Sign in to follow this  
Red White and Blue

Pennsylvania approves minimum wage increase

It's semantics that you want to change the fundamental definition of a word? :banana:

you are squarely in meathamedjoe territory, dood.

also,

-80-

It's semantics that you want to change the fundamental definition of a word? :banana:

Strike, I'm done. Clearly you want to get hung up on semantics and trade personal insults because you don't want to speak to the point. Your opinions are like mental diarrhea and they're not even worth discussing. No I don't think that everyone who disagrees with me is a fool so long as there's some thought behind their beliefs. You just sound like a kinda dense person who doesn't know why he thinks what he thinks but gets angry and prideful when you test him on it. I'm sure torrid will be around later and you and surferskid can beg for his attention, I've got better things to do then supervise you.

Strike, I'm done. Clearly you want to get hung up on semantics and trade personal insults because you don't want to speak to the point. Your opinions are like mental diarrhea and they're not even worth discussing. No I don't think that everyone who disagrees with me is a fool so long as there's some thought behind their beliefs. You just sound like a kinda dense person who doesn't know why he thinks what he thinks but gets angry and prideful when you test him on it. I'm sure torrid will be around later and you and surferskid can beg for his attention, I've got better things to do then supervise you.

that's a good start...go earn that $5.15 today. :banana:

I think it's hysterical to see how many Geeks have been brainwashed by silly right-wing talking points and anecdotes about how the local burger joint is gonna fold if we raise the minimum wage. It's seven dollars an hour people! The Republican spin machine has been so effective at turning the middle classes against the lower class while the rich rip you off. You guys will whine and cry about a modest cost-of-living increase for the lowest wage workers but I don't hear word one from you about the estimated $300 billion appropriated for the war in Iraq. What do you think is going to ultimately end up costing you more? Your average CEO salary is now something like 800 times the wage of the average worker - I'm not losing sleep at night worrying about Colonel Sanders laying off dishwashers or raising the cost of wings to some prohibitive rate. If a few sloppy businesses that have been carrying unnecessary staff need to lay off some workers or go under, who cares? It's dead weight.

But like I said, I'll keep an eye on the unemployment in PA and if there's some sharp spike in inflation or unemployment, out of step with other states, I'll consider that maybe the min. wage increase wasn't such a good idea. But if there aren't mass layoffs or $6 burgers I know some of you would never, ever stop your chicken little whining.

Funny how you insult us "brainwashed" neocons, yet your argument is not terribly well thought out. Who is talking about weeding out dead weight? Business should do that independent of wages. A more appropriate impact of the increase is a reduction in workers with an equivalent total labor cost. This can have many ramifications, including lost jobs (obviously), lower productivity, businesses closing, etc. Some of us think the market should set such wages. That doesn't make us ignorant, just of a different opinion.

Funny how you insult us "brainwashed" neocons, yet your argument is not terribly well thought out. Who is talking about weeding out dead weight? Business should do that independent of wages. A more appropriate impact of the increase is a reduction in workers with an equivalent total labor cost. This can have many ramifications, including lost jobs (obviously), lower productivity, businesses closing, etc. Some of us think the market should set such wages. That doesn't make us ignorant, just of a different opinion.

I spelled my position out in several earlier posts. We're just getting hung up on name-calling and bullsh1t now because that's all surferskid, Toro, kpbuckeye, etc. have to offer. I can't tell one of them apart from the others.

My point is that all smart businesses, especially the low wage ones, have already weeded out the dead weight. Your local 7-11 or BK already employs exactly as many workers as it needs in order to produce a prduct that people are willing to pay for - no more no less.

Some inefficient businesses might be forced to let unnecessary staff go - is that a bad thing? Most businesses are already employing the right number of people and couldn't afford to reduce staff. McDonald's is not going to lay off cashiers because consumers are not willing to wait another 5 or 10 minutes for their Big Macs. McDonald's is not going to pawn all of that cost off onto consumers because people are not willing to pay $6 for a burger.

Market demand determines cost, not outlay. I don't pay more for food because my local grocer's gas bill got higher. I'm not going to pay more because he has to pay his workers a better living wage.

I spelled my position out in several earlier posts. We're just getting hung up on name-calling and bullsh1t now because that's all surferskid, Toro, kpbuckeye, etc. have to offer. I can't tell one of them apart from the others.

My point is that all smart businesses, especially the low wage ones, have already weeded out the dead weight. Your local 7-11 or BK already employs exactly as many workers as it needs in order to produce a prduct that people are willing to pay for - no more no less.

