Sign in to follow this  
Woble Eth

BMG Music Club - Like their CD quality?

I don't know - maybe it's in my mind. Seems that their CD quality is not as good?

They claim not (of course)

Just curious if others seem to notice it, or maybe it is just me and allergies messing with my ears.

I always thought their cds had a "flat" sound. Also, the volume level always seemed to be a little lower than store bought cds.

I always thought their cds had a "flat" sound. Also, the volume level always seemed to be a little lower than store bought cds.

Exactly!!!!!

I should return my 7 freebies. Seriously. :cheers:

Exactly!!!!!

I should return my 7 freebies. Seriously. :cheers:

How will you know when you get your money back?

How will you know when you get your money back?

When he finds a penny?

i have never noticed any difference. i think it's just your perception.

bmg just sells from the sony/bmg catalog. their discs come from the same pressing runs as the same titles sold in stores...so i don't see how there would be any difference.

:youcrazy:

' date='Jun 6 2006, 09:59 AM' post='2456177']

i have never noticed any difference. i think it's just your perception.

bmg just sells from the sony/bmg catalog. their discs come from the same pressing runs as the same titles sold in stores...so i don't see how there would be any difference.

They do not come from the same pressing runs. Look at the back of a BMG disc, it should say "MFG for BMG by..." and there may not even be a barcode. If there is, it is not the same as a regular production run. Many second hand music stores will not take music club discs for this reason.

FWIW, I buy disc media as my job. There is a huge difference in quality based upon the equipment, resin pellets, # of shots on the tooling, etc.

When he finds a penny?

"Oh, we haven't had any complaints..."

Sending them back as we speak - I WANT MY PENNY!!!!! :headbanger:

They do not come from the same pressing runs. Look at the back of a BMG disc, it should say "MFG for BMG by..." and there may not even be a barcode. If there is, it is not the same as a regular production run. Many second hand music stores will not take music club discs for this reason.

FWIW, I buy disc media as my job. There is a huge difference in quality based upon the equipment, resin pellets, # of shots on the tooling, etc.

the artwork is different. the discs themselves are pressed together. some are packaged for bmg, some are packaged for retail sale.

second hand music stores will not take the bmg discs because they don't have a barcode and can't catalog them (or lookup their buy back value in the case of used cds at chain stores). and they're made this way in the same vein as individual candy bars in a pack are labeled "not for retail sale"...so retailers can't bulk up on the cheap and sell at retail.

the discs themselves (except for the occasional cd-printed graphics) are identical to those in retail stores.

(...this per an acquaintance of mine who works for sony/bmg operations.)

' date='Jun 6 2006, 03:59 PM' post='2456177']

If I had a nickle... :thumbsup:

IMHO, they never sound as good as when they are donwloaded....just sayin..... :wall:

itsatip that iTunes

sh!t, man...if you're gonna download then you should just steal it.

the itunes crap is sub-cd quality...plus the whole copy protection issue.

' date='Jun 6 2006, 10:12 AM' post='2456209']

the discs themselves (except for the occasional cd-printed graphics) are identical to those in retail stores.

(...this per an acquaintance of mine who works for sony/bmg operations.)

Interesting. Makes me curious on their business model. I.E. - how do they pay royalties to Phillips and the Artists if the discs are "free", yet the production cost is the same.

We (HP) have to be very specific who prints our media (PC Recovery and OS), as the supply base in China can have huge swings in quality based upon the factors I mentioned previously. Microsoft also has a small list of AR's (Approved Replicators) who are allowed to produce their data on disc.

I wasn't sure, again I thought I was just hearing things. I will grab one of the CD's in the store and compare. No sense in sending them back if they are close, or the same as some have claimed.

I am just not sure. Sound quality is real important to me.

:needalifesmilie:

Interesting. Makes me curious on their business model. I.E. - how do they pay royalties to Phillips and the Artists if the discs are "free", yet the production cost is the same.

We (HP) have to be very specific who prints our media (PC Recovery and OS), as the supply base in China can have huge swings in quality based upon the factors I mentioned previously. Microsoft also has a small list of AR's (Approved Replicators) who are allowed to produce their data on disc.

in reading what you've said...i'm not so sure i'm right in what i believe...

in a semi-related point: chinese suppliers :headbanger:

I don't know - maybe it's in my mind. Seems that their CD quality is not as good?

They claim not (of course)

Just curious if others seem to notice it, or maybe it is just me and allergies messing with my ears.

Take a bmg cd & compare it to a store cd & you will see the difference :huh:

Take a bmg cd & compare it to a store cd & you will see the difference :lol:

Will do. I will try and unload the BMG discs in the process - I thought something didn't sound quite right.

Korn must be LOUD. :lol:

Will do. I will try and unload the BMG discs in the process - I thought something didn't sound quite right.

Korn must be LOUD. :rolleyes:

The "Columbia House" cassettes used to sound so much crappier than store-bought ones (which were pretty crappy themselves - I stuck with vinyl) back in the 80's, so I'm not surprised it's still the same way with CD's. Sounds like they don't take care with compression, etc. in the CD remastering process.

The "Columbia House" cassettes used to sound so much crappier than store-bought ones (which were pretty crappy themselves - I stuck with vinyl) back in the 80's, so I'm not surprised it's still the same way with CD's. Sounds like they don't take care with compression, etc. in the CD remastering process.

Got in the car and turned on Korn's Greatest Hits (have others but wanted the GH for a GREAT version of Cameo's "Word Up" - classic) - sounded like it was something you would record cheaply - no high end at all. Like NewbieJr claimed - "flat"...

They're going back.

And if they think I am paying shipping.... :D

"Falling.. falling a-way from me... "