Sign in to follow this  
nlgb1

What RB to take at #4?

What RB to take at #4?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Portis or Barber?

• Clinton Portis
    • Tiki Barber

vote and explain why......it will help me a lot, and im sure it will help a lot of others.....

1pt per 10yds rushing/receiving

4pt per pass td

6pt per rush/catch td

bonus points for 100+ yd games and long tds

-1 point lost fumble

no ppr

vote and explain why......it will help me a lot, and im sure it will help a lot of others.....

Tiki is older and on the wrong side of 30 . . . don't wait until he slides until you stop picking him; the time is now,

take Portis . . .

Edge. Arizona gave the guy big $$$ and Dennis Green knows what an asset he has. The guys gonna get a ton of carries and the rock at the goaline. What are defenses gonna try to stop, the passing game or the running game. I think the talent that Arizona has at the key offensive positions is only gonna help everyone's numbers. Some other owners may disagree with me here, but Id be very happy to have Edge in the first round this year.

Edge. Arizona gave the guy big $$$ and Dennis Green knows what an asset he has. The guys gonna get a ton of carries and the rock at the goaline. What are defenses gonna try to stop, the passing game or the running game. I think the talent that Arizona has at the key offensive positions is only gonna help everyone's numbers. Some other owners may disagree with me here, but Id be very happy to have Edge in the first round this year.

Arizona's OL was horrible last year, so barring a miracle, it won't be above average this year . . .

Edge is a very good back BUT

1) he is not a good goal-line/ short yardage back, and the Colts were last in the league in # of rushes that exceeded 10 yds last year . . .

you cant' pick Edge at #4 for those reasons . . .

Arizona's OL was horrible last year, so barring a miracle, it won't be above average this year . . .

1) he is not a good goal-line/ short yardage back, and the Colts were last in the league in # of rushes that exceeded 10 yds last year . . .

BLOW ME !!!!!! :banana:

I will pile on with the Edge argument. If you watched any Indy games last year, you would

know that James cannot take it the distance and gets most of his yards in carries less than

8 yards. A lot of his yards were also gained when the Colts were ahead in the game - Edge

will struggle in Arizona, but still rank in the top 12.

I have #5 and will just take the leftovers of Portis and Barber and will entertain Edge if they show something in the preseason.

im still not sure tho

here is my reasoning:

1.i always underestimate tiki and it comes back to bite me in the @$$

2.both play on good teams and will be ahead often...but because of NYG's better passing offense, tiki will definitely get more touches (catching/rush)

3.i consider tiki a lock for 1700+ total yds

4.clinton has an aging line

5.WAS may have a more passing oriented offense now w/ more weapons

That quote doesn't make sense. He is not a great short yardage back but the colts were last in # of rushes exeeding 10 yards? I beleieve the second statement but that would mean Edge is a great medium to short yardage back right? I mean the guy did gain 1506 yards on the ground.

Gimme Portis.

I realize Tiki's been proving people wrong for a couple of years but his time is getting short and I don't want to be the guy with him when he derails. Portis has so much going for him. His coaching staff, his line is getting to be one of the better lines in the NFL, he gets the ball at the goal line, he's fast and quick, he's a good receiver, and he's still young.

I would take Portis. He got so many factors showing hes going to have a great year. You can't bash Tiki either. Its a hard choice but I would take portis since a) hes younger and :mad: Tiki gets pulled on the goal liners.

IMO, Tiki is "safer". You know he'll get 1700+total yards. His TD fluctuation will be the "X" factor in determining if he's among the elite #1's or a very good #2.

Portis is more of a boom/bust. He has a chance to be THE elite fantasy RB this year but he doesn't chew up yardage like Tiki and therefore doesn't pad his stats quite as well on "off" days.

portis ---> because of his upside. he had a strong 2nd half last year. age. skins love to run the ball.

