Sign in to follow this  
DaWeffa

10 or 12 team league..

Been running a league for 5 seasons now, and we started with 10 teams did one season of 12 teams adn back to ten again....found that with 12 teams it is harder to get anything on the wire but with 10 teams the challenge isnt all that great...

which do you prefer and why?

I think more luck is involved with 10, I prefer 12 myself. You can almost field a starting lineup off the wire in a 10 teamer.

I think it has more to do with the owners and the scoring. I have been in two 10 team leagues, one was great the other sucked. The good one had involved owners, we started 2 QB's, 3 RB's, 3 WR's, 1 TE and 2 Flex (including QB's - but don't ask). The other was the standard 2, 2, 2, 1, 1 set-up and though the owners were fairly involved, it seemed more luck than skill. I have seen 12 teamers work the same way. The last 3 years I have been in a 14 team re-draft. Though it has presented the most challenge, it seems half the league has idiots who can't draft/draft poorly (of course that was me last year with Deuce, J Jones, K Jones and Clayton) and give up early in the year.

More teams = more importance on depth = more skill involved

But, in the end, it's a matter of personal preference. Of course, it's going to be easier to win a 10-team league because there are less teams competing. I was a math major in college, so I'm qualified to make statements like that.

I prefer 12 - everyone doesn't have a team of all-stars. Who you draft, especially late, makes a difference.

The more owners in the league, the more active the owners will be which I really like. Twelve teams would be more fun.

My league is fourteen. While I think fourteen is almost too many, I think 12 isn't enough. But with fourteen if you need a player, you have to make some trades and/or really watch the free agent market. I feel as though all my owners really pay attention which makes for a more enjoyable league.

I like the rosters of the 10 man league. Like you said, there's a little more depth to the free agent pool, and overall teams can be stacked up a little stronger, but I prefer the 12 man league because its generally a little greater challenge. We extend the playoffs in one 12 team league Im in, so that division champs get a bye, so its cool having 3 rounds of playoffs.

I played in one 10 team league, one 12 team, and one 14 team.

10 team - My squad looked like a pro-bowl team. Each squad was stacked and it was just a shoot out. No need to play matchups as much because everyone was solid. Waiver wire was easy to get replacements.

12 team - Good balance. Still some pickups on WW. You had less depth at RB and your 3rd WR could be a dud, but that makes you play matchups more hoping to get some big games out of certain slots

14 team - Fricken tough to field 3 really solid WR's. RB depth is tough too. Last year ended up with Reggie Brown and Ernest Wilford picking up the slack along with CJ and Kennison.

12 is ideal. I'd rather do 14 then 10, more challenge.

I've played in both 10 & 12 team leagues every year for the past 5.

I like the 10 team league better, BUT that is because we haver alot of rules and regs that you don't see in many leagues. We also have IDP which for me makes it more interesting.

My 12 team is a straight forward league with nothing out of the ordinary. It's tough but just not as interesting to me.

I've played in both 10 & 12 team leagues every year for the past 5.

I like the 10 team league better, BUT that is because we haver alot of rules and regs that you don't see in many leagues. We also have IDP which for me makes it more interesting.

My 12 team is a straight forward league with nothing out of the ordinary. It's tough but just not as interesting to me.

Pretty much the same for me. I always did well in my 14 or 12 team leagues, but I never found them as much fun as the 10 person leagues. However, that is probably because the 10 person leagues I am in are only friends, and nothing else.

But, we also have IDP, which I love and I find it annoying to play in leagues with out IDP.

I am multiple leagues, with 10,12,14,16 owners. It's all relative to the level of your competition. And how many pigeons are in your league so that you can win some nice cash.

I'm not sure what makes 10 team leagues "too easy". If your roster looks better due to fewer owners then your opponents roster each week will look better too. We usually run 12,. We are transitioning to Dynasty this year, and I want to run 10 due to our solid core of returning players.

Also, if you run 10 teams the schedule has nice symetry with 2 divisions. Each team plays divisional opponents twice, and non-divisional teams once. You can't do that with a 12 team league and hold to a 13 games schedule.

thanks for the input ladies!!! greatly appreciated....next question though...i have noticed that most of you mention divisions....i also thought about doing this too....how do they work (i am not stupid...in theory i know how they work) so i guess my question is does it make the league any more fair or fun? what is the benefit of divisions in fantasy...i almost feel like there should be a 10 v 10 with the best team wins, but i think the idea of divisions is cool, and I would like to try it if itr brings a lil competition and is fair for all....more input would be appreciated....

The main reason we are having Divisions is geographic. Half of our league lives in Frankfort, KY the other half in Lexington, KY (about 30 miles apart). This way you play each person geographically closer to you twice. I don't know that it really does anything else other than promote rivalries with teams you are competing with for the first round bye. This will be the first year my league has used them.

thanks for the input ladies!!! greatly appreciated....next question though...i have noticed that most of you mention divisions....i also thought about doing this too....how do they work (i am not stupid...in theory i know how they work) so i guess my question is does it make the league any more fair or fun? what is the benefit of divisions in fantasy...i almost feel like there should be a 10 v 10 with the best team wins, but i think the idea of divisions is cool, and I would like to try it if itr brings a lil competition and is fair for all....more input would be appreciated....

We actually do 4 Divisions of 3 but its really only because we have 3 brand new teams who are expansion with no players so we needed to give them something to shoot for...otherwise we would have 3 4 Team Divisions...6 teams get it...top 2 get Byes in Week 14....4 Division Winners and 2 Wildcards

Name your Divisions somethng witty..We do the Alba, Biel, Simpson and Capshaw Divisions

We do a 14 team league which is awesome. 13 weeks of regular season so you play every team once and only once. We are an IDP league, so most of the team managers in our league are pretty savy.

QB

RB

WR

WR

TE

WR/RB

K

DL

DL

DB

DB

D

i like 12 the best, takes much more skill in the draft....more competitive

knowing the names of all the 3rd and 4th string nobodys around the league doesn't take skill .... :mellow:

Guest Johnny Holmes

I prefer at least 12 teams.