Sign in to follow this  
hawk82

Jones (Bears) - This is my offense....

I agree...TJ is getting screwed...dude produces. The Bears management are a bunch of jerk offs. :dunno:

This reaks of ownership/GM politics going on and Lovie Smith is getting caught up in the middle of it. They are trying to push their 1st rd. pick into the starting role somehow, someway. In the end, the Chicago Bears won't know what they had until it's gone. Kinda pathetic.

TJ seems like a pro's pro and is getting pooched hardcore. :headbanger:

This reaks of ownership/GM politics going on and Lovie Smith is getting caught up in the middle of it. They are trying to push their 1st rd. pick into the starting role somehow, someway. In the end, the Chicago Bears won't know what they had until it's gone. Kinda pathetic.

TJ seems like a pro's pro and is getting pooched hardcore. :sleep:

I read it differently. TJ accepted fault for nothing in this article. Everything was someone else's fault. Sounded like another typical selfish pro athlete to me.

I read it differently. TJ accepted fault for nothing in this article. Everything was someone else's fault. Sounded like another typical selfish pro athlete to me.

Fault for what? Thinking he could get a better workout in with a personal trainer as opposed to a voluntary offseason workout? Sounds like he's in excellent shape all year!

it's speculation at best, but I agree with you.

TJones wasn't at the off-season workout so now the guy who was there got bumped ahead of him.

IF TJones would handle it with more maturity and professionalism, he could simply take the coach's slap and play himself back into the feature role.

Can it really be a coincidence that a back as talented as this has been run out of every organization he's played for?

AZ, TB, now CHI - can it really be that all of these orgs are wrong and TJ is right? Or is it that TJ has a piss poor attitude, and after he's already ruined his welcome on those teams he starts talking about how unfair he's being treated, and how he's a team guy and a pro and they're running him out of town and :ninja:

We've heard this exact same whiney crap outta TJ every time he changes teams...holdouts, mysterious preseason "injuries" that keep him out of practice, making his issues public in the media...I think he's a talented back, but I also think he's a cancer.

I'm a little surprised that in his 3rd time pulling this crap, people are still sympathetic towards the guy. Sounds like a selfish bigmouth to me. No wonder teams don't want to keep him/build around him. :dunno:

Fault for what? Thinking he could get a better workout in with a personal trainer as opposed to a voluntary offseason workout? Sounds like he's in excellent shape all year!

For not being there in the offseason. The coaches wanted him there. He wasn't there. Benson, on the other hand, lived there.

it's speculation at best, but I agree with you.

TJones wasn't at the off-season workout so now the guy who was there got bumped ahead of him.

IF TJones would handle it with more maturity and professionalism, he could simply take the coach's slap and play himself back into the feature role.

:dunno:

TJ's been the Bears' offense for the majority of the past two years. He's been the reason the Bears score any points at all.

That being said, it wasn't clear until after last year that he was the man. When the Bears drafted Benson, TJ was still an unknown commodity. 2004 was his first year as the undisputed primary RB, and he missed a couple games due to injury. Given his shoddy performance in his career combined with that injury, the Bears wanted insurance. The 2005 draft was mediocre in terms of top shelf offensive talent, and unfortunately both Ronnie Brown and Braylon Edwards were taken before the Bears could pick. They took Benson because he fit their offense better and because he had a storied football career to that point.

After Jones had a career year last year, it's provided the Bears with an impossible situation. On one hand they have a lesser paid veteran RB who's been their offense over the last two years, and on the other hand they have a highly paid young RB who hasn't proven much of anything yet. As someone said before, I'm sure Lovie is feeling pressured into using Benson more, but the on-field performance of Thomas Jones the last two years is impossible to ignore.

It's just a terrible PR situation for the team with no easy answer.

TJ's been the Bears' offense for the majority of the past two years. He's been the reason the Bears score any points at all.

That being said, it wasn't clear until after last year that he was the man. When the Bears drafted Benson, TJ was still an unknown commodity. 2004 was his first year as the undisputed primary RB, and he missed a couple games due to injury. Given his shoddy performance in his career combined with that injury, the Bears wanted insurance. The 2005 draft was mediocre in terms of top shelf offensive talent, and unfortunately both Ronnie Brown and Braylon Edwards were taken before the Bears could pick. They took Benson because he fit their offense better and because he had a storied football career to that point.

After Jones had a career year last year, it's provided the Bears with an impossible situation. On one hand they have a lesser paid veteran RB who's been their offense over the last two years, and on the other hand they have a highly paid young RB who hasn't proven much of anything yet. As someone said before, I'm sure Lovie is feeling pressured into using Benson more, but the on-field performance of Thomas Jones the last two years is impossible to ignore.

:banana:

Explain to me what TJ has done wrong exactly. He put up very good #'s and did what a team would expect out of their #1 back and yet they reward him with a #2 RB depth chart slap to the face. Maturity? TJ isn't saying anything more or less than anyone who is getting slighted in their job.

A lot of people before last season could say that the Chiefs 1st rd. pick Larry Johnson was better than Priest going into the season but at least Priest didn't lose his job in a classless manner. Management held faith in the incumbent and allowed things to play out. Chicago should be doing the same. Politics I tell ya.

nice sum-up. thanks.

it just seems to me that if TJones decided show some positive attitude and team-leader qualities that it'd be a no-braiiner for the Team to make him the unconditional #1.

The easiest and best solution for CHI and TJones is for Jones to get his head on straight.

For not being there in the offseason. The coaches wanted him there. He wasn't there. Benson, on the other hand, lived there.

:banana:

Make the offseason program "MANDATORY" if you are going to decide who starts based on that. I agree that he should have been there for his team, but he didn't have to be.

I love this. This guy is so full of sh!t. He is a good player but he doesn't give a shat about the team. This is about him wanting more money pure and simple. Let's take a look at his comments:

I didn't do anything to lose my job. I didn't come to the offseason program… love that! He contradicts himself in back to back sentences.

I showed up, and I was running with the second team. Well, with the first team and the second team, but Cedric was going first. waaaaaa mommy Billy gets to go first waaaaaa. Maybe you are behind because you weren't at the offseason program?

I come out here and do what I am asked to do except go to offseason programs the coachs ask you to attend. Since you can do better on your own why go to training camp at all. Since you think you are better off working out on your own why does it matter if you run with the first or second team?

And my personal favorite,

It's sort of a messed-up league because one minute you sign a contract, yeah, but you are outplaying the contract. You are playing like one of the top guys in the league, but you are not getting paid for what you are doing. A messed up league? :banana: It is the best league on the planet idiot. And I didn't see your sorry a$$ refunding AZ any money for under playing your contract!

Make the offseason program "MANDATORY" if you are going to decide who starts based on that. I agree that he should have been there for his team, but he didn't have to be.

you are being naive.

seriously, not attacking you bro... just sayin' that putting on blinders and pretending that players don't understand "how it works" doesn't make your case any stronger.

you look at the guys in the league that are the definitive team leaders, team captains, high priced, high profile guys and you hear about them being at all the "optional" workouts.

It's a bit presumptious and audacious to miss team workouts and also proclaim that it's your offense.

you are being naive.

seriously, not attacking you bro... just sayin' that putting on blinders and pretending that players don't understand "how it works" doesn't make your case any stronger.

you look at the guys in the league that are the definitive team leaders, team captains, high priced, high profile guys and you hear about them being at all the "optional" workouts.

It's a bit presumptious and audacious to miss team workouts and also proclaim that it's your offense.

I agreed that he needed to be there as a teammate. I would have been. You still can't fault him for not coming if it wasn't mandatory. If he came in 20 pounds overweight and out of shape...then maybe. His team knows his workout regimine.

now, now: all loyal bear homers know full well the bears management did NOTHING wrong here.

move along :thumbsup:

I gotta agree with Ryan on this one. It is naive to think that these offseason programs are optional. They weren't even "optional" in my high school practices so TJ does need to accept the fact that he's partly to blame here. It's not like he's got a storied career that warrants a little leniency because he doesn't.

