Sign in to follow this  
slestack11

What's the worst fantasy advise you've ever gotten?

Now, I understand that it's a crapshoot as far as injuries are concerned so I don't mean things like drafting Emmitt Smith in the first round only to see him miss half the season with injuries. I'm talking about something like when footballguys.com tells me that Quincy Morgan is the next coming of TO and will be an elite receiver. This was printed in several articles two years ago on their website. Now, obviously, I didn't go ahead and draft Morgan in the 1st round or anything, but I waited on receivers so I can pick up some sleepers later. One of which was Quincy Morgan. Because he came so highly recommended prior to the season, I refused to drop him because I didn't want him to explode for like 10 TD's in the second half of the season (like Drew Bennett that same year). Of course, I dropped Bennett that season instead of Morgan. :huh: So not only did I waste a middle round pick on this chump, I also wasted a roster spot because I was scared to drop him. And this wasn't just for one league... I used this information from footballguys for my strategy in all leagues so Morgan was a cancer to my entire collection of rosters. Anyway, I know this scenario has happened to everyone at least once in the last 5 years. Please share. :headbanger:

Unfortunately it was the projections on this website for Barlow a couple of years ago when he became the full time back. We have a 2pt per reception psychotic bonus scoring system, and it had him at something like the third or fourth rated back. I took him mid second round or something like that. That year hurt... alot. In defense of this place, however, everyone had him rated too high.

Same for me -- Barlow two years ago. But it wasn't any single source; a lot of sites and mags were high on him that year, although some had him ranked significantly lower. I listened to those who thought he was going to have a big year, and it almost killed my team (I lucked out with some of my other picks, fortunately).

I know many (not all) of you guys are younglings and may not remember any of what's below because you were probably in diapers and or paying attention to other things since fantasy football wasn't really on the map way back when, but i'm sure a few die hard old schoolers can feel my pain....

Worst advice I ever got was way back when I believe it was 1988 or 1989 (in that area) I was about 12 or 13 years old and I was just really getting into football (Players statistics and the whole fantasy football thing)

Anyway I was entering my 2nd fantasy football draft with my brother in law being the main investor in a (big money lawyer league).... This was way before the internet $hit and before Magazines were involved... Anyway I was high on Warren Moon, because he looked really good the season before, then his season was cut short due to injury so in todays terms "he was a little under the radar"....

Some guy gave a big speech about how running backs due to the lack of clean cut starters were more important and should be taken in the first few rounds, etc... (sounds familiar even today)... Well I mean he was right, and people still preach that today about RB's, but It also turned out Warren Moon was absolutely DOMINANT that year fantasy wise throwing for almost 5,000 yards and 35 Td's or something outlandish like that.... the guy that selected him (in the 2nd round right before me) :huh: basically "Moon walked" away with like 2,000 bucks :P Oh and incase you're curious who I selected instead of Moon it was Christian Okoye.... to make matters worse after being the Chiefs leading rusher for 3 years in a row Marty Focking Schottenhiemer decided to go RBBC and Barry Word ended up outrushing Okoye that year... Sick how I can remember this ###### after about 16 years.... It feels like it was yesterday!!!!!!! It's bad enough Marty scarred me for life being the Browns HC when I was in my development stage (watching Elways stick it in our a$$ every year), but he screwed me in my first real big money fantasy football league as well... God I hate that S.O.B. :cheers:

Needless to say I've NEVER doubted myself or my gut picks EVER again, and refuse to take the advice of others... I mean I gather information if people make valid points, but advice is just that, advice... go with your gut

Christian Okoye.... to make matters worse after being the Chiefs leading rusher for 3 years in a row Marty Focking Schottenhiemer decided to go RBBC and Barry Word ended up outrushing Okoye that year...

Nigerian Nightmare! :wub:

It wasn't just Marty giving the cokehead a bunch of carries. Okoye had a bum knee that year...and every year after.

Nigerian Nightmare! :blink:

It wasn't just Marty giving the cokehead a bunch of carries. Okoye had a bum knee that year...and every year after.

Yep i never touched him (Okoye) again even though they flip flopped once again (Okoye out performed Word) the following year.... :doublethumbsup:

My first year in ff. Can't remember which mag it was but the advice, and I followed, was to make sure to get Curtis Enis as he was going to "break out in a big way". I think that was his final year and he didn't make it past September.

Heres some advice from 2 posters (one's a1426 post poster) on another board helping with 8th & 9th pick in 8 team draft this year

!. "J Lew (over Ronnie Brown because Brown will be sharing carries a bit)

2. With who..Sammy Morris?

If anything Lewis will be sharing carries with Chester Taylor & Mike Anderson

You are correct in saying RB/RB there will be many to choose from at #8 & #9 You might even get lucky and someone will take Manning before your pick.

Someone needs to tell poster no. 2 that Chester Taylor plays for the Vikings

Needless to say I've NEVER doubted myself or my gut picks EVER again, and refuse to take the advice of others... I mean I gather information if people make valid points, but advice is just that, advice... go with your gut

:first: Like Ras says, "go with your gut". Thats the fun in playing ff.

Worst advice I remember hearing was "Quentin Griffin has moves like Barry Sanders". Glad to say I pretty much ignored those comments, although I was a little concerned when he torched KC in week 1 of 2004.

;)

Unfortunately it was the projections on this website for Barlow a couple of years ago when he became the full time back. We have a 2pt per reception psychotic bonus scoring system, and it had him at something like the third or fourth rated back. I took him mid second round or something like that. That year hurt... alot. In defense of this place, however, everyone had him rated too high.

ABSOLUTELY!

:wall: :wall: :wall:

Ah! Memories. So many things!

The last main thing was I drafted T. Jones last year and also had J. Jones. I read on many a site that Ced Benson was going to be the man in Chicago. Before the season actually started I traded T. Jones for "at the time J. Jones' backup Anthony Thomas." T. Jones goes on to have the best year of his career and A. Thomas gets cut!

YEAH!

:wall:

Friend of mine was telling me how his father-in-law had been getting into fantasy football for the past few years. I guess he did pretty good in 2004, and was always seen with a fantasy football magazine. So preseason 2005, he calls up his son-in-law and says, "Man, have I got a GREAT fantasy tip for you. But I'll have to tell you the next time I see you." So my friend starts to think, maybe he knows what's going on, this could be good. So next time they get together, father-in-law reveals his tip...

"If you have the first overall pick, take Peyton Manning!"

:thumbsup: Like Ras says, "go with your gut". Thats the fun in playing ff.

Worst advice I remember hearing was "Quentin Griffin has moves like Barry Sanders". Glad to say I pretty much ignored those comments, although I was a little concerned when he torched KC in week 1 of 2004.

:banana:

Ah yeah that Kansas City defense... (if you even wanna call it a defense)...

DIE Gunther you don't deserve a paycheck... worst D Coordinator in the game

Same for me -- Barlow two years ago. But it wasn't any single source; a lot of sites and mags were high on him that year, although some had him ranked significantly lower. I listened to those who thought he was going to have a big year, and it almost killed my team (I lucked out with some of my other picks, fortunately).

Ditto

U have to draft RB, RB in the first 2 rounds, has never worked out for me, always go with best player available.

My first year of playing FF was in 98'. Heavily influenced by the two publications I read prior to the draft I picked the "allegedly" gay QB Kordell Stewart in the 1st round. :doh:

This is the first time I have admitted this publically. But it was a good lesson to learn in my 1st year.

Have another beer....my friend who outweighs us all opens one for everyone with each he opens and takes advantage of his size and our drunkenness

Fantasy Championship weekend last year and I'm in the Super Bowl.

I have to leave for work around noon so I have to get my final roster done an hour early.

The Gurus on the Mountain at CBS Sportsline pop a breaking news item up: It's rainy and windy in Kansas City and Trent Green's numbers should be cut in half because of the bad conditions. The Chiefs are going to play ball control and rely on Larry Johnson.

So, since Green is my starter, and I have to get going soon, I take that advice and swap in Steve McNair.

McNair throws a pick and gets popped in the 1st quarter and leaves the game. Total score ... -1

Green throws for 207 yards and 2 TDs. Score ... 18

I lose the championship by 7 points.

Damn you, CBS Sportsline! Damn You!

Actually, now that I think about it 10/11 seasons ago, my first year, I joined an established keeper league.

Since I was taking over a new team I got the first 2 draft picks. I read 2 Magazines. I put my complete faith in them since I knew nothing about FF.

My first 2 picks were Carl Pickens and Tim Brown... :banana:

Just thinking about it makes me want to grab a rope and hang myself...

:smileywithgun: :smileypointsguntohead: :smileypullstrigger: :smileybrainsplatter:

Actually, now that I think about it 10/11 seasons ago, my first year, I joined an established keeper league.

Since I was taking over a new team I got the first 2 draft picks. I read 2 Magazines. I put my complete faith in them since I knew nothing about FF.

My first 2 picks were Carl Pickens and Tim Brown... :doh:

Just thinking about it makes me want to grab a rope and hang myself...

:smileywithgun: :smileypointsguntohead: :smileypullstrigger: :smileybrainsplatter:

PICKENS !!!!!!! He led me to my first Overall points Title of my Dynasty League in 1996.... he was a MONSTER for 2 years 95-96, then got injured and fell off the map :( My guess is you took him in 1997 after his 100 catch 17 Td season...... Oh well dems da Breaks.... But He still has a place in my heart baby ! :mad:

Take Kickers early, they tend to go quickly and dont worry about running backs, you can always trade for one later. Good Luck. Oh and I'll take TJ Houshmanilly. Championship Baby!