Sign in to follow this  
enjoi525

drafting from the 12 spot

Ok, so your drafting from the 12 spot in a 12 man league. you got a guy like rudi johnson or caddy with the 12 pick but when your up at 2.01 there are only guys like dd, westbrook, and mcgahee available. You have the chance to take the elite wr like steve smith, TO, and holt. What do you do?

go with a rb, i took r moss w/ the 2.02 pick and javon walker at 3.11 last season and had dillon & cadillac as my starting rb's :unsure: ....somehow i still made the playoffs :thumbsup:

go with the value--->stud WR over avg. RB.

i know you can bust on this like the previous post but the fact is you can bust on a RB too. id rather take my chances with value based drafting.

3 scenerios based on footballguys.com adp & fftodays projected points.

1.12 caddy 201 ssmith 212 caddy 201

2.1 ddavis 200 cjohnson 188 ssmith 212

3.12 djackson 162 dfoster 168 djackson 162

4.1 smoss 144 tbell 178 tbell 178

total 707 746 753

Heap & Bulger available @ 5.12 & 6.1

whaddaya think?

I am mocking the 12 spot right now. I went caddy and dd with the first 2 picks. we'll see how it turns out ill post the whole draft when it finishes.

I am mocking the 12 spot right now. I went caddy and dd with the first 2 picks. we'll see how it turns out ill post the whole draft when it finishes.

Westbrook would have been a nicer round 2 pick, but that's beside the point, and an opinion. Here is another one. I would definitly go Rb in the second round, as the wideout crop is very deep. If you go get that good Wr now, in round 2, you won't even likely get a solid #2 rb like Dunn. You will have to settle on an RBBC type guy, or hope you win out on the Bell, Dayne, Cobb, Sapp, and 20 other back derby in Denver.

i agree on taking 2 rb's first because of the drop off. almost everything i've seen though on westbrook going 2.01 is way to early for him. both are injury prone but i think with the denver system in houston, dd could do very well if healthy. The question on westbrook is can he carry a full load? He was getting hurt when he was getting less carries now how is he not going to get hurt getting more?

i think mcgahee is a great back but the real problem is his offensive line and qb. The line cant block well and the qb won't be taking the pressure off of him. opposing defenses are just going to stack the box with guys and you will see the same thing as last year.

What if those top RBs are all taken and you are stuck with this scenario:

1.12 - McGahee, Westbrook, Manning, Smith, or other top WR of your choice

2.1 - Westbrook, Manning, Smith, or other top WR of your choice

There are 11 top backs that I wouldn't question taking before say Manning or Smith, but what happens when they are all taken before that 12th pick? I wonder how it plays out in rounds 3-6 if you do pull the trigger on Smith/Manning, or McGahee/Manning, McGahee/Westbrook, or McGahee/Smith. Anyone seen this happen yet?

It looks like Seahawks had some decent options (not great or good, but decent) after taking QB/WR at 12. It looked like he paniced after that though.

Anyone else have any sample mocks they did at 12 where the top 11 went all RB? I think after Cadillac there is a large drop to Westbrook/McGahee.

i agree on taking 2 rb's first because of the drop off. almost everything i've seen though on westbrook going 2.01 is way to early for him. both are injury prone but i think with the denver system in houston, dd could do very well if healthy. The question on westbrook is can he carry a full load? He was getting hurt when he was getting less carries now how is he not going to get hurt getting more?

To mention injury concerns about Westbrook, and then draft Dom is really kind of ironic, especially when one of them is currently healthy, and the other reaggrevated an injury during walk through.

To mention injury concerns about Westbrook, and then draft Dom is really kind of ironic.

I said both are injury prone but i believe that dd has more upside in that system and westbrook is even more likely to injured with more workload.

It looks like Seahawks had some decent options (not great or good, but decent) after taking QB/WR at 12. It looked like he paniced after that though.

Anyone else have any sample mocks they did at 12 where the top 11 went all RB? I think after Cadillac there is a large drop to Westbrook/McGahee.

I completely agree that there is a BIG drop after the the top 11 rbs of LJ, SA, LT, Tiki, Portis, Edge, SJAX, Lamont, Ronnie, Rudi and Caddy

I drafted 12th recently and went WR/WR after all 11 of the previously mentioned went before me. I should mention that we start 1 rb, 2 wr, 1 flex. I am pretty happy with how my team turned out...

Plummer

Green

Bell

C. Taylor

Rhodes

Maroney

Perry

Norwood

TO

Chad

Keyshawn

Jurevicious

Lelie

Crumpler

Elam

JAX

I said both are injury prone but i believe that dd has more upside in that system and westbrook is even more likely to injured with more workload.

moats will spell westbrook enough to keep him fresh though.

remember the 3 headed monster? buckhalter, staley, westbrook. 3 people splitting the load in pass heavy offense and westbrook still pulls his try and is done. anyways there is no sense in justify this pick because my concerns were really is there a better option in this slot. Well, if manning is availabe and it is a 6pt td league would you take him 1.12 or 2.01 or wait til the laters rounds for someone like bledsoe/warner who could put up big numbers from week to week?