If this is strictly a temporary disciplinary action on the team's part then I could understand it. However, if everything remains the same (TJ doesn't inflame the situation) and Benson is the opening day starter, then this was total politics and a sham.

I gotta agree with Ryan on this one. It is naive to think that these offseason programs are optional. They weren't even "optional" in my high school practices so TJ does need to accept the fact that he's partly to blame here. It's not like he's got a storied career that warrants a little leniency because he doesn't.

If this is strictly a temporary disciplinary action on the team's party then I could understand it. However, if everything remains the same (TJ doesn't inflame the situation) and Benson is the opening day starter, then this was total politics and a sham.

I'd agree with this. I said he should be there and shouldn't lose the starting role. We were suppose to work out 3 days a week in the summer...did everyone do it? Nope, but most of us who wanted to be a better team did!

now, now: all loyal bear homers know full well the bears management did NOTHING wrong here.

How did Bears management do anything wrong? The fact that they made this a RB competition once the offseason started? I can see where there's varying opinions on doing that, but as I said before, both RBs had a strong case to be the starter, albeit Jones a bit moreso because of his on the field performance.

From there, Benson showed up to optional workouts and Jones didn't. They made Benson the starter on the depth chart to prove a point. This should have been a warning to Jones that they want people in there busting their butt from day one. News stories always pop up about stars missing "optional" workouts because it's more the exception than the norm. Optional or not, the dedicated players get in there with the team as soon as they can. The fact was that they were still in a competition regardless of what the depth chart showed at that point.

I again ask how did they handle this wrong? I fault Thomas Jones for not showing up to the optional camps. Either he's smart enough to know that any little thing will win this battle and intentionally didn't show up, or he's a retard and thought by Ced being there and him not that it wouldn't affect anything.

I blame Thomas Jones for his poor attitude. I understand where he's coming from and how he feels slighted, but if he was a true professional he'd be busting his ass from day 1 to win a job that "should" be his.

How did Bears management do anything wrong? The fact that they made this a RB competition once the offseason started? I can see where there's varying opinions on doing that, but as I said before, both RBs had a strong case to be the starter, albeit Jones a bit moreso because of his on the field performance.

From there, Benson showed up to optional workouts and Jones didn't. They made Benson the starter on the depth chart to prove a point. This should have been a warning to Jones that they want people in there busting their butt from day one. News stories always pop up about stars missing "optional" workouts because it's more the exception than the norm. Optional or not, the dedicated players get in there with the team as soon as they can. The fact was that they were still in a competition regardless of what the depth chart showed at that point.

I again ask how did they handle this wrong? I fault Thomas Jones for not showing up to the optional camps. Either he's smart enough to know that any little thing will win this battle and intentionally didn't show up, or he's a retard and thought by Ced being there and him not that it wouldn't affect anything.

I blame Thomas Jones for his poor attitude. I understand where he's coming from and how he feels slighted, but if he was a true professional he'd be busting his ass from day 1 to win a job that "should" be his.

in the end, it's irrelevant what you and i think or whether we agree with each other about it. the main problem is that thomas jones DOES think that management botched the situation.

It's sort of a messed-up league because one minute you sign a contract, yeah, but you are outplaying the contract. You are playing like one of the top guys in the league, but you are not getting paid for what you are doing. A messed up league? :D It is the best league on the planet idiot. And I didn't see your sorry a$$ refunding AZ any money for under playing your contract!

TOTALLY agree with this.

There's no such thing as "outplaying the contract" - all the contract says is that you will get paid X for playing football to whatever capacity you are capable of for a given franchise.

If you play well or poorly, it is 100% irrelevant - the contract is what you agreed to. You will get paid X for the season. If you aren't satisfied with the contract, don't focking sign it. It's that simple. If you believe you're that much better or worth that much more than you're being offered, then learn to negotiate, moron!

But you cannot come back the next season and say, "hey, you know that mutual business agreement that we both signed and I'm legally bound to? I changed my mind - I want more."

That's the very definition of a cacksucking jagoff. :D

If this is strictly a temporary disciplinary action on the team's party then I could understand it. However, if everything remains the same (TJ doesn't inflame the situation) and Benson is the opening day starter, then this was total politics and a sham.

You can't get on Thomas Jones for working out on his own instead of with the team because that has been done by at least 80% of the top players in the league. All the guys from the Miami Hurricanes (Edge etc..) all go work out there together. The top players in the league have their own workouts and when a guy is your top player he runs your offense you let him do his thing. That being said Jones' situation with Benson he should have been there because it gives Benson a chance to be seen while you are not and when there is a legitimate battle for the position all you are doing is giving your competitor the edge.

It's sort of a messed-up league because one minute you sign a contract, yeah, but you are outplaying the contract. You are playing like one of the top guys in the league, but you are not getting paid for what you are doing. A messed up league? :cheers: It is the best league on the planet idiot. And I didn't see your sorry a$$ refunding AZ any money for under playing your contract!

This totally sums it up. TJ, you were a top 10 pick, and you got a lot of cash from t he Cardinals. Then you couldn't win the job, you kept making excuses and had some mysterious breathing ailment that was fixed and going to allow you to be the star you were drafted to be. But, of course, Pittman and Shipp beat you out again, so you got traded to the Bucs for a nobody WR that never played game for the Cards (boy were they glad to get rid of you). In Tampa you rode the pine, contributing as a change of pace back to Pittman, again, then you bust out for 130 yards late in the year against Houston as a starter and you're viewed as the next Priest Holmes. You come to chicago sign a nice contract (two good contracts for a guy who has done Jack $hit in the NFL to that point) , play 14 games with 900 yards your first year, and then break out and have great year last year.

Now you're pissed because you have to prove yourself, and the league is messed up because you "outplayed" your contract.

Nice

the main problem is that thomas jones DOES think that management botched the situation.

Yes, and the main problem I have with Thomas Jones is that he's worrying about something that he shouldn't be worrying about. He can either use this as motivation to have another strong camp and another strong season, or he can cry to the media about how his poor life is crashing down around him. So far, all he's doing is the latter.

Yes, and the main problem I have with Thomas Jones is that he's worrying about something that he shouldn't be worrying about. He can either use this as motivation to have another strong camp and another strong season, or he can cry to the media about how his poor life is crashing down around him. So far, all he's doing is the latter.

my hunch is that after he's done griping he will apply himself and play hard. he wants to prove lovie wrong. and the way to prove him wrong is to work hard and play good.

I think we need some real statistics that shows what percentage of players and who attends "optional" team workouts.

As has been his track record for every team he's played on, and the reason they all have run him out of town.

All this leads me to believe he may actually be a Jet before all is said & done.

And Jets fans would proclaim him the next Priest Holmes....

All this leads me to believe he may actually be a Jet before all is said & done.

I hope not. I want Thomas Jones to shut his mouth, work hard, and win the job. Benson's a good talent, but he just doesn't have the all-around game that TJ does.

TOTALLY agree with this.

There's no such thing as "outplaying the contract" - all the contract says is that you will get paid X for playing football to whatever capacity you are capable of for a given franchise.

If you play well or poorly, it is 100% irrelevant - the contract is what you agreed to. You will get paid X for the season. If you aren't satisfied with the contract, don't focking sign it. It's that simple. If you believe you're that much better or worth that much more than you're being offered, then learn to negotiate, moron!

But you cannot come back the next season and say, "hey, you know that mutual business agreement that we both signed and I'm legally bound to? I changed my mind - I want more."

That's the very definition of a cacksucking jagoff. :D

I don't necessarily disagree with you but players don't like the fact that the teams are not as bound to those contracts as they are. The team can drop you at anytime. That's why guys fight for $$$ up front because as far as the team's concerned, those contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on. The owner's still have the power and it pisses players off sometimes.

I can't help but think that TJ is on his way out of ChiTown. I mean he's a talent, when healthy, but when he knows he's in a battle for the job, for whatever reasons, he's gotta show up and perform to win. He chose not to. With all the preseason RB injuries I think the Bears could be set to get a great deal for him from the Jets especially. Who knows. I just hope they get this shiot straightened out before I have to draft!

You can't get on Thomas Jones for working out on his own instead of with the team because that has been done by at least 80% of the top players in the league. All the guys from the Miami Hurricanes (Edge etc..) all go work out there together. The top players in the league have their own workouts and when a guy is your top player he runs your offense you let him do his thing. That being said Jones' situation with Benson he should have been there because it gives Benson a chance to be seen while you are not and when there is a legitimate battle for the position all you are doing is giving your competitor the edge.

I wouldn't compare TJ to Edge here. Edge is an established commodity while TJ is actually still proving himself in the league. I think sometimes when guys do skip camp it's got to be taken on a case by case basis. There are some cases where it's more important to team chemistry, the starting position, etc. that guys are in camp. I think this may be one of those cases. TJ's supposed to be a team leader.

not for nothing but all this talk of trading TJones is nonsense.

CHI is going to be a defense, run-first team. They need BOTH Benson and Jones.

fantasy loons get upset by the RBBC's but in real football it's pretty good to have two guys that can solidify your ground game.

Jones ain't being traded.

Virtually the same thing happened last year. He felt threatened by Benson, whined about it in the preseason, and eventually shut up and put up. He's feeling like Rodney Dangerfield again. If he produces on the field, he'll be on the field -- unless, I suppose, Benson produces more, but Benson has shown little indication that this will be the case.

And, I agree, Lovey is not going to trade TJ.

Chicago is the worst managed franchise from a player personel perspective...

Just look at their atrocious draft... Daniel Manning a round or two too early.. Devin Hester... They filled no holes..

They have a very capable back, and brought in some hotshot who hasn't proved anything

This whole situation sums up the bears in a nutshell

This whole situation sums up the bears in a nutshell

sad for the NFC North then... the Bears are the cream of that division. :D

I wouldn't compare TJ to Edge here. Edge is an established commodity while TJ is actually still proving himself in the league. I think sometimes when guys do skip camp it's got to be taken on a case by case basis. There are some cases where it's more important to team chemistry, the starting position, etc. that guys are in camp. I think this may be one of those cases. TJ's supposed to be a team leader.

TJ isn't a Lendale White coming into camp out of shape... THe guy is a monster... him or pittman have to be the two most muscular guys in the league for their frame...

Conditioning isn't an issue with TJ... I think the Bears are trying to justify their pick, and doing so in a very detrimental way for their team

TJ isn't a Lendale White coming into camp out of shape... THe guy is a monster... him or pittman have to be the two most muscular guys in the league for their frame...

Conditioning isn't an issue with TJ...

and the point you're overlooking is that really, conditioning isn't always the primary reason teams want their players at the off-season conditioning camps either.

I think we need some real statistics that shows what percentage of players and who attends "optional" team workouts.

Don’t have those but here is a partial list of guys who should be benched in favor of their backups:

fred taylor

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14094950/

charles woodson

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../607290528/1989

dante stallworth

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/spo...ts/15185936.htm

plaxico burress and jeremy shockey

http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/all-g...orefootball-hed

corner al harris

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../607290527/1951

chicago lb Lance Briggs

http://chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=16227

Chicago is the worst managed franchise from a player personel perspective...

Just look at their atrocious draft... Daniel Manning a round or two too early.. Devin Hester... They filled no holes..

There was a hilarious thread after the draft about Angelo in the War Room (that's been deleted, I guess).

"Let's go defense this round!"

<_< :blink: