Sign in to follow this  
naomi

(Dumb) questions about the world cup

It's like a series of games right? For the final two teams, is it a best out of # deal, or one ultimate game.

What's happening tommorow?

It's like a series of games right? For the final two teams, is it a best out of # deal, or one ultimate game.

What's happening tommorow?

Process of elimination, not unlike olympic hockey. <_<

After 2 years of qualifying in continental groups (the host and the winner of the last WC are exempt), the top 32 teams play a round robin in 8 groups (ie, each team plays the other 3 in its group once).

The top 2 in each group advance to the knockout rounds. Lose and you're out, including the final (one game).

Thanks :cry: Googled anyway and got on FIFA's site, looking for the last game. I thought maybe it was tommorow.

Thanks :cry: Googled anyway and got on FIFA's site, looking for the last game. I thought maybe it was tommorow.

FIRST game tomorrow, last game July 9, I think. Soccer's recovery time for players is just a bit less than football's, longer than hockey or basketball (or baseball, obviously).

FIRST game tomorrow, last game July 9, I think. Soccer's recovery time for players is just a bit less than football's, longer than hockey or basketball (or baseball, obviously).

It figures that torrid is into soccer.

Commie sport

Alright, now I'm set and didn't really have to bother reading through stuff. :cry:

Merci :D

It figures that torrid is into soccer.

Commie sport

the best countries in the world at soccer are mostly democracies. Call me a nancypants Europhag. Commie really doesn't work in this context.

Alright, now I'm set and didn't really have to bother reading through stuff. :cry:

Merci :D

Did you roll the "r"? :ninja:

After 2 years of qualifying in continental groups (the host and the winner of the last WC are exempt), the top 32 teams play a round robin in 8 groups (ie, each team plays the other 3 in its group once).

The top 2 in each group advance to the knockout rounds. Lose and you're out, including the final (one game).

minor correction. the last world cup winner is not exempt anymore. only the host is exempt now.

other then that, your explaination is good

the best countries in the world at soccer are mostly democracies. Call me a nancypants Europhag. Commie really doesn't work in this context.

It's an old joke. :cry:

P.S. You are a nancypants Europhag

minor correction. the last world cup winner is not exempt anymore. only the host is exempt now.

Torrid wrong! Umpossible! :cry:

shiat, really? Was that true in 2002? Shiat, now that I think about it, it may have been...but that was definitely the first time, right?

shiat, really? Was that true in 2002? Shiat, now that I think about it, it may have been...but that was definitely the first time, right?

in 2002, both the host and previous winner were exempt. this world cup is the first time they're doing it that the previous winner has to still qualify, i.e. brazil.

if you cant tell, i cant wait for this thing to start tomorrow

portugal :unsure:

in 2002, both the host and previous winner were exempt. this world cup is the first time they're doing it that the previous winner has to still qualify, i.e. brazil.

if you cant tell, i cant wait for this thing to start tomorrow

portugal :unsure:

Cool--so I didn't watch any World Cup matches thinking the champ was exempt when they're not. :lol:

i work with a lot of german engineers...i hung up a costa rican flag w/ a "No Ballack" caption

:unsure:

can't wait.

this may sound crazy, but germany is one favorite i could see not making it out of the first round. they're a little old, ballack is out, and there is alot of termoil between klingsman (the coach) and the players.

would i bet on this happening? no, but i wouldn't be surprise either if they did get knocked out early

arent we the only country that calls it soccer??

its football..whether we like that or not...

the nfl is american football...

i will be watching my games on Telemundo..even though I cant understand all of the Spanish, its much smoother...

and like CBC is to hockey..the coverage is MUCH better....

Im pulling for the USA and no racial riots...