My strategy in that position is always bookmark solid RB's.

RB

RB

WR

WR

TE or QB

QB or TE

WR

then I start filling in or take the best D at that point....

K is usually last.

you got a guy like rudi johnson or caddy with the 12 pick but when your up at 2.01 there are only guys like dd, westbrook, and mcgahee available.

:blink:

If everyone goes RB before 12 then Rudi or Caddy shouldn't be there.

I agree DaveJ... your lineup in that scenario would be like: McGahee, Westbrook, Driver, DJax, Heap, Beldsoe, and then probably Muhammed/Glenn/Kennison type WR in the 7th. Frank Gore and some other backs like Chris Brown and the rookies should be there at 8, or if you like Chicago/Carolina they most likely will be there as well.

Ok, so your drafting from the 12 spot in a 12 man league. you got a guy like rudi johnson or caddy with the 12 pick but when your up at 2.01 there are only guys like dd, westbrook, and mcgahee available. You have the chance to take the elite wr like steve smith, TO, and holt. What do you do?

There's no way Rudi or Caddy should be available at 12. If I had 12 this year I would try to trade that slot. Some people like that slot. mcgahee and westy are my picks in that slot right now. this of course can change tomorrow!

remember the 3 headed monster? buckhalter, staley, westbrook. 3 people splitting the load in pass heavy offense and westbrook still pulls his try and is done. anyways there is no sense in justify this pick because my concerns were really is there a better option in this slot. Well, if manning is availabe and it is a 6pt td league would you take him 1.12 or 2.01 or wait til the laters rounds for someone like bledsoe/warner who could put up big numbers from week to week?

Buchalter????? I don't even believe he will be ready to start the season, and talk about injury luck. A healthy McNabb will be the biggest vulture of ground scoring around the end zone. We really have no arguements. Just differences in player opinions. I simply feel westbrook is a safer bet, on a better offense, and better utilized through the air. I agree with Doms potential. It just isn't a good sign, at this point, to still have a nagging injury, with no real work, only a walk through session.

If you can trade up to 10 or 11 (or elsewhere) without giving up much I think that is the best option. Otherwise hope for someone else to take a WR or Manning before you. Otherwise, I take Westbrook and a WR, likely Smith. Davis would be fine to pair with Westbrook if not for the recent injury news.

Edit to add: Make sure to get Moats later to handcuff Westbrook.

You can't sit on one specific strategy. Although 2 solid RBs are nice, there aren't enough of them to go around. Because there aren't enough to go around, people will overvalue one and miss out on some serious impact players. 1.12 can be a nice spot to draft if the right choices are made. Most mocks I see benefit the most when they grab the best available RB and a top player at another position most likely WR. I don't envy you, however.

It really depends on your lineup requirements. The league I commish uses standard scoring + .5 PPR and the lineup is QB RB RB/WR WR TE WR/TE DEF K 8 Bench.

QB Green 7.12

RB Caddy 1.12

RB/WR Horn 5.12

WR C. Johnson 2.1

WR/TE Sant. Moss 3.12

TE Heap 6.1

DEF Seahawks 10.1

K Longwell 16.1

Bench Addai 4.1

Bench Evans 8.1

Bench C. Perry 9.12

Bench Michael Clayton 11.12

Bench Volek 12.1

Bench Watson 13.12

Bench Betts 14.1

Bench Redskins 15.12

Heap was a big mistake at 6. I should've taken Gore and still gotten Crumpler at 7 or 8 and I would've been able to snag a better backup QB with my 9.12. If you don't have to start 2 RBs, then I think it's better to go RB, WR with your first two picks if your drafting 12th.

i don't play ppr. i start 2 rbs, 3 wr, 1 te. i think crumpler may be a mistake this year with his shoulder surgery.

if you want a top wr, you have to take a wr there. if you are fine with 2 good backs and a guy like s. moss or wayne or roy (which is the way i'd probably go)

I'd think that starting out RB-RB would be the best option at the 12th spot. You can certainly get a tandem of Cadillac Williams-Domanick Davis (or Willis McGahee) to start out with. Then at 3.12 and 4.01, go WR-WR with Hines Ward and Chris Chambers (or Plaxico Burress).

That's a rather good start; fill in say Matt Hasselbeck at 5.12 and you're looking good IMHO.

I drafted last night in a haha league. here's how i did

1. (12) B. Westbrook RB

2. (13) R. Brown RB

3. (36) Ro. Williams WR

4. (37) W. Dunn RB

5. (60) Ro. Smith WR

6. (61) D. Mason WR

7. (84) J. Delhomme QB

8. (85) D. Stallworth WR

9. (108) B. Watson TE

10. (109) D. Bledsoe QB

11. (132) J. Peppers DL