Portis. No question. In New York, Brandon Jacobs will get all carries inside the 5 yard line.

i like portis better, even though tiki always seems to get his solid numbers. tikis schedule is brutal this year, and i just think portis will improve with the al saunders offense.

That quote doesn't make sense. He is not a great short yardage back but the colts were last in # of rushes exeeding 10 yards? I beleieve the second statement but that would mean Edge is a great medium to short yardage back right? I mean the guy did gain 1506 yards on the ground.

It does make sense . . . if you watch the games, you will see that Edge usually gets you 4 to 6 yards . . . few long gains, and few short ones . . . the Colts were below average in completing 3rd and short, and 4th and short situations

IMO, Tiki is "safer". You know he'll get 1700+total yards. His TD fluctuation will be the "X" factor in determining if he's among the elite #1's or a very good #2.

Portis is more of a boom/bust. He has a chance to be THE elite fantasy RB this year but he doesn't chew up yardage like Tiki and therefore doesn't pad his stats quite as well on "off" days.

No back over 30 is "safe" . . . the wheels have to come off at some point . . .

everyone seemed to dis him somewhat again last year and i took him...i can't remember where i picked him last year though...he rocked and was fun to watch week after week. i am more afraid of brunel getting hurt and defense's stacking the line to stop portis than i am worried that tiki is 31. brunel is what 35 or 36, i don't see him putting up last year's number's. you still have to key on portis and make the aging brunel beat you.

besides i pick with my heart a lot instead of my brain...which is why i lose every year!

flipside conventional wisdom tells you to pick portis. how many championships have you won doing what the majority tells you to do?

everyone seemed to dis him somewhat again last year and i took him...i can't remember where i picked him last year though...he rocked and was fun to watch week after week. i am more afraid of brunel getting hurt and defense's stacking the line to stop portis than i am worried that tiki is 31. brunel is what 35 or 36, i don't see him putting up last year's number's. you still have to key on portis and make the aging brunel beat you.

besides i pick with my heart a lot instead of my brain...which is why i lose every year!

flipside conventional wisdom tells you to pick portis. how many championships have you won doing what the majority tells you to do?

Conventional wisdom tells you to pick Barber or Portis . . . if you want to defy the masses, you need to pick someone else . . .

Go with Portis...Why?? Al Saunders

Although Saunders has stated he really likes Betts and maybe Betts will steal some carries so that is something to watch...

4pt per pass td

6pt per rush/catch td

-1 point lost fumble

no ppr

Tiki may be on the wrong side of 30, but don't forget that he hasn't had the wear and tear that other feature backs have had by that age...if they make it that long. Edge has carried the rock far more times than Tiki. And LT and SA are only about a half season's worth of carries behind Tiki.

I know people think of Tiki as a PPR back, but he did rush for 1800+ last year. 1500 the year prior. He just doesn't get the TD's that other backs get.

Having said all that...I'd take Portis. I always get burned by the older players.

4pt per pass td

6pt per rush/catch td

-1 point lost fumble

no ppr

Why did I pick Clinton Portis? Because Coughlin f*cked me everytime the Giants got inside the 5 yrd line by putting in Brandon Jacobs. Here's an interesting stat for you ... last game of the season, Tiki busts out for 200 yards, but no TD's. He may have had a couple of catches but the important thing is that he had 0 TD's. For his excellent 200 yard performance, I was rewarded with 10 points. That's bush league ... if I want 10 points, I can put in Dunn or Stephen Jackson.

Why did I pick Clinton Portis? Because Coughlin f*cked me everytime the Giants got inside the 5 yrd line by putting in Brandon Jacobs. Here's an interesting stat for you ... last game of the season, Tiki busts out for 200 yards, but no TD's. He may have had a couple of catches but the important thing is that he had 0 TD's. For his excellent 200 yard performance, I was rewarded with 10 points. That's bush league ... if I want 10 points, I can put in Dunn or Stephen Jackson.

thats one gay league

I got $20 you pick Tiki #1 this year. :cry:

I have recently debated taking Portis with the third pick. he has an incredible offensive line, and receivers that can stretch the field. His new offensive coordinator has a long history of producing elite running backs. He has a qb that gets rid of the ball quickly, and looks to portis for screan passes or short dump offs often.

Sure he is, you crack pipe smoking mo-fo :thumbsup:

If he can stay healthy, he very well could. At his current pace, he'll do it about half way through his 12th season.

You really can't go wrong here, but I'll take Portis. Tiki is at an age where many elite RBs have fallen off the table. While I don't think he will completely implode this year, he does face a pretty tough schedule and the presence of Brandon Jacobs at the goal-line makes me give the nod to Portis. TDs are the name of the game in non-ppr leagues.

My stock response to these types of posts:

"If you can't decide in the first round (fourth overall none the less), how the hell do you expect to get through rounds 2,3,4,5,6,7? Does the draft just come to a screeching halt whenever you pick?"

In a point per reception league, TIKI is the pick.

No point per reception - Portis.

Is this the crux of the matter? Do any of the Portis fans think you should still take Portis 4 in a PPR league?

Barber gets about 300 more receiving yards than most Rbs. That alone is worth 5 TDs. Don't underestimate yardage on your week to week scoring.

I am not saying I would pick Barber first, haven't decided, but don't ignore 2000 combined yards just cause Jacobs steels a few TDs

How many more points does Barber get just on receiving yards than Portis?

My stock response to these types of posts:

"If you can't decide in the first round (fourth overall none the less), how the hell do you expect to get through rounds 2,3,4,5,6,7? Does the draft just come to a screeching halt whenever you pick?"

your completely missing the point to my post

im not sure if your familiar with the process of tiering to prepare for a draft, but ill give you a run down anyway. basically you separate players at each position into sections of similarly producing players to help decide who to take at each position at a given point in the draft.

i have SA LJ and LT in first tier in that order

tiki and clinton are alone in the second tier of RB's but im not exactly sure what order to put them in.

see, i was asking for others opinion to help me decide on who to take in a win-win situation. i thought that was the point of forums

(Hint: dont try and make witty comments to make others look stupid, just makes you look like a fun spoiling idiot.)

your completely missing the point to my post

im not sure if your familiar with the process of tiering to prepare for a draft, but ill give you a run down anyway. basically you separate players at each position into sections of similarly producing players to help decide who to take at each position at a given point in the draft.

i have SA LJ and LT in first tier in that order

tiki and clinton are alone in the second tier of RB's but im not exactly sure what order to put them in.

see, i was asking for others opinion to help me decide on who to take in a win-win situation. i thought that was the point of forums

(Hint: dont try and make witty comments to make others look stupid, just makes you look like a fun spoiling idiot.)

Umm, I'm not sure if YOU are familiar with the process of tiering. To be put in the same tier, like you said, there is an expectation of similar production...similar to the point that, for all intents and purposes, those players are equal. Therefore, due to that equality, you don't apply a relative ranking to the players in that tier. By the very nature of a tiering system, if you feel that there is a reason to rank one player higher than another in the same tier, they don't belong together in that tier.

I'd go Tiki. He catches more passes and is on a better offense. I can't believe he is being out voted by Portis 4 to 1. I guess Portis just has more flash. Maybe Tiki should start dressing up for his pressers.

I'd go Tiki. He catches more passes and is on a better offense. I can't believe he is being out voted by Portis 4 to 1. I guess Portis just has more flash. Maybe Tiki should start dressing up for his pressers.

yea i only chose portis because of his clothes and press costumes, tiki just doesnt do that and thats what im looking for.

not really

If you know me you know i like playoff match ups.i am talking about week 15 & 16.both RB's play NO 27th run def.NYG also play PHI 21st run def.WAS plays STL 28th run def.both have good playoff match ups.so this makes them both look even better.