Some inefficient businesses might be forced to let unnecessary staff go - is that a bad thing? Most businesses are already employing the right number of people and couldn't afford to reduce staff. McDonald's is not going to lay off cashiers because consumers are not willing to wait another 5 or 10 minutes for their Big Macs. McDonald's is not going to pawn all of that cost off onto consumers because people are not willing to pay $6 for a burger.

Market demand determines cost, not outlay. I don't pay more for food because my local grocer's gas bill got higher. I'm not going to pay more because he has to pay his workers a better living wage.

You mean market determines price, not cost.

The fundamental difference is whether or not you believe the government should artificially set market wages. If your argument is true, then you would also support an increase to $50/hr. Wait, you'll say, that is too high. I disagree. The proposed increase will not have the same impact as an increase to $50, but it is just a matter of degrees. You seem to have some pollyanna belief that the proposed magical number will not have adverse economic impacts, rather it will just take fat out of the bloated CEO salaries. The real world doesn't work that way. Sorry.

I don't pay more for food because my local grocer's gas bill got higher.

i feel you are severely mistaken on this point.

i feel you are severely mistaken on this point.

Depends on the commodity in question and where the power lies: customer or supplier.

We got hit with frieght increases and cost increases on the resin used for plastic notebook components due to oil, yet have not passed on a cent in cost to our customers via price increase.

We ate the increases OR forced our suppliers to do so.

I am amazed at the bile I see on these boards when someone mentions raising the minimum wage of the poorest of the full-time working poor by a paltry $500 a year...yet barely a peep was heard when our beloved Congress gave itself a $3300/year raise. Simply incredible.

So this somehow makes you superior to those of us who cannot afford for 1 parent to stay home?

That is a myth.

One parent can stay home on just about any income.You just have to decide what is more important,that new car or strangers raising your kids.HTH

My child never went to daycare either. However, neither of us were forced into that situation. We chose it. Because we could.

Not everyone has all of the choices in life that you and I have had. We are the fortunate ones.

And just because a business can't afford high salaries, doesn't mean they don't contribute to society.

You, I'm sure, would value the quality and affordability of good daycare, if you HAD to use one. I'm saying that nobody should be forced to CHOOSE between time with their family and putting food on the table.

Were you a stay at home dad? Or did you sacrafice time with your wife, working opposite schedules, to avoid sending your kids to daycare? Or was your wife the one who stayed home with the kids?

Not critical, just curious.

Yes I am.After the baby came,the wife made more than me,so she kept working fulltime,and I went part-time a couple of days a week,on second shift.But that didn't last long.

Yada Yada Yada

We are VERY poor now(my wife now makes less than 7 bucks an hour for the last 2 years),but it is called sacrafice for a reason.

That is a myth.

One parent can stay home on just about any income.You just have to decide what is more important,that new car or strangers raising your kids.HTH

OR repaying student loans, wife's pre marrage debt, medical expenses, etc. etc. etc.

Why I feel a need to justify myself to you is beyond me, but keep assuming "toys" matter more to many of us than childcare, assmeg

:wub:

OR repaying student loans, wife's pre marrage debt, medical expenses, etc. etc. etc.

Why I feel a need to justify myself to you is beyond me, but keep assuming "toys" matter more to many of us than childcare, assmeg

:P

What,you don't think I have any of that???

Well if you said yes,then your wrong.

Both parents do NOT have to work.The only choose to work for all the extras.

I drive a dodge truck that is over 20 years old.Fock my newest car is a 1995 I paid 1200 bucks for.

We hardly ever go out to eat.3 times a year,maybe,if we have an extra 20 dollar bill for three people.

I didn't get a new XBOX 360 either.

It took me almost a year to save up enough money to buy a focking stick of memory for my PC.

My rain wipers on my truck have not worked for more than a year.

I can go on and on,but I will spare everybody.I'm not looking for a pity party.

I am just pointing out that it can be done,on a very small income,assmeg.

You want to warehouse your children and let others raise them,go right ahead.We wanted to raise our own child.

Yes I am.After the baby came,the wife made more than me,so she kept working fulltime,and I went part-time a couple of days a week,on second shift.But that didn't last long.

Yada Yada Yada

We are VERY poor now(my wife now makes less than 7 bucks an hour for the last 2 years),but it is called sacrafice for a reason.

You should "sacrafice" your Internet connection in favor of new shoes for your kid. :cheers:

You should "sacrafice" your Internet connection in favor of new shoes for your kid. :blink:

We just got him a new pair of Darth Vader shoes 2 weeks ago. :blink:

At Walmart :lol: