baghdad Bob was more fair, balanced, and impartial than Bob DeLaney.

Just kidding- I couldn't help myself.

Seriously, I don't like how the officiating is (I could tick off a few bad calls too besides the one GH does) but I'm not going to gripe about it because it's part of the game and complaining is unbecoming.

Detroit doesn't attack the basket much, they settle for outside shots, and so so don't draw many fouls. Shaq's been picking up tons of fouls all year but Detroit has become a preimeter team with little offensive presence in the paint. Between Shaq's big butt and Wade's constant cuts to the basket the Detroit big men all got in foul trouble.

I'm surprised at how well Miami is playing defensivly. Detroit isn't getting a lot of good looks. Some of those shots Wade hit were pretty amazing.

I wish it were just the officiating.

It's not the lack of defensive fouls on Miami I'm complaining about.

It's the uncalled offensive fouls. Detroit shot 22 free throws which is right

in line with the previous games for both teams(27 22 21 33 25 21)

we all saw Shaq run over Ben and lose the ball out of bounds to Detroit. What did

the announcers say: They coulda called that an offensive foul. (well why didn't they?)

Or that tip in by Shaq that I mentioned, on replay the announcer says: I don't know about

that call, it looks like Shaq was the one pushing in the back.

when you add up this crapola you are looking at an easy 10-15 point swing.

it only took 3 horrific calls to completely overturn a superbowl.

we all saw Shaq run over Ben and lose the ball out of bounds to Detroit. What did

the announcers say: They coulda called that an offensive foul. (well why didn't they?)

Or that tip in by Shaq that I mentioned, on replay the announcer says: I don't know about

No kidding, cause Shaq is never fouled, never has a body thrown at him or has guys draped all over him when before he even gets the ball. He's in a bubble until he initiates contact. :first:

No kidding, cause Shaq is never fouled, never has a body thrown at him or has guys draped all over him when before he even gets the ball. He's in a bubble until he initiates contact. :first:

uhm, Shaq shot 15 free throws, 11 more than the closest piston player.

HTH

HTH

Congrats you can read a box score. Is your point that the refs called make believe fouls on Shaq defenders as he was driving to the hoop. I watched the game that's not even close, he was often mugged trying to take the ball up.

HTH

and how many of the 15 did he hit? :first:

It's not like they were sending Larry Bird to the free throw line

This board desperately needs a :violin: smilie. :unsure:

GO HEAT!!!